Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic won't fire Otis, SVG regardless of Hawks series

"We're happy with Otis and Stan," Vander Weide said. "Neither are in jeopardy.

"I've been around now 20 years in the NBA and I've got a good idea of other people's skill-sets are out there, and Stan and Otis are as good a complement as any in the league."

The Magic's struggles against the Hawks, plus their slide to 52 wins this season after two questionable mid-season trades, drew speculation about job security for Van Gundy and Smith --- Smith in particular.

"You can second-guess, but the changes we made were made to win a championship," Vander Weide said. "We didn't feel we were going to win with the guys we had."

For what it's worth, Bob....neither did I.

To read the rest go here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-schmitz-stan-van-gundy-otis-smith-20110427,0,4940636.column

• Upvote 3

Cool deal...This doesn't change much. Keeping Dwight is really all that is necessary. Hopefully Fran coming over (if he does) will provide some defense. Do we think he would start at the 4 over Bass and Ryan? Ryan is a completely different player. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Bass if Fran comes over depending on who it got us in return. Does anyone think we could possibly get Tayshaun Prince for the full MLE?

PG- Nelson/Arenas or Arenas/Nelson

SG- JRich(resigned)/JJ

SF- Prince/Turk/Q

PF- Fran/Ryan/Bass

C- Dwight/Fran/Orton

I feel like that would make us a pretty solid defensive team again. Turk would be better coming off the bench. Either way Fran, Prince, and a healthy Arenas could completely change the makeup of this team in my opinion.

Cool deal...This doesn't change much. Keeping Dwight is really all that is necessary. Hopefully Fran coming over (if he does) will provide some defense. Do we think he would start at the 4 over Bass and Ryan? Ryan is a completely different player. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Bass if Fran comes over depending on who it got us in return. Does anyone think we could possibly get Tayshaun Prince for the full MLE?

SG- JRich(resigned)/JJ

SF- Prince/Turk/Q

PF- Fran/Ryan/Bass

C- Dwight/Fran/Orton

I feel like that would make us a pretty solid defensive team again. Turk would be better coming off the bench. Either way Fran, Prince, and a healthy Arenas could completely change the makeup of this team in my opinion.

I like it, and agree that it would give us a bit of a difference from this season, but the question is whether we could get Prince for the full MLE like you said. Would give us options

I like it, and agree that it would give us a bit of a difference from this season, but the question is whether we could get Prince for the full MLE like you said. Would give us options

If we couldn't get him for the MLE (and we for sure got Fran) we could possibly package Bass/Jameer for Tayshaun. Then we'd be thin at PG but then we'd have the Full MLE still available to go after possibly Shannon Brown or Barbosa (not worth full MLE--only part IMO) then try and sign another veteran big perhaps Wilcox..... There are options out there for us. I have been hard on Otis and SVG but we aren't in such a terrible position as it seems....Now whether they make the moves or not we'll see I suppose.

SG- JRich(resigned)/JJ

SF- Prince/Turk/Q

PF- Fran/Ryan/Bass

C- Dwight/Fran/Orton

Thats a soild team but I would offer a 31-32yr old Prince the BAE and try to sign and trade J.Rich for whatever i can get and us the MLE on a young SG.

Thats a soild team but I would offer a 31-32yr old Prince the BAE and try to sign and trade J.Rich for whatever i can get and us the MLE on a young SG.

That would be really awesome if that happened but Prince still avg like 14 pts a game... No way we get him for the BAE....We'd be lucky to get him for the MLE I think. I'm not sure there is a young SG out there better than JRich and JJ that could be had for MLE except for JR Smith and I don't think he's better.