Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Howard confronts Ric Bucher before the game

ATLANTA – An hour prior to Friday’s Game 3, Orlando’s Dwight Howard playfully confronted an ESPN reporter about the validity of his claims that the superstar center would be traded from the Magic this summer.

Howard wondered aloud to ESPN’s Ric Bucher about his reports in weekly chats that he would be traded by a Magic franchise fearful of losing him in free agency after the 2011-12 season with no compensation in return. Howard can become an unrestricted free agent after next season.

``If I’m getting traded, tell me where I’m going?’’ Howard said. ``Let me call my agent and tell him where I’m going.’’

Bucher said on Friday in an ESPN chat that ``I'm not reporting that Dwight will be traded this summer. I believe he will be based on what I’m hearing. … Anyone saying he categorically doesn’t want to leave Orlando, I have one question for you: Why hasn’t he signed his extension? It makes absolutely no fiscal sense not to with the looming lockout. I don’t care what he says; I care what he does. And what he’s doing is leaving his options open.’’

As he was balking at Bucher’s suggestions that he was following Shaquille O’Neal’s path from Orlando to Los Angeles and questioning the suggestions that he would be open to playing in a big media market such as L.A., New York or Chicago, Howard then shed some light on his thinking about his pending free agency.

``The biggest market of all is outside of the United States,’’ Howard said. ``In today’s NBA you can get anything you want (in terms of endorsements) and you don’t have to play in a big market.’’

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_notes_042211.html

• Upvote 2

I'm literally sick to my stomach right now after reading that. I'm usually not a negative-nancy, but enjoy this last playoff run guys. The Magic are going to be going thru some major changes and will likely drop considerably in their play over the next couple years. Time to find out who all the real Orlando Magic fans are over the next couple years....

I'm literally sick to my stomach right now after reading that. I'm usually not a negative-nancy, but enjoy this last playoff run guys. The Magic are going to be going thru some major changes and will likely drop considerably in their play over the next couple years. Time to find out who all the real Orlando Magic fans are over the next couple years....

I took it as an endorsement that he's staying....maybe I'm not understanding his comments....but he says you can get all the endorsements you want "without being in a major market".

Just the whole not resigning already deal and the fact that he doesn't just come out and say he's staying in Orlando. Dwight is obviously keeping his options open, and the more I think about it, the more I'm slowly accepting the painful reality of this obvious situation.

As much as I'm sure Dwight would love to stay in Orlando, and play here for the rest of his career, it'd honestly be a poor career move if a championship is important for the immediate future (which it is for Dwight). No way can we win with guys like Jameer, Gil, Hedo, JJ, etc surrounding him. Hedo and Gilbert's contracts alone are crippling this team from doing anything, as we're basically stuck with who we have. I can't believe I'm even entertaining the thought, but it'd honestly be best for all parties involved if we did trade Dwight (along with Gil/Hedo if even possible) and just blow this entire thing up. We can't expect to get everything the Nuggets got from the NYK, but we can dump a whole lot and get some young, cornerstone back, along with some nice role players and 1st round picks. I hate that it has come to this, but it's literally the only option. As a fan, I will support my Magic no matter what, and try to enjoy these playoffs for however long they last. I still have faith we can get by ATL, and who knows what after that. Gotta stay positive....

I do think Dwight wants to stay, but the problem is that he needs other guys on the floor with him.

Let's imagine Dwight on any of the other 15 playoff teams right now. Which of those teams become automatic title contenders with him on the floor?

By my count, it's 14 (the Pacers being the only ones I think wouldn't).

Unfortunately, the team we have is not well put together. It is very much capable of a title run, but will always be the underedog in a series.

Here's hoping we pull out a win in game 5 and take back HC.

