Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

DC Universe Reboot starting this month

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea for DC to reboot there whole story?

• Yes
    • No

http://comics.ign.com/articles/117/1171671p1.html

At last, DC Comics has shown their hand after weeks of speculation. The rumors of a massive DC Universe reboot have been confirmed. In September, comic fans will be the recipients of 52 #1 issues as the entire line of DC Universe titles gets a relaunch. Everyone from Superman to Booster Gold will be getting a revamp, which includes redesigns and a "younger" continuity.

DC Comics co-publisher Dan Didio told USA Today, "We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line. This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Among the 52 new #1s will be Justice League written by DC superstar Geoff Johns and drawn by DC co-publisher Jim Lee. This new Justice League will mark Johns and Lee's first ever collaboration, and will reunite the iconic lineup of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman. Justice League #1 will launch on August 31, alongside the final issue of Flashpoint. The relaunch of the DCU means that Lee will be handling about 50 redesigns of iconic costumes, similar to what he did with Wonder Woman just over a year ago.

So for those who dont feel like reading or just want the dumbed down abridged version, essentially after the Flashpoint story arc ends, all of DCU is getting a reboot. The characters will be made a bit younger, costumes will be a bit more modernized, storylines will be started from scratch.

I don't know about you guys but I think this might be the best Idea to come out of the comic book industry in a very long time. I haven't been able to really read any of the mainstream titles in either DC or Marvel for a while now because the storylines have become so damned entangled I have to spend an hour on the DC Wiki Database to sort it out. Comic Books simply are not appealing to people now and has a lot do with they simply just feel old.

I know the idea of screwing with iconic characters like the big 3 of Superman, Batman, and Wonderwoman is practically blasphemy in the eyes of most comic book fans, but lets face it, if something doesn't change, the only one of those 3 who may survive is Batman, and that would only be in Movie and TV form mainly. And if big characters like Superman and Wonderwoman are in trouble, where does that leave the smaller titles that don't have that mass big name appeal.

Here are some new images that just recently got put out:

New Justice League (not all characters pictured)

first-look-at-jim-lees-new-justice-league-20110531051858271-000.jpg

Lots of things on here. The most obvious is of course Wonderwoman, which is kind of a cross between the classic outfit and the new redesign from last year. Take a look at Superman though, high collar, different S, and biggest of all, bye bye red underpants. Batman has a slight change not immediately visible, but he's gone to a more armored looking version of the batsuit instead of leather and spandex. Green Lantern looks a bit armored too. You can also really see that they are trying to make all these guys a lot younger. Superman and Wonderwoman especially seem to have been hit with it.

Justice League International

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114236265-000.jpg

Interesting? Ha ha.

Green Arrow

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114108720-000.jpg

Taking a huge page out of Smallville's book here. All they need to do is remove the stache and youd think WB might sue.

Hawkman

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114103783-000.jpg

I love the new style for Hawkman, really showing off how insane and violent the dude is.

The Flash

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114304483-000.jpg

Nothing really different here but the chinstrap is back.

Aquaman

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114337419-000.jpg

Glad they kept the orange out of the costume and stuck with the gold scales.

Wondwerwoman

10-of-dcs-new-titles-announced-20110602114305795-000.jpg

Like the new outfit, but I don't think the artistry does justice.

So what do you all think?

This was desperately needed. DC is so behind Marvel it isn't funny. All DC has had is a fun MMO and Christopher Nolan's Batman. The comics themselves have been dreadful.

Wonder Woman

9055661-large.jpg

Thats an insult to Donna Troy and Dianna. Wonderwoman is no where close to as soft as Chris Bosh. Even without powers she could box him out. A more apt comparison could maybe be Stargirl.

stargirl.jpg

Well, the Clark Kent thing has always been silly, with the glasses no one knew who he was, etc. And the underwear over the pants was also iffy. I think Green Lantern still looks stupid, but the new Superman is kinda cool.

Resurrecting this thread just because I went and bought the first issue of the DC reboot: Justice League #1. It is pretty damn good. Funny as hell issue that really features Green Lantern and Batman for about 70% of the comic. If this is the kind of quality Geoff Johns will be putting out then I'm really looking forward to Green Lantern and Aquaman.

Resurrecting this thread just because I went and bought the first issue of the DC reboot: Justice League #1. It is pretty damn good. Funny as hell issue that really features Green Lantern and Batman for about 70% of the comic. If this is the kind of quality Geoff Johns will be putting out then I'm really looking forward to Green Lantern and Aquaman.

I gotta get on that. Will prolly go to the comic book store in FM tomorrow, haven't been there in years.

Meh. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, so I can't really be disappointed. But I wouldn't call it particularly good. I'll withhold judgment until I read more of what they're going to be putting out, but if that Justice League issue is any indication, it's just going to be a new coat of paint on the same crap they always churn out. I am looking forward to Animal Man though. I expect it will be not as good as Grant Morrison's version, and I don't think it will last very long, but I'm hoping to be wrong on both counts.

I've never been much into the standard super hero stuff anyway, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. The only current series that has held my interest from DC or Marvel is S.H.I.E.L.D., which is really cool and not about Nick Fury. Vertigo is DC, so that's not entirely accurate as I do read some Vertigo stuff. Scalped is pretty good.

But Image is where it's at. The Walking Dead, Invincible, Morning Glories, Moriarty, mini-series like Halcyon, Godland twice a year. These are all worth anyone's time. Plus they're getting a new Brian K. Vaughn series next year. I'll take that stuff any day over Marvel/DC.

I am looking forward to Animal Man though. I expect it will be not as good as Grant Morrison's version, and I don't think it will last very long, but I'm hoping to be wrong on both counts.

The first time I read The Coyote Gospel, I couldn't figure out if I was tripping while reading it or he was while writing it.

The first time I read The Coyote Gospel, I couldn't figure out if I was tripping while reading it or he was while writing it.

He's definitely a very strange guy. Some of his stuff gets out there a little bit too much, but when he's good he's really good. Animal Man and the Invisibles are fantastic.