Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

I got a little J.J. Redick health update (link).....

The Orlando Magic’s J.J. Redick is inching closer to making a return.

However, he won’t complete his comeback from a lower abdominal strain that’s sidelined him for the past 16 games on Wednesday night in Orlando’s regular season finale.

Although Redick went through the team’s entire morning shootaround, the Magic have decided to remain patient and instead save his potential return for the postseason.

Still, he will put in additional work tonight.

"He'll probably play some one-on-one with somebody before the game with the hope that he'll practice before the playoffs," Magic Head Coach Stan Van Gundy said. "He's getting pretty close."

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/savage_redick_close_but_not_ready_041311.html

Was really hoping he would get some time in before the playoffs. Nonetheless its good to hear hes close to coming back. Hopefully it doesnt take him too long to shake off the rust.

Reserve guard J.J. Redick sat out his 17th straight game, but was able to do some light work during their morning shootaround. He estimated he'd be able to complete a live practice by the end of the week and expected to be available for the playoffs.

Redick said he isn't concerned about the short time he has to get his stamina back before the start of the playoffs. "It's only been a month, so it's not like it's been six months and it's not like I've been coming back from a longer injury," he said. "It might be a game, it might be three games, I don't know. But I don't think it'll take too long to get back into playing rhythm."

My link

Let the Post-Season begin!

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Magic guard J.J. Redick is a game-time decision for Game 1 of Orlando's first-round playoff matchup with the Atlanta Hawks Saturday night, but says he feels healthy enough to play.

Redick had no limitations in the Magic's final full practice Friday, going through all portions of the team's two-hour workout.

He missed Orlando's final 17 regular-season games with a lower abdominal strain and hasn't played since early March.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy says he will "wait and see" how Redick feels Saturday morning. Orlando's overall bench production has suffered with Redick out, and Van Gundy says it could use a boost.

Redick is averaging a career-best 10.1 points in his fifth NBA season.

Funny that he's become so integral to what we do. I remember even at the beginning of this season when JJ was the victim of several board-beatdowns.

Also funny that he's one of our better on-the-ball defenders. Come on, JJ: we need you back!

"I'm excited for tonight," Redick said after the Magic completed their shootaround at Amway Center.

"It'll be a little weird, to be honest with you. I feel like I haven't played a game in forever. So, hopefully, the next seven hours go well for my body and I'm 100 percent ready to go for tonight.

"It's going to be great to play. Obviously, playing in the playoffs is a different beast. It'll be even more exciting because it's a playoff game."

Both Van Gundy and Redick said they wanted to see how Redick responded to participating in a full practice Friday.

Redick reported no problems.

"He said he felt good, so he'll play tonight," Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said.

"We'll play him like we normally would. When we go to the bench, when J-Rich is out, he'll go in. As far as how much he plays, how many minutes, he's going to have to figure that out and so am I and just see where his conditioning is and everything else."

GO MAGIC !!!

BEAT THE HAWKS !!!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-jj-redick-injury-magic-0417-20110416,0,5569186.story