Sign in to follow this  
Osmosis

Do we got any real Christains here?

Optimist - out of curiosity, how did you choose your particular sect or denomination or whatever it's called?

It actually took a long time. I've been a Christian for about four years now, and probably only considered myself Anglican for the past two (only began really studying it the past one and a half). Of course, I had a whole lot of other things to figure out before worrying about my denominational choice (I find that it's a very minor detail).

When I first went to an Anglican church, I didn't like it. And I started going around to other churches to get a feel for the different types of worship services. Eventually, I found myself coming back to the Anglican church and started to learn more about why they do a lot of the things that they do. It is a liturgical church, which is a lot like the Catholic and Orthodox churches. It means that we recite the creeds, stand and kneel, and celebrate the Eucharist through the Book of Common Prayer. I think the tradition is a great way to tie yourself to the historical church, since Christians for the past two thousand years have spoken the same prayers and done the same actions that we are doing in the service. The word liturgy comes from the Latin term meaning "work of the people". So, the service is supposed to be an active participation of everyone in the congregation, and not to be focused on whoever is up front.

Another really cool thing is the small stuff you don't really see until you've been in the church a while. Like, the cross is at the front of the church, and rather than the priest speak from the center of the stage, he speaks off to the side, because it is a reminder that Christ is the focus of all things. Also, the weekly celebration of the Eucharist (the bread and the wine) is a great reminder for me of the love of Christ. Another thing is that the Cross is always processed down the aisle and we bow as it goes by us. The church calendar is also great.

I wish I could be more detailed about these things, but it's hard when writing it down, and I don't want to ramble. But, these are some things that really attract me to the Anglican church. And if you are interested, the Anglican articles of faith outline the general views of the Anglican church as it pertains to the Christian faith.

I was actually just confirmed in the Anglican church this past May. So, I'm still pretty new to the whole thing.

@Prime

Thanks for the educated input. I respect your point of view

Thanks, man. I'm always open to talking about this stuff, and I really enjoy doing it. So if you ever have questions, just let me know. You can PM me and I can send you my email or something.

It actually took a long time. I've been a Christian for about four years now, and probably only considered myself Anglican for the past two (only began really studying it the past one and a half). Of course, I had a whole lot of other things to figure out before worrying about my denominational choice (I find that it's a very minor detail).

When I first went to an Anglican church, I didn't like it. And I started going around to other churches to get a feel for the different types of worship services. Eventually, I found myself coming back to the Anglican church and started to learn more about why they do a lot of the things that they do. It is a liturgical church, which is a lot like the Catholic and Orthodox churches. It means that we recite the creeds, stand and kneel, and celebrate the Eucharist through the Book of Common Prayer. I think the tradition is a great way to tie yourself to the historical church, since Christians for the past two thousand years have spoken the same prayers and done the same actions that we are doing in the service. The word liturgy comes from the Latin term meaning "work of the people". So, the service is supposed to be an active participation of everyone in the congregation, and not to be focused on whoever is up front.

Another really cool thing is the small stuff you don't really see until you've been in the church a while. Like, the cross is at the front of the church, and rather than the priest speak from the center of the stage, he speaks off to the side, because it is a reminder that Christ is the focus of all things. Also, the weekly celebration of the Eucharist (the bread and the wine) is a great reminder for me of the love of Christ. Another thing is that the Cross is always processed down the aisle and we bow as it goes by us. The church calendar is also great.

I wish I could be more detailed about these things, but it's hard when writing it down, and I don't want to ramble. But, these are some things that really attract me to the Anglican church. And if you are interested, the Anglican articles of faith outline the general views of the Anglican church as it pertains to the Christian faith.

I was actually just confirmed in the Anglican church this past May. So, I'm still pretty new to the whole thing.

Thanks, man. I'm always open to talking about this stuff, and I really enjoy doing it. So if you ever have questions, just let me know. You can PM me and I can send you my email or something.

Out of curiosity, what lead you to choose the Anglican Church over the Catholic Church? I have always found it odd that a Church that was founded Henry VIII desire for personal funding and religious authority to grant himself a divorce is odd and who's head is ordained through birthright and oftentimes do no want the responsibility in any way is also odd. Especially since they still keep very close ties with the Catholic Church and ordained members basically can move freely from one to another (for example, priests resigning from Anglican or Catholic Church do to specific philosophical differences and then joining the other Church.)

Out of curiosity, what lead you to choose the Anglican Church over the Catholic Church? I have always found it odd that a Church that was founded Henry VIII desire for personal funding and religious authority to grant himself a divorce is odd and who's head is ordained through birthright and oftentimes do no want the responsibility in any way is also odd.

