Sign in to follow this  
A Better DJ & Photographer

NBA sues players union

There could be some games fixed to meet the spread, but fact of the matter is that the NBA is one of the hardest games to call. Stern's already opening up to getting a 4th ref to work the monitor all game but at the same time he doesn't want games to be 5 hours long because of refs going through replays every second. . .

Sometimes I think they just need a ref that is actually watching the game LOL.

Anyone who has watched post-Donaghy NBA can tell that's a load of crap.

I've watched as much basketball in the post-Donaghy NBA as anyone, and you're strawmanning here. I've seen nothing from NBA officiating in that time frame that wouldn't be more easily explained by incompetence rather than corruption. More on that later.

Most analysts also refuse to believe that a fix could happen to their game. Hell, look at any sport when a terrible call happens, ESPN always says, 'It appears they MIGHT have gotten the call wrong.' I'm not saying every bad call is a fix, just pointing out that anything with refs is a touchy subject because of what the worst result could be (fix) and they don't want to believe that.

Lack of proof of a negative isn't proof of a positive. If we're going to take the position that no analyst, or even only a very select few analysts, would ever admit that the entire NBA is rigged even if it was, we can't then automatically assume that the fact that no one, save conspiracy theorists, is suggesting the games are rigged makes it an ipso/facto truth.

Has nothing to do with odds, do some more research on that draft.

What, you mean like those ridiculous conspiracy theories about how Stern knew which envelope to grab based on creases in the envelope?

You know what, I'm going to choose to believe this conspiracy is true. I also now believe the moon landings were faked because the footage looks like a guy running with a heavy backpack in slow motion, which like....totally proves its fake.

Cavs/Magic Eastern Conference Finals. That was so much more than a star just getting some calls.

Is explained by incompetence far easier than conspiracy. Aggressive players get calls they don't deserve because NBA officials are bad. It's the basis for Corey Maggette's entire career, and Maggette draws FTAs at a higher rate(relative to shot attempts) than Lebron does. Is Stern rigging the game for Corey Maggette?

True, but it doesn't help his case that he has never addressed the referee situation. Whether it's a fix or the refs are just bad that's something a commissioner needs to address. Even Roger Goodell would do something, most likely fire all the black refs though, bad example. He's never tried to fix that area of the game, and what makes it fishy is nobody is allowed to talk about it.

He tried very hard to address it 2 years ago, and fan response completely undercut him. So all those problems you have with officiating? There your fault. And mine. And everyone else's.

The refs' union has way too much power, and during their last contract negotiations, Stern locked them out. He wanted them to take less money and have a lot more accountability. They balked, and we started a season with those godawful scab refs.

Fans were upset that the refs were even worse, the refs' union used that to their advantage and they got what they wanted. Stern COULDN'T play hardball with them, because fan response completely undercut his position. Ultimately, no one was willing to go through rough seas for a potentially better future, and now people like you complain constantly that we didn't get to that better future with no sacrifice.

I think people fail to realize how little power Stern has when it comes to the refs' union. Do you realize that Stern could find out Ref X was deliberately shaving points tomorrow, and he couldn't fire them without the union's permission? Do you realize that there is no training program for NBA refs and no mandatory retirement age for refs because the refs' union won't allow them? Had it not been for the FBI, Stern couldn't have even fired Donaghy for *****'s sake.

There could be some games fixed to meet the spread,

I'm sure this has happened multiple times. Common sense dictates that people will get greedy and/or stupid at some point.

I've just seen nothing to suggest that isolated incidents are a part of a large conspiracy with Stern at its head.

I didn't realize how much I missed you guys until I skimmed through replies. Typical.