Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NCAA Football 2011 season Thread

Cam leaves and Auburn goes back to the same **** team they've been the last five or so years, who saw that coming?

everybody who has any college football knowledge at all.

they lost something like 16 starters.

http://vimeo.com/28516169

What would it be like if the BCS was used in other things?

I kind of want to move to the "South Eastern Condos" now.

the bcs is extremely flawed but the spelling bee thing doesn't hold up. Boise's schedule sucks. They should have a playoff though.

the bcs is extremely flawed but the spelling bee thing doesn't hold up. Boise's schedule sucks. They should have a playoff though.

Boise's control of their schedule is dictated by others.

Just like child's words in a spelling bee.

To argue that a team should be disqualified from playing for a title for reasons that are not only completely beyond their control, but that are beyond their control AND something that other teams have a vested interest in repeatedly sabotaging is ludicrous.

That was the point of the "Child X had harder words than you, so we had to adjust for that" portion of the video.

Boise's control of their schedule is dictated by others.

Just like child's words in a spelling bee.

To argue that a team should be disqualified from playing for a title for reasons that are not only completely beyond their control, but that are beyond their control AND something that other teams have a vested interest in repeatedly sabotaging is ludicrous.

That was the point of the "Child X had harder words than you, so we had to adjust for that" portion of the video.

Boise has complete control of their schedule. If they wanted to they could go independent.

But they also randomize the words. There would be outrage if a student had to spell cat, dog, tree, etc for all but two words while other contestants had significantly more difficult words. Boise in national championship games would be like having a CFL team beat the Patriots in the preseason then let them play their CFL schedule and hold a spot for them in the super bowl.

Boise has complete control of their schedule.

This is not only false, it's completely ridiculous. Boise's control of their OOC schedule is entirely dictated on other teams deigning to play them, and their control of what conference they are in is limited to deciding which of the non-AQ conferences that will take them they want to play in.

If they wanted to they could go independent.

Turning the problem they currently have for their OOC schedule and making it a problem for their entire schedule. Also, without a conference media deal, and without the financial support to form their own network, the idea of independence is ludicrous any way. It's not financially feasible.

But they also randomize the words. There would be outrage if a student had to spell cat, dog, tree, etc for all but two words while other contestants had significantly more difficult words.

I agree. All teams should have their schedules randomized to some extent for fairness. They aren't, though, which is the fundamental point being made, and I can't figure out why this problem only applies to Boise St's conference schedule, and not the OOC schedule for AQ teams. UF hasn't played an OOC game outside of the state of Florida since 1994 for *****'s sake.

Not to mention that Boise St. repeatedly said they'd play anyone on their field with no return game, and none of the real big time schools would even agree to THAT.

Boise in national championship games would be like having a CFL team beat the Patriots in the preseason then let them play their CFL schedule and hold a spot for them in the super bowl.

So Boise can't ever be good enough to play for a national title because they don't play enough AQ teams.

Which they don't do because they're not in an AQ conference. Which they have no control over.

And they can't schedule enough games with high-ranking AQ teams because none of those teams will agree to play them, because the potential blemish of losing to a non-AQ team outweighs any benefit to beating Boise St. So those teams refuse to schedule Boise St, even when Boise St is bending over backwards like a D-II school. Which they have no control over.

Yes, this is the model of a fair system that doesn't in any way give ludicrous benefits to old guard teams with lots of money, while also giving them increasing financial incentive to block out new teams. I can see why people would support it.

Jesus, I don't even LIKE Boise St. I just think that a system that says that 8-4 UCONN belongs in a BCS bowl and 11-1 Boise St belongs in the MAACO Las Vegas bowl is nuts.

Not to mention that Boise St. repeatedly said they'd play anyone on their field with no return game, and none of the real big time schools would even agree to THAT.

Yeah, no.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/329732-nebraska-offers-boise-state-2-for-1-deal-why-wont-bsu-accept

"That's from Bleacher Report, they're not credible."

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/24447857

Boise is all hot air when it comes to their "We'll play anyone, anywhere" promise. They don't deserve to be anywhere near the title game until they earn it by beating real teamS in a season. Nobody else gets to use wins in past years, neither does Boise. FSU and Notre Dame back in the day would actually play anyone, anywhere. They paved the road for themselves, not Boise. The Obama plan doesn't translate to college football.