Actually, the assumption that the Anglican church began under Henry VII is a big misconception. It's like how today's Anglican-Episcopal split is said to have been over Gay rights, when that had very little to do with the split at all.

Firstly, the church had been in England for over 1000 years, with the law in place that the King should keep order and govern society, which included protecting the church. In the context of this law, Henry VIII's decision to split from Rome effected the church, but actual reform from the Catholic practice did not occur until later, during the reformation. During this time is when the Book of Common Prayer, Articles of Faith and the like were created. Though the Act of Supremacy transferred the Papal authority to the Monarchy, Henry VIII did very little to change the life or practice of the Church.

The true establishment of the Anglican church did not come until Elizabeth I. I guess many forget that Queen Mary abolished the changes that Henry VIII made and returned the Church of England to the Papacy. When Elizabeth I came into power, she decided to find a middle ground for the Church of England. Rather than settle for either radical protestantism or strict Catholicism, she reestablished the theological treatises that came under Edward VI (Henry's son); BCP, Articles, Supremacy, etc.

It is during this time that the true Anglican church was formed, and it had nothing to do with Henry VIII, but everything to do with the reformations taking place all over Europe at the time, and the voice of the people of England. And though the Monarch holds authority, they do not exercise it (much like their political power), but rather it is the Archbishop of Canterbury who is mostly seen as the voice of the Anglican church.

Especially since they still keep very close ties with the Catholic Church and ordained members basically can move freely from one to another (for example, priests resigning from Anglican or Catholic Church do to specific philosophical differences and then joining the other Church.)

The Anglican and Catholic church have gone through their struggles, and only recently have they been able to reach over to one another in an effort to work together for the common good. But, this is not strictly confined to Anglican-Catholic relations, the Catholic church has been attempting to reach out to all churches since Vatican II.

It is not "easy" to transfer over between churches. Not only is it almost like turning your back on the one church you are leaving, but it is a very difficult process to undergo. There are so many different aspects within the churches, that it could take years to be fully recognized in one church or another-- especially for a someone who desires to remain ordained. In fact, I have a friend who wanted to convert to Catholicism, and the process took nearly a year. Just imagine how long it would take for a priest (and one who might be married, no less). Priests already must go through an entire discernment process when they want to be ordained, that itself could take years when you are already a part of the church you want to be ordained in. To convert over to another and go through that again would prove to be a very trying process.

There are many different practices and beliefs of the Catholic church that I don't agree with, not the least of these being papal supremacy. You may question how this is different than the supremacy of the Monarch in the Anglican church, but I again not only refer to their lack of exercising this supremacy, but this supremacy does not extend to matters of doctrine. But, I don't want to go into my misgivings here, as that is not the point of this discussion. Like I said before, I still have much respect for the Catholic church and have many friends who are a part of it.

• Upvote 2

Actually, the assumption that the Anglican church began under Henry VII is a big misconception. It's like how today's Anglican-Episcopal split is said to have been over Gay rights, when that had very little to do with the split at all.

Firstly, the church had been in England for over 1000 years, with the law in place that the King should keep order and govern society, which included protecting the church. In the context of this law, Henry VIII's decision to split from Rome effected the church, but actual reform from the Catholic practice did not occur until later, during the reformation. During this time is when the Book of Common Prayer, Articles of Faith and the like were created. Though the Act of Supremacy transferred the Papal authority to the Monarchy, Henry VIII did very little to change the life or practice of the Church.

The true establishment of the Anglican church did not come until Elizabeth I. I guess many forget that Queen Mary abolished the changes that Henry VIII made and returned the Church of England to the Papacy. When Elizabeth I came into power, she decided to find a middle ground for the Church of England. Rather than settle for either radical protestantism or strict Catholicism, she reestablished the theological treatises that came under Edward VI (Henry's son); BCP, Articles, Supremacy, etc.

It is during this time that the true Anglican church was formed, and it had nothing to do with Henry VIII, but everything to do with the reformations taking place all over Europe at the time, and the voice of the people of England. And though the Monarch holds authority, they do not exercise it (much like their political power), but rather it is the Archbishop of Canterbury who is mostly seen as the voice of the Anglican church.

The Anglican and Catholic church have gone through their struggles, and only recently have they been able to reach over to one another in an effort to work together for the common good. But, this is not strictly confined to Anglican-Catholic relations, the Catholic church has been attempting to reach out to all churches since Vatican II.

It is not "easy" to transfer over between churches. Not only is it almost like turning your back on the one church you are leaving, but it is a very difficult process to undergo. There are so many different aspects within the churches, that it could take years to be fully recognized in one church or another-- especially for a someone who desires to remain ordained. In fact, I have a friend who wanted to convert to Catholicism, and the process took nearly a year. Just imagine how long it would take for a priest (and one who might be married, no less). Priests already must go through an entire discernment process when they want to be ordained, that itself could take years when you are already a part of the church you want to be ordained in. To convert over to another and go through that again would prove to be a very trying process.

