Sign in to follow this  
Chase

The Casey Anthony Trial

Troy Davis had exhausted almost every state and federal avenue for appealing his case. Last year judge Moore is quoted saying “While Mr. Davis’s new evidence casts some additional, minimal doubt on his conviction, it is largely smoke and mirrors." The justice system has its flaws but I find it hard to believe that if he truly was innocent (and his legal team proved his innocence in a court of law) that EVERY court still came to the same conclusion.

All these people and high-profile figures who are protesting mean nothing. They are just outside observers, and probably never read the judge's opinion anyway.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0824/Death-row-inmate-Troy-Davis-Judge-upholds-conviction

I'd say it's a mischaracterization to say Casey Anthony got off on a technicality when she was found not guilty for the same reason you're having difficulty with the Troy Davis case. She just had the benefit of being white and having a high profile case, which highlights a glaring problem with the death penalty.

Your last sentence is intriguing though. Why go for a life sentence if you're not sure you have the right person? Isn't the purpose of a trial to make sure that we're punishing the right person? I don't understand how you can recognize the dangers of condemning someone to die for something we aren't sure they actually did but in the same breath advocate locking them up for life. The thing to do in that situation is not convict them, as in the Casey Anthony case.

Yeah, I can see that (in regards to your response on the death penalty). What you're saying is how it's supposed to work, if they're found guilty we should know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Sadly, you and I know that's not the case. Let me put it this way, in order for someone to be put to death you should pretty much have to have them on video, know what I mean?

Yeah, I can see that (in regards to your response on the death penalty). What you're saying is how it's supposed to work, if they're found guilty we should know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Sadly, you and I know that's not the case.

Why do we just accept that? I mean, admittedly I'm saying that as a guy who hasn't done **** to help change anything, but still.

Let me put it this way, in order for someone to be put to death you should pretty much have to have them on video, know what I mean?

Good to know we're now in agreement about the Casey Anthony thing.

For me Casey Anthony would have been conviction but no death penalty.

Convicted of what? Was she maliciously responsible, was she directly responsible for the death, was she indirectly responsible, was it neglect, was it all just an accident and she foolishly tried to cover it up? What actually happened? Don't you kind of need to know that in order to convict?

The whole Troy Davis thing. Talk about not having evidence. No murder weapon, no DNA, false reports from "witnesses". If you let Casey Anthony, who everyone knew was guilty but got lucky thanks to a technicality walk, you gotta push this guy's execution back. I'm not saying release him, that wouldn't have happened anyways. I'm also not saying he didn't do it, but I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Put it this way, we've let people walk with a ton more evidence against them than he does (Casey Anthony).

As for the death penalty in general, I'm for it, but I look at it like a challenge in football. There has to be without a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. If there is any doubt, life sentence.

Dude... there were 34 eyewitness accounts. Even the SCOTUS ruled he was guilty and the trial was legit. The world is less one murderer and a better place for it.

Dude... there were 34 eyewitness accounts. Even the SCOTUS ruled he was guilty and the trial was legit. The world is less one murderer and a better place for it.

i don't know if the world is a better place...