Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Heat's pointless line-up is a scary thing for Magic

Ok the Jameer being the reason for defensive struggles is getting silly. I don't think anyone considers him a great defensive point guard, but a poor one is just silly. Yes, he gets lit up by guys like Derren Williams and Russel Westbrook. So does every other player in the league. That's why these guys average 20+ a game; because night in and night out no one can stop them. The reasons for that have already been mentioned: THIS IS A GUARD'S LEAGUE! If you so much as breath on a player under 6'10", it is a foul (as long as we're talking about a defensive player breathing on an offensive guy; any star under said height can get away with an offensive foul all day). So why is Jameer so disrespected? It's a numbers thing. The guy averages 1 Steal per game for his career; if he averaged 1.5, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So this guy is essentially being labeled a bad defender by some people because he doesn't get one more steal every other game. Hell, even Derrick Fisher is considered a solid defender, and his career average is 1.1 SPG. Maybe 0.1 steals plus 1 inch of height is the difference between a bad defender Orlando could never win with and one with four championships (as a starter!).

Here is a list of players between 5'11" and 6'1" who are generally considered good (and in some cases great) defenders in this league:

Rajon Rondo

Chris Paul

Darren Collison

Brandon Jennings

Raymond Felton

Derrick Fisher

Aaron Brooks

Kyle Lowry

John Stockton (for good measure)

And I'm sure there are more, that's just off the top of my head.

If Miami wants to force Nelson to guard Wade, then Wade will have to shoot over him more than usual and get to the basket less; because as fast as Wade is, he's still generally guarded by 2's, and Nelson may not be super fast for a PG but he's a lot faster than almost any 2. If they want him to guard Miller, the guy shoots from the hip, and doesn't pull up well out of pick and rolls. So as long as Nelson stays on him when he's camped outside (not a difficult task as he's not overly fast, even for a 2) and keeps a hand up Miller won't put an abnormal amount of points. Where's the problem?

So in review, Wade would shoot more jump shots (+ for Orlando) and miller would be less likely to get free shots outside (+ for Orlando). Honestly, I really hope the Heat try this.

Defense has become something that people talk about purely on reputation. People here talk about Nelson defensively like his name was Calderon.

In terms of one on one defense, I think he's okay, maybe below average, but this is a team game and I find Nelson to be rather above average in terms of how he's able to funnel opposing guards and defend the pick and roll/help.

There is no such a thing as stopping dribbling penetration (from perimeter defense). That ended a long time ago. Not Westbrook, not prime Gary Payton would be able to contain guards, not with today's rules.

actually, I'm just gonna stop here. . . the people that love to call Jameer too short and awful at defense are the same people that will completely ignore when others try to argue their points and will just move on to the next thread where they pretend nothing happened

I love Nelson's heart but you guys are forgetting something.

Arenas said that Magic fans really have no idea how terribly short Jameer really is.

Ha-Ha-Ha....

Go Magic !!! Beat The Heat !!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

The funny thing about this is that LBJ is taylor made to run point in a triangle style offense, but he does not want to be considered a "facilitator". Can you believe what the NBA has become with this clown getting away with this stuff? The sad thing is that NBA TV ratings got better after "the lecision". that realy is depressing..of course people love Jersey Shore and shows about real housewives, so I don't know what is going on anymore.

Expect crickets and those things that blow by in westerns when the town is quiet and a showdown is about to go down. I can't for the life of me think of what they're called.

Tumbleweed, brodawg.

The funny thing about this is that LBJ is taylor made to run point in a triangle style offense, but he does not want to be considered a "facilitator". Can you believe what the NBA has become with this clown getting away with this stuff? The sad thing is that NBA TV ratings got better after "the lecision". that realy is depressing..of course people love Jersey Shore and shows about real housewives, so I don't know what is going on anymore.

That is Stern's NBA, it's not sports, it's reality TV. A soap opera disguised as basketball. That moron being marketed to the hilt and a guy like Durant playing 2nd or 3rd or whatever fiddle to him is sickening.

Oh and to answer the Capt. question, when did he ever stop being a troll? I wouldn't hold my breath for a response, I doubt Denton or Kyler, or Broussard are going to write an article about that anytime soon.

I love Nelson's heart but you guys are forgetting something.

Arenas said that Magic fans really have no idea how terribly short Jameer really is.

Ha-Ha-Ha....

Go Magic !!! Beat The Heat !!!!

Your ability to avoid anything even resembling an answer is astounding.

That is Stern's NBA, it's not sports, it's reality TV. A soap opera disguised as basketball. That moron being marketed to the hilt and a guy like Durant playing 2nd or 3rd or whatever fiddle to him is sickening.

Oh and to answer the Capt. question, when did he ever stop being a troll? I wouldn't hold my breath for a response, I doubt Denton or Kyler, or Broussard are going to write an article about that anytime soon.

You get my personal Interweb Mod Master award for this one. I love that Stern was booed when he came here. He belongs in the movie business, not sports. He can take Stern, the Dolphins owner with him as well. That's another guy who is just taking a duece all over a great sport and turning it into the WWE.

Good stuff, especially the Durant point. What a class guy Durant is..kind of restores your faith in humanity a little.

My theory on Junkie is that he takes meds and now and then forgets them. I say this because he has been super polite at times,and then has E Rage fits and power troll posts that come out of left field, and for no reason.