Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Dwight Ticked Off At The Orlando Sentinal

My latest:

Sorry Dan. I had to make a thread featuring your latest article. I read as soon as you published (thanks FB). And, what you wrote is exactly how I feel.

Sorry Dan. I had to make a thread featuring your latest article. I read as soon as you published (thanks FB). And, what you wrote is exactly how I feel.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

And people keep referencing Shaq like it's the same situation. It isn't.

During the Shaq era, we had been swept out of the playoffs each time. If we lost a series, it wasn't 4-2 or 4-3 or even 4-1: it was 0-4 and we were bounced. The general sense was that while Shaq was an amazing player and a force of nature, he just didn't have that other gear that allowed him to win the big one.

And we had "the next Michael Jordan" in Penny Hardaway. I mean, the guy scored 40 points in back-to-back playoff games! Who DOES that?? And Shaq was AWOL that summer in the playoffs, coming in for the last game and putting in a seemingly half-ass effort.

I remember again and again people in the Orlando media saying "good riddance - we got Penny." Sure, Shaq was probably going to LA anyways, but I remember Orlando did a lot to help shove him out the door.

And then, in his first couple seasons in LA, what happens? Shaq was swept out of the playoffs. We didn't go anywhere that year, but Seikely played well and Penny played great. It wasn't until Kobe and Shaq and Phil put it all together and started blowing through everyone else in the league, and Penny's knees blew up, that the idea seemed REALLY stupid.

With Dwight? Different situation: he's happy here, it's not like JRich is throwing down 40 points in playoff games, or dunking over the best centers in the game. In fact, one of the problems is that Dwight has no team around him. Shaq had Horace Grant, Penny Hardaway, even Nick Anderson and 3D were great role-players.

With Dwight, it's not a case of the city not embracing him, or a horrid situation with a coach or the media: it's the team. There's not a lot of pieces there that will win a championship. If I were Dwight, all these stories of "OH GAWD DWIGHT WHY ARE YOU LEEEEEEEEEAAAAVING???????" will only make him start thinking: "Well, why AREN'T I thinking about it? Do these people know something I don't?"

That and it's just the typical offseason panic of a team that feels like it was burned once by the best center in the league long, long ago, and that history is just about to repeat itself. In reality? We just need a couple pieces around Dwight and he'll be just fine in Orlando.

Dwight has a LOT more in common with Tim Duncan than Shaq when it comes to loyalty, I'd think.

• Upvote 4

And people keep referencing Shaq like it's the same situation. It isn't.

During the Shaq era, we had been swept out of the playoffs each time. If we lost a series, it wasn't 4-2 or 4-3 or even 4-1: it was 0-4 and we were bounced. The general sense was that while Shaq was an amazing player and a force of nature, he just didn't have that other gear that allowed him to win the big one.

And we had "the next Michael Jordan" in Penny Hardaway. I mean, the guy scored 40 points in back-to-back playoff games! Who DOES that?? And Shaq was AWOL that summer in the playoffs, coming in for the last game and putting in a seemingly half-ass effort.

I remember again and again people in the Orlando media saying "good riddance - we got Penny." Sure, Shaq was probably going to LA anyways, but I remember Orlando did a lot to help shove him out the door.

And then, in his first couple seasons in LA, what happens? Shaq was swept out of the playoffs. We didn't go anywhere that year, but Seikely played well and Penny played great. It wasn't until Kobe and Shaq and Phil put it all together and started blowing through everyone else in the league, and Penny's knees blew up, that the idea seemed REALLY stupid.

With Dwight? Different situation: he's happy here, it's not like JRich is throwing down 40 points in playoff games, or dunking over the best centers in the game. In fact, one of the problems is that Dwight has no team around him. Shaq had Horace Grant, Penny Hardaway, even Nick Anderson and 3D were great role-players.

