Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The NBA and fining players for social commentary

Benefits. Or at least that's what usually comes up during these discussions.

But that's a stupid argument because a male and female can easily (and actually do, more often than one might guess) get married for insurance or citizenship reasons. That doesn't seem to be a concern with heterosexual marriage though, certainly not enough of a concern to ban heterosexual marriage. I don't see a reason why homosexuals would be more inclined to exploit that.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, that is a truly absurd argument.

I'm a Christian, and I feel gays should do whatever they want.

I wish everyone shared your view on the subject Trey. Unfortunately, that clearly isn't the case. I don't want this thread to come off as an attack against Christianity (although I am an Atheist) because that isn't my intent. I don't believe that all Christians want to infringe on the rights of people with different beliefs but as with many things, the smaller outspoken minority usually make the most noise....and like I said before, the only opposition I've seen to homosexual rights has come from the church.

not to mention, the founding fathers agreed that blacks were worth 5/8ths? a person.

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

It was 3/5ths.

Lord Xenu continues to be mystified by the deference you American Teegeeackians give to your so-called "founding fathers". While they were undoubtedly progressive in many respects for their era, they were also a group of haughty aristocrats who invented the electoral college specifically as a mechanism to keep poor people from being able to vote, and did so while declaring that all men were created equal.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't want to pry into peoples bedrooms, if two guys want to play swords with each other behind close doors thats there own business. But this business of trying to convince everyone that what homosexuals are doing is right, and having any opinion against them is wrong is in itself disenfranchising all religious believers, be it Christian or Muslim.

Fining Kobe Bryant and making him read off a script and say something that he might not actually believe is like a puppet show. What if it goes against everything he believes in? Is that not offensive to him? I do not think homosexuality is right, but I am not going to try and stop it either. Like my good lord says, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Well I have plenty of sin, so why should I be judging anyone else. But I just don't like how the media and society is forcing us into what to believe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't want to pry into peoples bedrooms, if two guys want to play swords with each other behind close doors thats there own business. But this business of trying to convince everyone that what homosexuals are doing is right, and having any opinion against them is wrong is in itself disenfranchising all religious believers, be it Christian or Muslim.

Fining Kobe Bryant and making him read off a script and say something that he might not actually believe is like a puppet show. What if it goes against everything he believes in? Is that not offensive to him? I do not think homosexuality is right, but I am not going to try and stop it either. Like my good lord says, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Well I have plenty of sin, so why should I be judging anyone else. But I just don't like how the media and society is forcing us into what to believe.

I think you are missing a key point. The idea is not to embrace other peoples beliefs in favor of your own, or believing what they are doing is right. The idea is acceptance. The overall realization that there are many belief systems all over the world, and while they might not all be the same, the understanding that someone's personal believes, so long as they do not infringe upon your own rights, are theirs, and theirs alone. You do not need to accept them as right, but you do need to practice tolerance and understanding. I thought those were good Christian qualities, so why is it that so many "Christians" seem to be lacking in this department?

Fining Kobe Bryant and making him read off a script and say something that he might not actually believe is like a puppet show. What if it goes against everything he believes in? Is that not offensive to him?

Then he is free to not play basketball in the NBA.

He is an employee of the NBA, and as such, he is obligated to obey all rules and regulations regarding conduct and language. His failure to do so is why he had to "read off a script". That was a punishment.

Whether HE believes it or not is irrelevant. The NBA believes it, and as an employee, he represents them.

And this is hardly unique to the NBA. Any major corporation would have a similar code of conduct.

As for the other portion of your post, Xenu has a question for you:

if your religion dictated that all Muslims should be slaves and that any mix-raced child should be put to death as an affront to god, would you feel it was disenfranchising you if the US government were to say: "Yeah, we're not doing that"? If so, why? And if not, why not?

Lord Xenu is curious to hear your response.

******END TRANSMISSION******

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"I'm attracted to men." THAT is "spouting" their sexual preference? Give me a break.

How is it not? I don't understand.

Expecting someone to lie about who they are for 20 years in order to serve their country is complete discrimination. "Don't ask, don't tell" is going to be viewed just as discriminatory as the Navy's policy that black men couldn't serve in combat because "they don't see as well in the dark" in a few decades.

I don't see how stating your sexual preference defines "who you are" but regardless I'm not going to argue that its not discrimination. It is, but not for the same reason as the Navy's policy. No one for this policy (that I know of at least) uses the reason that homosexuals are a lesser person or that they themselves have a hatred of them, rather they use the reasoning of people in the ranks not being comfortable with it themselves. I personally, do not care who serves, its the widespread impact on the forces I care about. In life or death situations, Id rather not worry of squads chemistry over petty things such as sexuality.

To answer your question about dormitories, dormitories will not be segregated based off of sexual preference.....nor should they be. I would have to be really naive to believe that the 10+ years I've spent in the Air Force has only been served with straight men. And no, I'm not worried about getting hit on in the shower when gay men are openly allowed to serve. There's still a very strict policy on sexual harrassment in the military.

And I'm glad that you will not worry about it, and in my opinion you should not. But can you really expect everyone in the military to be okay with the situation? Why should we separate men and women at all if not for the sexual preference?

Then he is free to not play basketball in the NBA.

He is an employee of the NBA, and as such, he is obligated to obey all rules and regulations regarding conduct and language. His failure to do so is why he had to "read off a script". That was a punishment.

Whether HE believes it or not is irrelevant. The NBA believes it, and as an employee, he represents them.

And this is hardly unique to the NBA. Any major corporation would have a similar code of conduct.

They could at least be consistent about it. I see players mouthing the "n-word" plenty of times on the court, with zero repercussions, not to mention the amount of curse words Ive heard when players go for rebounds. It seems to be exclusive to F***ot, which in the context had no homosexual meaning whatsoever. While I realize that the NBA is just trying to adhere to the ridiculous demands of advocacy groups, fining a player for saying something walking to the bench is just plain dumb, just like fining a coach for calling out bad calls :svgsad: .

I wish everyone shared your view on the subject Trey. Unfortunately, that clearly isn't the case. I don't want this thread to come off as an attack against Christianity (although I am an Atheist) because that isn't my intent. I don't believe that all Christians want to infringe on the rights of people with different beliefs but as with many things, the smaller outspoken minority usually make the most noise....and like I said before, the only opposition I've seen to homosexual rights has come from the church.

Which makes sense, since I don't attend church much. I don't need Sundays to remind me to be a good Christian, I strive for it everyday. I'm not perfect, nobody is, but I always TRY to do the right thing.

They could at least be consistent about it. I see players mouthing the "n-word" plenty of times on the court, with zero repercussions, not to mention the amount of curse words Ive heard when players go for rebounds. It seems to be exclusive to F***ot, which in the context had no homosexual meaning whatsoever. While I realize that the NBA is just trying to adhere to the ridiculous demands of advocacy groups, fining a player for saying something walking to the bench is just plain dumb, just like fining a coach for calling out bad calls :svgsad: .

don't you remember when that fan was banned from the arena after he said mutombo (i think it was him) looked like a big monkey.

I personally, do not care who serves, its the widespread impact on the forces I care about. In life or death situations, Id rather not worry of squads chemistry over petty things such as sexuality.

And I'm glad that you will not worry about it, and in my opinion you should not. But can you really expect everyone in the military to be okay with the situation? Why should we separate men and women at all if not for the sexual preference?

If someone is going to be so concerned about other people's sexuality that they're thinking about that during combat and allowing it to interfere with their performance, they're probably not fit to serve in the first place. That's an absurd argument.