This is the playoffs right? I understand that Dwight is the most important person to the Magic. He is the engine that makes the team go. But if we do not win in the playoffs, the team will be going fishing. The hawks are killing us with their size. Their 2,3,and 4s are posting our guys up often and getting everybody else on their team very good shots. I say we move Hedo to cover Joe Johnson and move Brandon bass to cover Josh smith and Dwight howard over Horford, and Ryan Anderson over Collins since the hawks would never go to Collins. This gives us size and there is no way that Joe, Josh or Horford would be able to post up Hedo, Bass and Howard. We would have more punch off the bench. Richardson may give us more fire power off the bench not having to go against Joe as much. We could bring Richardson off the bench about the 4 minute mark and move Hedo to 3 spot. Give Brandon bass time to rest. Then Brandon comes in and give Ryan anderson time to rest. Dwight howard doesn't need any rest. I think this lineup gives us the best chance as it will shut out any post up advantages the Hawks has.

Also during that exchange, Howard said he's not thinking about going anywhere.

Said he's not thinking of following "Shaq blueprint."

And comically added that you could get better information from his new agent, Agent Zero.

I do not think we are going to win this series this year. It is heartbreaking, but true. I really believed the Magic would come out with energy and determination, like game 2 but they did not. I just do not see how we will win on their court. Even Dwight did not play well last night. Hopefully, some lessons could be learned. Please Magic stop all this talk. First Otis Smith made remarks about James; then SVG made remarks about Bosh. SVG makes careless remarks about Stern. Mattie and David constantly critize other teams when the Magic are not playing well. Nelson tells Rose see you in the next round. Magic more or less proved Jon Berry, Kenny Smith right. I do not even think Barkley likes us anymore. He used to always talk about the Magic, and I not heard him even mention the Magic.

I think Devos gave Smith too much freedom to make these most awful trades. IMO Smith is the worst GM in the league. Every time we get decent players: Courtney Lee, Alston, Matt Barnes he lets them go. Instead he signs people like Duhon and trades for losers like Areans. No other GM would have picked areans.

Magic need a complete turnaround. We need top notch defenders, and get away from this 3 point s hooting crap. Unless a miracle happens, and we get top notch players around, Dwight, he is gone.

I do think Dwight wants to stay, but the problem is that he needs other guys on the floor with him.

I agree with this, but Otis keeps bringing in these "chemistry killers" type of players (ie: Arenas, VC). I still can't get over the fact that he actually traded for Arenas with all that money left on his contract. I'm sure Devos' can't be too happy, when the guy that they're paiding the most money to can barely get off the bench.

I think Otis will be in for a long talk with them this summer.

I do not think we are going to win this series this year. It is heartbreaking, but true. I really believed the Magic would come out with energy and determination, like game 2 but they did not. I just do not see how we will win on their court. Even Dwight did not play well last night. Hopefully, some lessons could be learned. Please Magic stop all this talk. First Otis Smith made remarks about James; then SVG made remarks about Bosh. SVG makes careless remarks about Stern. Mattie and David constantly critize other teams when the Magic are not playing well. Nelson tells Rose see you in the next round. Magic more or less proved Jon Berry, Kenny Smith right. I do not even think Barkley likes us anymore. He used to always talk about the Magic, and I not heard him even mention the Magic.

I think Devos gave Smith too much freedom to make these most awful trades. IMO Smith is the worst GM in the league. Every time we get decent players: Courtney Lee, Alston, Matt Barnes he lets them go. Instead he signs people like Duhon and trades for losers like Areans. No other GM would have picked areans.

Magic need a complete turnaround. We need top notch defenders, and get away from this 3 point s hooting crap. Unless a miracle happens, and we get top notch players around, Dwight, he is gone.

I don't think he's the worst GM, but I don't think he deserved all the credit he was getting over the years either. I believe Stan is the guy that deserve most of the credit, especially for getting to the Finals with an overachieving team.

I'm tired of hearing and talking about this, but I'll just spit out by 2 cents here. I do not think Dwight wants to leave (don't think LeBron did either), but like LeBron if he gets a better chance somewhere else, he'll do it. He has to do what is best for himself, and you can't fault him for it.

As far as the Magic go, we obviously need another roster facelift. Problem is, Otis' last roster shake up left us in a position where it's hard to make changes.