Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The Official Soccer Thread

They can be very inexpensive (relatively) to build (Portland's stadium was only 31 million) and are great for what they do.

That was a renovation of a baseball stadium, so 31 isn't a fair price.

We aren't getting a SSS anytime soon. We still haven't renovated the Citrus Bowl. Only way it would happen is without public financing.

That was a renovation of a baseball stadium, so 31 isn't a fair price.

We aren't getting a SSS anytime soon. We still haven't renovated the Citrus Bowl. Only way it would happen is without public financing.

Well to be honest Orlando could pull the same situation with Tinker Field. The Portland Stadium was a minor league ball park just like Tinker is and could undergo the same quick renovations needed to make up a SSS.

I know the chances that Orange County Govt actually approves of this idea are slim, but the big reason why the Citrus Bowl isn't getting it's renovations are the funds aren't there to cover the 175 million dollar price tag. Why not divert those funds into making a SSS and doing the upgrades to BHNS? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper (most likely one third the cost of the renovations), you would gain a better venue to host all the things that Citrus Bowl provides, while also clearing a major hurdle to landing an MLS squad.

Besides I'm pessimistic about the Citrus Bowl anyway. The Venue is garbage, and a renovation is really not worth it for the City when we have something better down at UCF.

Well to be honest Orlando could pull the same situation with Tinker Field. The Portland Stadium was a minor league ball park just like Tinker is and could undergo the same quick renovations needed to make up a SSS.

I know the chances that Orange County Govt actually approves of this idea are slim, but the big reason why the Citrus Bowl isn't getting it's renovations are the funds aren't there to cover the 175 million dollar price tag. Why not divert those funds into making a SSS and doing the upgrades to BHNS? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper (most likely one third the cost of the renovations), you would gain a better venue to host all the things that Citrus Bowl provides, while also clearing a major hurdle to landing an MLS squad.

Besides I'm pessimistic about the Citrus Bowl anyway. The Venue is garbage, and a renovation is really not worth it for the City when we have something better down at UCF.

The Portland Stadium was still in use by the Timbers USL squad and a minor league team until they started renovations. Tinker has been collecting rats for years now. No way they could make the same turnaround for a similar price.

Diverting funds for BHNS that would have gone to the Citrus Bowl wouldn't be possible. First, BHNS was funded and is operated by UCF without any assistance from the city/county. Second, the area might not even be city, but only county which would cloud up where the money could come from. It might even have to have statewide approval, or at least that of the state higher ed board.

Funny thing about the Citrus Bowl is it actually makes the most financial sense out of the three venues (Amway, performing arts, CB). The events held there bring in a large out of town group that stays in our hotels (which is where a majority of the funding is coming from), eat and drink and do touristy things.

I'd love a good SSS more than anyone in town, but given where we are and the amount of political capital spent just for the city/county to be where they are now with the venues the money is pretty much going to have to be completely private.

Hope Solo isn't really that hot. At first glance she looks like a babe, but when you start actually looking at her pictures you realize she falls under somewhat hot or attractive if you will.

And that game was crazy. I can't believe they won after getting hosed so badly.

Hope Solo isn't really that hot. At first glance she looks like a babe, but when you start actually looking at her pictures you realize she falls under somewhat hot or attractive if you will.

I disagree.

Bite your tongue. Hard. Hope Solo is a goddess.