• Lebron James
    • Kobe Bryant
    • Dirk Nowitzki
    • Kevin Durant
    • Dwayne Wade
    • Manu Ginobili
    • Rajon Rondo
    • Someone Else

So, with the season winding down and only a month to go, I thought it was time we had a thread simply for all MVP discussions.

I know we all might be a bit drawn to a particular center, but lets try and keep it unbiased.

So who is your MVP and why?

I'm inclined to agree with you. I sort of agreed with the people on this board before when they talked about how he wasn't really the MVP, and the Bulls success is down to the coach, but since watching the heat bulls game, I'm starting to warm to the guy. He is definitely their go-to guy, and invariably he delivers. Sure it was a team defensive effort that may have won it, but everything they do offensively is all down to him. If he wins, I'd say he's a deserved winner.

Biased as it may be, I voted Dwight. I'm a very big believer in MVP meaning where would we be without the guy, and the thought of us without Dwight makes me lose sleep at night. Using this mentality with Chicago, CJ Watson could fill in for Rose and they would slow quite a bit, but they'd still have Boozer, Noah, and Deng as well as their nasty defensive mentality. I believe that Rose will win it, but Dwight should at least get a lot of mention. Thibodeau should undoubtedly be coach of the year by the way

Biased as it may be, I voted Dwight. I'm a very big believer in MVP meaning where would we be without the guy, and the thought of us without Dwight makes me lose sleep at night. Using this mentality with Chicago, CJ Watson could fill in for Rose and they would slow quite a bit, but they'd still have Boozer, Noah, and Deng as well as their nasty defensive mentality. I believe that Rose will win it, but Dwight should at least get a lot of mention. Thibodeau should undoubtedly be coach of the year by the way

I see your point, and you're right about the situation we would be in without Dwight. We could well be one of the worst teams in the league without him.

However, I think that in order to be a MVP, you also have to be reliable when it comes to winning the tight games. We all know Dwight can dominate games generally and put up big numbers, but he isn't someone we should or could go to on a crucial possession simply because theres a small chance we'll get something out of it. This is a big factor for a lot of the other guys on the list, who are tried and tested clutch performers.

I know it's an odd way to look at it, but I think that is a key part about being an MVP.

So essentially anyone but Rose? Are you really that against him?

Somebody's gotta be. Hell, Rose showed us us Magic fans in the two Chicago Bulls wins against Orlando that he's hardly the reason why they're winning games and how.

Dwight is so deserving of the MVP award that its incredible that I completely expect him not to win it. Why? What team do you cheer for?

Somebody's gotta be. Hell, Rose showed us us Magic fans in the two Chicago Bulls wins against Orlando that he's hardly the reason why they're winning games and how.

To be fair, you could argue that Dwight isn't deserved of it because in one of those games against the bulls he was beaten on the boards by a rookie by the name of Asik, outscored by Rose, had 7 turnovers and only scored a third of his free throws. Hardly MVP deserving numbers.

Judging on one or two games doesn't give a valid assessment of a season.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, you could argue that Dwight isn't deserved of it because in one of those games against the bulls he was beaten on the boards by a rookie by the name of Asik, outscored by Rose, had 7 turnovers and only scored a third of his free throws. Hardly MVP deserving numbers.

Judging on one or two games doesn't give a valid assessment of a season.

Dwight scored 20 pts in 8 shots

Rose scored 24 pts in 20 shots

Rose outscored Dwight purely because he took more than twice the amount of shots.

The point I was trying to make was that Rose was never a huge factor in those Chicago wins, as he isn't in most of the Bulls' wins. He shoots a bunch of shots and isn't very efficient doing it, but because of the volume, he scores a lot. He's not a good defender and hardly an elite play maker. Why is this guy an MVP again? Oh right, because his team wins a lot. . .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dwight scored 20 pts in 8 shots

Rose scored 24 pts in 20 shots

Rose outscored Dwight purely because he took more than twice the amount of shots.

The point I was trying to make was that Rose was never a huge factor in those Chicago wins, as he isn't in most of the Bulls' wins. He shoots a bunch of shots and isn't very efficient doing it, but because of the volume, he scores a lot. He's not a good defender and hardly an elite play maker. Why is this guy an MVP again? Oh right, because his team wins a lot. . .

Sure, Dwight was definitely much more efficient at scoring than Rose. He does however do a lot of things that are considered very bad for the team, such as turning it over a lot, missing free throws (which should be easy), and in that particular game, getting out-rebounded by a poor player.

I would also point out that in a lot of our losses, Dwight still has big games, but we still lose. Therefore, it could be argued that he can't make us win games with his great numbers. These all negatively affect his MVP candidacy.

The one major positive Rose obviously has is that when his team needs it, he can invariably get points scored. Dwight won't ever really be able to do this.