Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

Drug Testing for Welfare Benefits...

10 members have voted

1. 1. Drug testing for welfare applicants, is it a...

• Good idea
    • Rights violation
    • Neither
    • Both

How much does it cost to do the test? And what's the average check someone on welfare gets?

Read the links

$30-$35 on average for the test, 1500-2000 people tested so far, 2.5% denied benefits based on the results, and 2% declined to be tested. Only, this is only for temporary assistance, and they can reapply after a year, or after 6 months if they completed a drug treatment program. So, if they reapply and still get full assistance (I believe the term is 48 months max) then you haven't saved anything at all, you just delayed payment. But we can feel good about ourselves because we've spent 50-65 thousand dollars so far to "protect our tax dollars against the evil drug users".

You act like that the only drug out there they are testing for is weed. They do happen to test for more then just that one drug you know? And some of those drugs actually are quite destructive to a worker.

You aren't forced to take a drug test to get a job. There are still places that don't do it. Most of the places that do test are forced to do so by their insurance company, which is another giant sack of bull**** that doesn't serve the purpose it's supposed to and ultimately just wastes time and money.

I can get absolutely hammered every night of the week and as long as I don't show up to work drunk, I'm fine. But if I snorted a line at any time within the last month, I'm unfit to perform my job and am a danger to myself and others. *****.

How much does it cost to do the test? And what's the average check someone on welfare gets?

The total cost of giving everyone a drug test far outpaces the cost savings in denying people who test positive for drug use welfare money.

Essentially, a group of morons bought into a stereotype that most welfare users are habitual drug users and passed a law to stick it to them, only now it's being proven that the stereotype was ridiculous and it's costing the state thousands.

You act like that the only drug out there they are testing for is weed. They do happen to test for more then just that one drug you know? And some of those drugs actually are quite destructive to a worker.

Drug use that is actually destructive and affecting job performance can be dealt with because it affects job performance. It doesn't require a test. Just as you don't need to make sure your employees never get drunk, just that they don't let it affect their work.

Why not make the ones applying for the benefits pay for the drug test? We all know that while it was initially intended to be a safety net, it has turned into a freaking hammock. People just stay there instead of working. If you want to get paid to NOT work, the least you could do is pony up the cash for the drug test.

How is that not a win? If you're clean, you'll get your bennies to NOT work. If you're not clean, you don't get my money to NOT work. Simple as a screwdriver, really.

Why not make the ones applying for the benefits pay for the drug test? We all know that while it was initially intended to be a safety net, it has turned into a freaking hammock. People just stay there instead of working. If you want to get paid to NOT work, the least you could do is pony up the cash for the drug test.

How is that not a win? If you're clean, you'll get your bennies to NOT work. If you're not clean, you don't get my money to NOT work. Simple as a screwdriver, really.

Your plan is to make people with no income pay for a test they can't afford in order to get benefits to which they are legally entitled?

• Downvote 1

Your plan is to make people with no income pay for a test they can't afford in order to get benefits to which they are legally entitled?

From what that cnn article said, that might actually be the case. It said the applicant covers the initial cost and will be reimbursed if they qualify. Who knows what you have to do to qualify.

You do realize that this benefit has a maximum payout of 48 months, and only pays out to people living below a certain income level that are taking care of children. The maximum payout is $364 for a family of four. This is hardly a hammock.

unless you can prove that people who accept welfare sit on their ass, you're basically confirming the stereotypes of welfare citizens.

There's a reason stereotypes exist.

• Upvote 1

Like alcohol. Or carbs.