Sign in to follow this  
BMP

Justin Harper

Just to clarify for everyone, Harper is already the best defensive PF Orlando has. And that isn't even his strength. Unlike Bass and Anderson, Harper knows how to rotate on D. Anyone who knows anything about U of R coach Chris Mooney knows that he runs one of the most impressive defenses in the nation. Harper may not be a spectacular interior defender, but he will not spend half the game out of position like Bass and Anderson. And he can block shots, something neither of the current guys can do.

Just to clarify for everyone, Harper is already the best defensive PF Orlando has. And that isn't even his strength. Unlike Bass and Anderson, Harper knows how to rotate on D. Anyone who knows anything about U of R coach Chris Mooney knows that he runs one of the most impressive defenses in the nation. Harper may not be a spectacular interior defender, but he will not spend half the game out of position like Bass and Anderson. And he can block shots, something neither of the current guys can do.

ok, ok, now you're just giving out false praise. He averaged 1.6 blocks per game in the atlantic 10. that's not being a shot blocker.

Never known as the toughest or most active player throughout his career, Harper is just an average rebounder at best, collecting an unspectacular 9.4 rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted. While occasionally he will crash the offensive glass, he does not have great fundamentals and oftentimes finds himself out of position on the perimeter.

On defense, Harper displays just average lateral quickness and could struggle guarding perimeter oriented power forwards at the next level. He is not the most consistent defender either, particularly inside where his lack of strength does him few favors, but where he also fails to contest every shot.

He will have to prove to scouts that he can play with intensity and consistency against interior and perimeter oriented big men, as this is not something he's been known for in his four years at Richmond.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Harper-6341/playerblog/#ixzz1QAOdM1p3'>http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Harper-6341/playerblog/#ixzz1QAOdM1p3

http://www.draftexpress.com

Also really hope this guy isn't an idiot. Someone please tell me he isn't one.

he's not. he takes care of the ball and takes good shots. I think if he's playing at Kansas or Uconn he's a top 15 pick.

he's not. he takes care of the ball and takes good shots. I think if he's playing at Kansas or Uconn he's a top 15 pick.

Agreed... Easily...

I'm sorry, but I think I've seen Harper more and am better equipped to comment on his D than some "draft analyst" who probably watched a few highlights. I never said he was a great shot-blocker, only that he is a lot better than Bass or Anderson. And yes, as a starter his sophomore and junior seasons, he was known to be out of position occasionally on D. But as I said, Mooney runs a complicated defense. I went to almost every home game this season at U of R, and this guy has learned to play smart D. Every player who plays for Chris Mooney struggles to pick up his system at first, but the ones who have figured it out have turned into great defenders. Harper is very smart (for those of you who don't know, U of R is one of the most difficult schools outside of the Ivy League to get into, and they don't lower their standards for athletes). I'm not giving false praise because I happen to disagree with some guy whose entire knowledge of Justin Harper was gained in a couple of hours.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those diamond in the rough selections right here right now? This guy looks like he has all the offensive tools to really show up big in the NBA. A willingness to go inside, great length, attacks the rim, incredible range and efficiency for his height and in general. I'm really excited to see what he could do.

I know as a Magic fan we are searching right now for anything or anyone to come in and show Dwight he won't be a one man show here in Orlando. Heck we are actually giving some hope that Gilbert Arenas of all people will be able to resurrect his career in Orlando and return to all-star form. But I really see something in this Harper kid.

He could go so many ways. He could look to what Dwight did when he came into the league and just bulk up like crazy. Turn into a tougher version of Rashard Lewis or maybe even Chris Bosh at best. Or he could try to back up his claims of modeling his game after Kevin Durant. Really work on his foot speed and dribble drive and make himself into a mismatch from hell at the Small Forward position. At the very least you could have a more athletic Hedo without the passing but better shooting. At the best well... In our wildest dreams he does back up his talk of playing like Durant.

Although I wanted to see more out of Otis tonight (which he still has till the first to do so), I really, really, really like this move. There is honest to goodness potential here. The pressure will not be on him, so he won't face the same problems that other rookies do. Defenses will be focused on Gilbert and Dwight and possibly J-Rich if he returns (doubt it though).

Who knows this may be just a nice little role player for us. But I'm gonna take the positive road here. Strap yourselves in boys... For all his blunders (and boy have they been some big ones) I think Otis may have just found us a stud.

One thing I do like about the trade is that it shows Otis has no intention of losing/trading Dwight and having a bad team miss out on some high 2nd round picks. . .

either that or he didn't give a crap since he knows if the team sucks to the point where those 2nd round picks are high it probably means he and Dwight are gone anyways :happypuppy:

:svgsad:

One thing I do like about the trade is that it shows Otis has no intention of losing/trading Dwight and having a bad team miss out on some high 2nd round picks. . .

either that or he didn't give a crap since he knows if the team sucks to the point where those 2nd round picks are high it probably means he and Dwight are gone anyways :happypuppy:

:svgsad:

lol ur so cute. Make a liggins thread now for tomorrows discussions I need sleep

I'm sorry, but I think I've seen Harper more and am better equipped to comment on his D than some "draft analyst" who probably watched a few highlights. I never said he was a great shot-blocker, only that he is a lot better than Bass or Anderson. And yes, as a starter his sophomore and junior seasons, he was known to be out of position occasionally on D. But as I said, Mooney runs a complicated defense. I went to almost every home game this season at U of R, and this guy has learned to play smart D. Every player who plays for Chris Mooney struggles to pick up his system at first, but the ones who have figured it out have turned into great defenders. Harper is very smart (for those of you who don't know, U of R is one of the most difficult schools outside of the Ivy League to get into, and they don't lower their standards for athletes). I'm not giving false praise because I happen to disagree with some guy whose entire knowledge of Justin Harper was gained in a couple of hours.

you went to richmond games so you have a better knowledge of what it takes to get into the nba... ok...