Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NCAA Football 2011 season Thread

Only a few weeks away so I guess it is time to throw this up and start our annual trash talking thread. Looking major league forward to this year, with my Knights poised to try and pull off an even better season then there greatest ever last year, and my Gators breaking in a new coach and offensive system a bit more tailored to Brantley's strengths.

Jeff-Godfrey.jpg

And here is for the real fun story. All 'U' fans look out... Pretty Damning stuff coming in from Yahoo sports.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and, on one occasion, an abortion.

http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&tid=146461903&mid=146461903&sid=908&style=2

Dare I say it... Death penalty?

Only a few weeks away so I guess it is time to throw this up and start our annual trash talking thread. Looking major league forward to this year, with my Knights poised to try and pull off an even better season then there greatest ever last year, and my Gators breaking in a new coach and offensive system that doesn't advertise blatantly every play whether it will be a run or pass and only have 2 run playsa bit more tailored to Brantley's strengths.

Fixed it for you. :)

The most important day in recent Gator history was getting rid of Addazio.

I would have taken a year of not signing any recruits and only taking non-scholarship walk-ons to get rid of him.

I just want to see Trey's reaction if the SEC scoops up FSU.

Ugh.

Although would be funny to see them be bottom feeders. They haven't been any good since they had to begin actually playing more than 2 games a year.

I'm anxious to see what happens to recruits who were named in the report who wound up at other schools.

Nominally speaking, you're supposed to be declared ineligible to play for a school if they had illegal contact, but that typically doesn't apply to OTHER schools.

But given the severity of some of these allegations, there may be penalties anyway.

I can't believe that the Death Penalty is going to be on the table for a school again. I never thought that'd happen again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tyler Wilson will do in his first year for the Razorbacks. I'm not expecting Heisman numbers from him. Just game management. It really hurts us that Knile Davis is out for the season. That's a huge blow to our run game.

Ugh.

Although would be funny to see them be bottom feeders. They haven't been any good since they had to begin actually playing more than 2 games a year.

That's a pretty ignorant take...

I'm anxious to see what happens to recruits who were named in the report who wound up at other schools.

Nominally speaking, you're supposed to be declared ineligible to play for a school if they had illegal contact, but that typically doesn't apply to OTHER schools.

But given the severity of some of these allegations, there may be penalties anyway.

I can't believe that the Death Penalty is going to be on the table for a school again. I never thought that'd happen again.

I believe this states that the recruits who went to other schools should be in the clear

13.01.1 Eligibility Effects of Recruiting Violation. The recruitment of a student-athlete by a member institution or any representative of its athletics interests in violation of the Association’s legislation, as acknowledged by the institution or established through the Association’s enforcement procedures, shall result in the student-athlete becoming ineligible to represent THAT INSTITUTION in intercollegiate athletics. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement may restore the eligibility of a student involved in such a violation only when circumstances clearly warrant restoration. A student is responsible for his or her involvement in a violation of NCAA regulations during the student’s recruitment, and involvement in a major violation (see Bylaw 19.02.2.2) may cause the student to become permanently ineligible for intercollegiate athletics competition at THAT INSTITUTION.

Ugh.

Right, bottom feeders.

Even though they would be in the East, where Vanderbilt and Kentucky are routinely terrible, along with Tennessee and Georgia who are also terrible but nobody seems to notice due to the logo on their helmet. The only teams that are ever good in the East is Florida (whom FSU blew the doors off of last year) and sometimes South Carolina (whom FSU also beat last year). FSU would've ran away with the East last year and would most likely do so this year as well.

Right, bottom feeders.

Even though they would be in the East, where Vanderbilt and Kentucky are routinely terrible, along with Tennessee and Georgia who are also terrible but nobody seems to notice due to the logo on their helmet. The only teams that are ever good in the East is Florida (whom FSU blew the doors off of last year) and sometimes South Carolina (whom FSU also beat last year). FSU would've ran away with the East last year and would most likely do so this year as well.

Yup. and that was year 1 of rebuilding with an entirely new support structure and strength and conditioning program. Plug in a #1 recruiting class and there's a reason we're starting out at #5 this year.

I just want to see Trey's reaction if the SEC scoops up FSU.

My reaction? It would help recruiting (not much since we're already very good in that area). The folks at the world wide leader have convinced everyone that the SEC is better than the NFC East, so naturally college kids want to play there now. My beef isn't with the SEC itself, or the teams in it (except Florida, but only cause they're a rival). It's with the fans and the media making them out to be a lot more than what they are. The SEC is a conference loaded with teams that are rich in tradition, but being rich in tradition doesn't mean you're a good team RIGHT NOW. People act as if Peyton Manning is still at Tennessee. He's not, and they're terrible. The SEC has one, sometimes two, elite teams in it year in and year out. That's then followed by three or four teams that are solid, good not great, and then the bottom six are downright awful. The "every week is a tough week in the SEC" line is a joke, if they said that about just the SEC West, I could go along with it. But even then, Ole Miss is currently terrible, Auburn was a .500 team until Cam Newton arrived, and Mississippi State was routinely horrible until just this past season they reached mediocrity. That's half the division right there.

EDIT: My other beef that I never got to due to my rambling was that the SEC never plays anybody out of conference, with the exception of LSU. But even then, LSU never plays on the road.

Fun fact, did you know Tim Tebow never played a game outside of the southeastern US (mop up duty in the first BCS Championship doesn't count)?