Sign in to follow this  
JRam027

Joe Paterno fired.

Even the peaceful protesters make me sick to my stomach.

You misunderstand what they were protesting. Majority of PSU fans/students can agree that Paterno had to go, especially after testing administration by saying he'll coach out the year when the Board of Trustees had yet to make a ruling. Bold and foolish move.

Almost all PSU fans/students will agree that the way Paterno was relieved was absurd and that the media is getting way out of line. But to be fired over the phone? Incredibly unprofessional.That was what the protesting was mainly about. Shame on administration for announcing it at 10PM when students are on their own time, as well.

Yeah, the cries of "Not by phone" were just drowned out by the cries of "One more game" and "Hell no, Joe won't go".

You only see what the media shows you. ESPN also said that the majority were peaceful, but they managed to show nothing but the TV van being flipped

Only because of any backlash that might be directed at the victims.

What backlash towards the victims?! Do you see anyone crucifying the victims anywhere? I'd say that everyone is fully understanding of the victims

What backlash towards the victims?! Do you see anyone crucifying the victims anywhere? I'd say that everyone is fully understanding of the victims

The board of trustees got it wrong. They should have consulted the victims before making a decision on Mr. Paterno," Ben Andreozzi said. "They should have considered these victims watch TV and are aware of the students' reaction and may not want to be associated with the downfall of Mr. Paterno.

The way the Board reached its decision raises more concerns than the decision itself. There is no indication the Board considered the impact of the decision on the abuse victims," Andreozzi continued. "The school let the victims down once, and I think they owed it to the victims to at least gauge how the immediate termination decision would impact them as opposed to Mr. Paterno's resignation at the end of the year. These victims do not live in a bubble.

"They see the students reaction to the termination, and to think this does not weigh on their minds would be naive.

You only see what the media shows you. ESPN also said that the majority were peaceful, but they managed to show nothing but the TV van being flipped

At a time when major figures from their school are involved with a disgusting scandal surrounding the abuse and molestation of children, the students decide to protest (some peacefully and some not so much) the firing of JoePa? You're okay with this? It's the most absurd reaction to the situation so far. A show of support for the victims would have been much more appropriate.

At a time when major figures from their school are involved with a disgusting scandal surrounding the abuse and molestation of children, the students decide to protest (some peacefully and some not so much) the firing of JoePa? You're okay with this? It's the most absurd reaction to the situation so far. A show of support for the victims would have been much more appropriate.

Please continue to put words in my mouth. Read my first post in the thread. I said that Paterno and the entire University was wrong, I will not oppose that one bit. I also said that i grieve for the victims and their families. My issue is how the media is leaving out pretty vital information in their reports and making Paterno seem like he himself either raped the kids or witnessed Sandusky do it, and that the Board of Trustees at the University is handling this quite poorly

Please continue to put words in my mouth. Read my first post in the thread. I said that Paterno and the entire University was wrong, I will not oppose that one bit. I also said that i grieve for the victims and their families. My issue is how the media is leaving out pretty vital information in their reports and making Paterno seem like he himself either raped the kids or witnessed Sandusky do it, and that the Board of Trustees at the University is handling this quite poorly

I put no words in your mouth, I asked you a question. You defended the protest of JoePa's firing (not the rioting) but I submit to you that even the peaceful protest of his firing demonstrates a disheartening lack of focus on the part of the students involved who seem to be saying that football at Penn State is more important than the atrocious events being alleged.

The media, of course, is over focused on the most prominent figure, but that's what the media does. However, being that he is the most prominent figure on campus, doesn't that mean eh has more of a moral obligation, in these types of situations, to make sure the right thing is done and that the children are protected? While he did nothing wrong from a legal stand point, the lack of sound moral judgement is disturbing. If he had spoken out, if he had championed the cause of justice for these children, it wouldn't have been ignored, it couldn't have been ignored. He's Joe *****ing Paterno. So, yeah, maybe out of that whole group, he bares the brunt of the moral obligation to do the right thing in the eyes of the public and the media.

• Upvote 1

I've spoken to people I know who live and work in State College.

You are 100% wrong about what the majority of those protests were about, and about how bad they were.

You may think that the news media is sensationalist. That's fine, you're allowed to think that.

But that doesn't mean it's any less *****ing idiotic to assume that anything that the media tells you is automatically a lie or a gross misrepresentation.

Sometimes the media calls something a riot because that's what it *****ing is, even if that's not what it started off being or what some involved intended for it to be.