With Dwight, it's not a case of the city not embracing him, or a horrid situation with a coach or the media: it's the team. There's not a lot of pieces there that will win a championship. If I were Dwight, all these stories of "OH GAWD DWIGHT WHY ARE YOU LEEEEEEEEEAAAAVING???????" will only make him start thinking: "Well, why AREN'T I thinking about it? Do these people know something I don't?"

That and it's just the typical offseason panic of a team that feels like it was burned once by the best center in the league long, long ago, and that history is just about to repeat itself. In reality? We just need a couple pieces around Dwight and he'll be just fine in Orlando.

Dwight has a LOT more in common with Tim Duncan than Shaq when it comes to loyalty, I'd think.

sometimes i think we overrate penny. he was an amazing player but his premier season was 21.7-7.1 asst-4.3 rebs- 2 steals. Those are great numbers, dont get me wrong, but those are Brandon Roy-ish numbers or a better Mitch Richmond numbers. Those aren't Clyde Drexler numbers or Magic Johnson numbers.

sometimes i think we overrate penny. he was an amazing player but his premier season was 21.7-7.1 asst-4.3 rebs- 2 steals. Those are great numbers, dont get me wrong, but those are Brandon Roy-ish numbers or a better Mitch Richmond numbers. Those aren't Clyde Drexler numbers or Magic Johnson numbers.

Penny Played in the Jordan Era.... The players of today couldn't get those points if it wasn't for the jordan rule.... How I miss the 80's and early an mid 90's real Men Basketball Game. Now getting breathed on and your on the line getting 10-12 or even 20pts at times from the freethrow line.... NBA Turned into a ***** League for Perimeter Players and the Bigs have to suffer because they don't get the same benefits.... Hence why all the real Centers have died and turned into jump shooters except for one BIG BAD Dwight Howard....

Anyway we should make the OS realize that they need to let them know they *****ing up big time and losing business while at it... File your complaints guys only way we can make them stop....

Oh, we TOTALLY overrated Penny. He was a good scorer and passer, but mentally, he couldn't handle that spotlight. Of course, we had that story a couple years ago that part of his "mental crumble" was probably due to Brian Hill, but yes: Penny was a good player in his prime, but he wasn't a great player - he had a few really great, really brilliant games. And maybe a couple seasons.

Then it was all done and over.

Dwight needs to get out of FL this summer and go bury his head in the sand somewhere. Just get out of the U.S. all together and escape all this.

I feel if he wakes up to this sh** everyday he'll have a melting point and just say f*** it and decide to leave.

Some of you may take this info as helpful, some may take it as B.S., some may take it as a reason to step away from the ledge... For months I have come to this site to check up on updates and news and rumors although some has been straight up crazy nonsense, some of it has been helpful so I feel I should share info I have.

I am not no one special nor do I have links to the team but I do have one source who I can say is with Dwight on a day to day basis who has told me HE IS NOT LEAVING. He is doing what any body in his position would do who wants to win. Stand your ground, force managment to stay on there toes and keep doing what they gotta do to make the team better. I repeated to my source "yea but you never know what can happen this summer", he then told me again, he is not leaving!

As I said, I am sure no one will take this as serious info and if I were you I would do the same, but to any of you out there who just need a sense of optimism or confidence that the beast will stay in the O, I hope this info helps because it made my day hearing that from his mouth.

To touch on what 30Assists said...

The 08-09 Finals team was as much as a fluke as it was talented.

They were playing extremely tough team ball, and played with every piece of their hearts. Sure, you could say Shard was a 2nd fiddle, but was he really? That team was a bunch of role players as well, that got super hot, and didn't back down.

Dwight hasn't been able to play with a legit second option yet. Otis thought Shard was that guy. Nelson, even in his all star year, wasn't really THAT guy.

You can't really say "Well, it's SVG and his system." SVG had Wade in Miami, and had he not gotten hurt, or hell, even SVG "stepped down", who knows what could have happened there.

This is all on Otis.