This is not only false, it's completely ridiculous. Boise's control of their OOC schedule is entirely dictated on other teams deigning to play them, and their control of what conference they are in is limited to deciding which of the non-AQ conferences that will take them they want to play in.

Turning the problem they currently have for their OOC schedule and making it a problem for their entire schedule. Also, without a conference media deal, and without the financial support to form their own network, the idea of independence is ludicrous any way. It's not financially feasible.

I agree. All teams should have their schedules randomized to some extent for fairness. They aren't, though, which is the fundamental point being made, and I can't figure out why this problem only applies to Boise St's conference schedule, and not the OOC schedule for AQ teams. UF hasn't played an OOC game outside of the state of Florida since 1994 for *****'s sake.

So Boise can't ever be good enough to play for a national title because they don't play enough AQ teams.

Which they don't do because they're not in an AQ conference. Which they have no control over.

And they can't schedule enough games with high-ranking AQ teams because none of those teams will agree to play them, because the potential blemish of losing to a non-AQ team outweighs any benefit to beating Boise St. So those teams refuse to schedule Boise St, even when Boise St is bending over backwards like a D-II school. Which they have no control over.

Yes, this is the model of a fair system that doesn't in any way give ludicrous benefits to old guard teams with lots of money, while also giving them increasing financial incentive to block out new teams. I can see why people would support it.

Jesus, I don't even LIKE Boise St. I just think that a system that says that 8-4 UCONN belongs in a BCS bowl and 11-1 Boise St belongs in the MAACO Las Vegas bowl is nuts.

Oh come on that's bull. Lets just give Northern Illinois, UCF, etc open invites to high profile games because they beat up on terrible opponents all year.

The BCS is terrible and a playoff needs to happen but lets not all act like giving Boise a free pass will fix everything when Boise wouldn't be more successful than contemporary Miami in a real conference

Yeah, no.

http://bleacherrepor...wont-bsu-accept

"That's from Bleacher Report, they're not credible."

http://college-footb...156338/24447857

Boise is all hot air when it comes to their "We'll play anyone, anywhere" promise. They don't deserve to be anywhere near the title game until they earn it by beating real teamS in a season. Nobody else gets to use wins in past years, neither does Boise. FSU and Notre Dame back in the day would actually play anyone, anywhere. They paved the road for themselves, not Boise. The Obama plan doesn't translate to college football.

...Really?

You do realize that 1m for a road game isn't all that far off from what Northern Idaho would be getting paid for a trip to Nebraska, right?

Or are you suggesting that Boise St should have to take no money at all ever in order to book major schools?

The BCS is terrible and a playoff needs to happen but lets not all act like giving Boise a free pass will fix everything

That's a straw-man, and a silly one, like when people claim that I never watch basketball games and base my entire opinion on stats.

No one has suggested that Boise get a free pass ever.

What has been suggested is that the current Bowl system is a fossil of an era when teams couldn't afford to travel more than a few hundred miles for a typical road game and teams had a lot less financial power, and that any era that is both blatantly corrupt and actively encourages AQ conferences to both look down on and actively seek to exclude non-AQ schools needs to be overhauled.

The only reason there isn't a playoff already is because there is too much money in bowls no one really cares about, the "Mr. Holiday and Mr. Cotton"s of the video to ever allow it.

Even if you think that Boise could never beat an AQ team or whatever, there is simply no rational argument I can think of that says an undefeated team wouldn't belong in an 8 team playoff for a championship.

That's a straw-man, and a silly one, like when people claim that I never watch basketball games and base my entire opinion on stats.

No one has suggested that Boise get a free pass ever.

What has been suggested is that the current Bowl system is a fossil of an era when teams couldn't afford to travel more than a few hundred miles for a typical road game and teams had a lot less financial power, and that any era that is both blatantly corrupt and actively encourages AQ conferences to both look down on and actively seek to exclude non-AQ schools needs to be overhauled.

The only reason there isn't a playoff already is because there is too much money in bowls no one really cares about, the "Mr. Holiday and Mr. Cotton"s of the video to ever allow it.

Even if you think that Boise could never beat an AQ team or whatever, there is simply no rational argument I can think of that says an undefeated team wouldn't belong in an 8 team playoff for a championship.

What are we even arguing about then? I want a playoff, I wouldn't mind Boise being in that playoff, I just don't want to hand them a spot in a national championship game over a one loss team who actually has to play a full season of opponents.