There are many different practices and beliefs of the Catholic church that I don't agree with, not the least of these being papal supremacy. You may question how this is different than the supremacy of the Monarch in the Anglican church, but I again not only refer to their lack of exercising this supremacy, but this supremacy does not extend to matters of doctrine. But, I don't want to go into my misgivings here, as that is not the point of this discussion. Like I said before, I still have much respect for the Catholic church and have many friends who are a part of it.

+1 Thanks for the thorough reply. Will definitely read again.

• Upvote 1

I am Christian. Times are very hard now, and I am waiting and looking for the Rupture to happen soon. The last few days have been rough because of the misjustice down to Caylee Anthony, but I know that Casey will face God for judgment she will not have Baez and Mason and a flawed system to get her out of it. God knows exactly what happen. Casey cannot lie her way out of that one. For all the crazy and angry people out there- remember God says revenage is mine.

I am Christian. Times are very hard now, and I am waiting and looking for the Rupture to happen soon. The last few days have been rough because of the misjustice down to Caylee Anthony, but I know that Casey will face God for judgment she will not have Baez and Mason and a flawed system to get her out of it. God knows exactly what happen. Casey cannot lie her way out of that one. For all the crazy and angry people out there- remember God says revenage is mine.

Not sure that's the best way to look at the situation, Hardnocks. I mean, it's definitely something that deserves justice, but would you not rather Casey turn from her ways and repent of the crime she committed?

"As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live."

Since you are a Christian, I feel that I can ask you this... What about Casey Anthony makes her life more deserving of Hell than your own? Are we not all deserving of the punishment of death? Then, why should you, with the same mind which rejoices in your own salvation, condemn another to separation from that very salvation?

The proper action to take would be to pray for Caylee and Casey both. Pray that Casey might experience the ministry of reconciliation to God and repent of the sin she has committed, but also that justice would be served on behalf of Caylee Anthony. This does not mean that you must fend for Casey Anthony or take her side in the matter, but it is not right to leave one to die in their sin.

Please, do not think that the proper action to take toward those who you view as enemies is to heap condemnation. That is not the way. It is right to be angry about the injustice of the situation, but do not brood upon it.

I would also like to ask you... How often has using God's vengeance as an evangelism tactic worked for you?

Not sure that's the best way to look at the situation, Hardnocks. I mean, it's definitely something that deserves justice, but would you not rather Casey turn from her ways and repent of the crime she committed?

"As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live."

Since you are a Christian, I feel that I can ask you this... What about Casey Anthony makes her life more deserving of Hell than your own? Are we not all deserving of the punishment of death? Then, why should you, with the same mind which rejoices in your own salvation, condemn another to separation from that very salvation?

The proper action to take would be to pray for Caylee and Casey both. Pray that Casey might experience the ministry of reconciliation to God and repent of the sin she has committed, but also that justice would be served on behalf of Caylee Anthony. This does not mean that you must fend for Casey Anthony or take her side in the matter, but it is not right to leave one to die in their sin.

Please, do not think that the proper action to take toward those who you view as enemies is to heap condemnation. That is not the way. It is right to be angry about the injustice of the situation, but do not brood upon it.

I would also like to ask you... How often has using God's vengeance as an evangelism tactic worked for you?

I apologize, I did not make myself clear. I am against death sentences for crimes. The Anthony Family, Casey and Jurors are receiving death threats from upset people. I am against this. We need to remind people that this is God's right to take vengence.

I do pray that Casey finds the path and will accept the Lord. This topic is must upsetting to me because I have two young daughters and it is hard for me to think about it. The only time I ever mention that vengeance is God's is when someone talks about getting even with someone for something. When I explain to someone that we do not need ti resort to "getting some one back" because God handles these situations, it works well for me so far.

• Upvote 2

I apologize, I did not make myself clear. I am against death sentences for crimes. The Anthony Family, Casey and Jurors are receiving death threats from upset people. I am against this. We need to remind people that this is God's right to take vengence.

I do pray that Casey finds the path and will accept the Lord. This topic is must upsetting to me because I have two young daughters and it is hard for me to think about it. The only time I ever mention that vengeance is God's is when someone talks about getting even with someone for something. When I explain to someone that we do not need ti resort to "getting some one back" because God handles these situations, it works well for me so far.

Thank you for clarifying. This is much better!

May God bless you abundantly with his comforting love. And the peace which transcends all understanding be with you always. Amen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread has gone from talking about divine stains to something called the Rupture, and I'm not sure I want to know what that is.

:shard: