Sign in to follow this  
Optimist Prime

War on Orlando

They weren't arrested for feeding the poor.

They were arrested for refusing to get a permit to feed the poor in large numbers in a public park, something they already knew was legally required of them, given that they'd already obtained the permit multiple times in the past. They were warned, they ignored it, they got arrested.

I don't mind the FNB people simply refusing to obey a law they deemed unlawful, and facing punishment accordingly. That's textbook civil disobedience. But I really don't understand why they're all acting so shocked when they get arrested.

It really undercuts the message they're trying to get across when they claim they didn't know or understand the legal protocol when they'd already followed it in the past.

• Upvote 1

They weren't arrested for feeding the poor.

They were arrested for refusing to get a permit to feed the poor in large numbers in a public park, something they already knew was legally required of them, given that they'd already obtained the permit multiple times in the past. They were warned, they ignored it, they got arrested.

I don't mind the FNB people simply refusing to obey a law they deemed unlawful, and facing punishment accordingly. That's textbook civil disobedience. But I really don't understand why they're all acting so shocked when they get arrested.

It really undercuts the message they're trying to get across when they claim they didn't know or understand the legal protocol when they'd already followed it in the past.

From what I've read, the major people involved seem to know exactly what they're doing. The problem is the college kids who are there helping out, and they also seem more apt to get a quote into the paper.

Even so, you're right about that hurting the message. This is why I can't be in charge of any kind of organization like that. I'd be refusing help on the grounds of idiocy way more than would be advisable.

What about them annoys you?

The constant begging. I realize I sound like an ******* for saying it, but I'm saying outloud what everyone else feels, so is it that bad?

In my life experience, I've yet to come across a person who is homeless that has begged me or even asked me for a dime.

Now people who "need gas money" or their "car broke down", well, I've come across those several times. I gave in once or twice, but have told myself not to again unless I see a car/proof/etc.

Not that I don't like helping my fellow man, I just don't like when my fellow man lies to me. If Joe Schmo walked up and said "Listen, I'm an alcoholic and need $20 bucks to buy a bottle", I'd appreciate him more. Though I still probably wouldn't give him money.

But yeah, homeless folks. Nope. They don't bother me, nor have I ever encountered one begging me for my change.

In my life experience, I've yet to come across a person who is homeless that has begged me or even asked me for a dime.

Now people who "need gas money" or their "car broke down", well, I've come across those several times. I gave in once or twice, but have told myself not to again unless I see a car/proof/etc.

Not that I don't like helping my fellow man, I just don't like when my fellow man lies to me. If Joe Schmo walked up and said "Listen, I'm an alcoholic and need $20 bucks to buy a bottle", I'd appreciate him more. Though I still probably wouldn't give him money.

But yeah, homeless folks. Nope. They don't bother me, nor have I ever encountered one begging me for my change.

That's because you live in Daytona. I see more and more bums making base on the off ramps of 1-4 heading into Orlando every week. It's seems I can't go 3 days without a homless man/woman asking for "some money to feed his/her kids <_<

That's because you live in Daytona. I see more and more bums making base on the off ramps of 1-4 heading into Orlando every week. It's seems I can't go 3 days without a homless man/woman asking for "some money to feed his/her kids <_<

I know, Daytona couldn't possibly have homeless folk. Preposterous!