Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official Game Thread: Magic @ Grizzlies

lol wut

lol He's the one who injured JJ when we played the Cavs :mellow:

I don't know if we would have won if he played, but the game was pretty damn close.

BTW, don't know if this was posted yet:

Jan 31 Bass sprained his left ankle in Monday's game against the Grizzlies, the Orlando Sentinel's Josh Robbins reports.

Recommendation: X-rays were negative, but Bass will be reevaluated when the team returns to Orlando. The Magic are already thin in the frontcourt following the trade that sent Marcin Gortat out of town, so losing Bass for an extended period would be a significant blow. Orlando's next game is Thursday against Miami.

Got a bad feeling about this one too, only based on prior recent history. We ALWAYS find a way to drop one of the games with Memphis, particularly IN Memphis.

Rudy Gay will most likely pwn Hedo to a massive degree, and if he tries hard enough, Jameer will have Mike Conley for lunch. This game'll come down to the frontcourts, and two things will loom large. Turnovers. Rebounding.

I think you guys worry too much.

SVG figured out earlier this season if you double Z-Bo, Memphis is dead in the water cuz Z-Bo can't/won't pass, & Griz can't shoot.

Flip side, Z-Bo is the worst pick-n-roll defender in the league, Gasol not far behind, Griz don't close out hard on 3 pt. shooters, or get back.

Unless Magic can't buy an outside shot, should be eazy W. Lay 1.5, profit.

Sometimes I hate being right.

. . . . .

Nah, never mind, it never gets old.

P.S. Dwight Howard is an immature moron. Until he gets mentally tough... well, you can guess the rest.

• Downvote 3

. . . . .

P.S. Dwight Howard is an immature moron. Until he gets mentally tough... well, you can guess the rest.

Except Mike Conley had both Jameer and Gil for lunch. Aside from his missed free throw in closing minutes, the ex Ohio St. point guard was pretty impressive.

Hahaha, besides predicting a loss, you were basically completely wrong about everything else. . .

• Upvote 3

Think you're reaching when half the baskets you just referenced quality as points in the paint. Memphis was what, 2 for 6 from 3 in the 2nd & 3rd Qtr., 4 for 10 for the entire game? Hardly qualifies as brutal variance. This quote above acts as if they knocked down 6 of 6 and didn't kill Orlando in the paint. You're further completely ignoring the fact Memphis couldn't hit a J for most of the other 2 Qtrs. Those things tend to even out when you don't conveniently cherry pick data.

Memphis killed Orlando in the paint and set it off in the 2nd quarter with a barrage of layups and dunks. Pass it off as bad luck if you want, at some point this string of poor defensive performances isn't an anomaly, its a trend.

I'd love to know what aspect of my post was considered cherry-picking, given that I highlighted the two quarters where Memphis capitalized most. It was between the 2nd and 3rd quarter that the Grizzlies turned a seven point deficit into a twelve point cushion. A 19 point swing would be considered the turning point in the game, no? What they did during the 1st/4th is largely irrelevant within the context of the discussion, seeing as those weren't the two quarters where they shredded our D.

More importantly, a shot doesn't have to be a three-pointer to fall under the category of perimeter scoring. Where Memphis killed us was from midrange, where they shot an uncanny % during the two most crucial periods from everywhere beyond the key/inside the arc. I fail to see how a team averaging 49.6 points in the paint scoring 46 points last night is considered killing us, especially given that they underperformed based on their norm. The Grizzlies average 69.4 points per game on two-pointers, and if you subtract the aforementioned 49.6, it means they only average 19.8 points on two-point jumpers per game. Memphis made 19 two-point jumpers last night, which amounts to 38 points, double their norm. That isn't characteristic of them no matter how you choose to arbitrarily slice the data. Sorry.

. . . . .

I'm pretty sure my caveat qualified w/the 8-32 3-pt shooting, so I'll give you credit for being right w/o admitting I was wrong. lol

Dwight issue is far more concerning to me big picture however. Not sure what was shown on TV, but Stans reaction was one of pleading with Dwight to consider the situation, and Dwight's response would have only been appropriate if Stan had insulted his mom. 2 years ago, Stan would have rightly blown a fuse, & laid into him. Especially for his refusal to accept responsibility or criticism. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions...

I'd love to know what aspect of my post was considered cherry-picking, given that I highlighted the two quarters where Memphis capitalized most.

Question: I'd love to know what aspect of my post was considered cherry-picking

Answer: given that I highlighted the two quarters where Memphis capitalized most

You blame the loss on what you claim was uncharacteristically good mid-range jump shooting by Memphis in the 2nd & 3rd Qtr.; where they erased a double-digit lead & built one of their own.

Even if true, it appears incredibly convenient to overlook the fact Memphis shot 1-5 from outside the paint to start the game while Orlando built a double-digit lead and shot 0-5 from outside the paint to start the 4th Qtr. while Orlando erased the double digit lead Memphis had built.

Over the course of the entire game, did Memphis hurt Orlando from outside? No

Question: I'd love to know what aspect of my post was considered cherry-picking

Answer: given that I highlighted the two quarters where Memphis capitalized most

You blame the loss on what you claim was uncharacteristically good mid-range jump shooting by Memphis in the 2nd & 3rd Qtr.; where they erased a double-digit lead & built one of their own.

Even if true, it appears incredibly convenient to overlook the fact Memphis shot 1-5 from outside the paint to start the game while Orlando built a double-digit lead and shot 0-5 from outside the paint to start the 4th Qtr. while Orlando erased the double digit lead Memphis had built.

Huh? Cherry-picking data is considered focusing on smaller fragments while deliberately dismissing the rest. The point of discussion was "how did Memphis carve up our D?", so I highlighted the two quarters where that happened. They didn't do diddly squat in the 1st or 4th quarter, at least not relative to how effortlessly they scored during the 2nd/3rd.

Talk about blatant contradiction. You just criticized me for dismissing the 1st/4th quarter as critical, and essentially do the same here, except with the 2nd/3rd.

Speaking of cherry-picking, I'm glad you chose to focus on that tiny aspect of my post while simultaneously failing to address the other ten or so points I made. That's always nice.