Teammates hate Dwight.

Teammates won't pass.

Hedo chucks 3s.

Bass got hurt.

JJ didn't play.

Officials were horrendous.

Conley was redickulous.

Is that good?

Outside of Conley going 4-6 from 3, what exactly did Memphis do outside their norm? If anything, I'd suggest that balanced the litany of chippies Rudy & Z-Bo missed. Memphis played with more energy than normal after going zone, but they killed Orlando with points in the paint, that's 100% execution.

It's not what they did individually, it's what they did collectively from the beginning of the 2nd quarter until the end of the 3rd. Just jumper after jumper. Despite nearly blowing a 15 point lead, we were in a pretty comfortable position entering the 2nd quarter, and then then they absolutely blew the lid off the rim.

2nd Quarter

11:22 28-25 Darrell Arthur makes 18-foot jumper (Greivis Vasquez assists)

10:52 28-27 Rudy Gay makes 18-foot two point shot

10:00 30-29 Darrell Arthur makes 17-foot jumper

8:14 35-33 Greivis Vasquez makes 22-foot jumper

7:37 37-35 Mike Conley makes 9-foot two point shot

3:41 49-44 Mike Conley makes 9-foot running jumper

2:40 52-48 Zach Randolph makes 10-foot two point shot

2:01 52-50 Marc Gasol makes 12-foot jumper (Tony Allen assists)

3rd Quarter

11:44 58-56 Sam Young makes 21-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

10:56 58-58 Marc Gasol makes jumper (Mike Conley assists)

9:26 62-63 Rudy Gay makes 16-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

8:53 62-66 Mike Conley makes 26-foot three point jumper (Marc Gasol assists)

8:04 64-68 Zach Randolph makes 9-foot running jumper

7:22 66-72 Mike Conley makes three point jumper (Rudy Gay assists)

6:39 66-74 Marc Gasol makes 9-foot jumper

4:18 66-76 Sam Young makes 16-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

3:01 68-81 Mike Conley makes 25-foot three point jumper (Rudy Gay assists)

2:23 71-83 Sam Young makes 21-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

Memphis had one field-goal in the 3rd quarter at the rim. ONE. For a team that ranks 1st in the NBA at points scored in the paint and bottom 3 in three-pointers made (which is a good/great indicator of perimeter shooting prowess in general), you accept this is as uncharacteristic. I know it's difficult to fathom (and I don't intend to come off condescending) a team lucking out, shooting-wise, especially given our recent luck against opponents on the perimeter, but I know a shooting anomaly when I see one. It just so happens we've had the unfortunate luck of running into three of them (OKC, DET, MEM) in three of our last four losses.

I missed the game.

I'd like to hear in three words or less why we lost.

'Memphis scored more' doesn't count.

It's. A. Trap.

No, wait, that's four.

Memphis shot well.

Memphis plays tough and they're almost there as a playoff contender. They may have shot well tonight, but Zach had a horrible game by his standards. They still should not have beat this Magic team.

It's not what they did individually, it's what they did collectively from the beginning of the 2nd quarter until the end of the 3rd. Just jumper after jumper. Despite nearly blowing a 15 point lead, we were in a pretty comfortable position entering the 2nd quarter, and then then they absolutely blew the lid off the rim.

2nd Quarter

11:22 28-25 Darrell Arthur makes 18-foot jumper (Greivis Vasquez assists)

10:52 28-27 Rudy Gay makes 18-foot two point shot

10:00 30-29 Darrell Arthur makes 17-foot jumper

8:14 35-33 Greivis Vasquez makes 22-foot jumper

7:37 37-35 Mike Conley makes 9-foot two point shot

3:41 49-44 Mike Conley makes 9-foot running jumper

2:40 52-48 Zach Randolph makes 10-foot two point shot

2:01 52-50 Marc Gasol makes 12-foot jumper (Tony Allen assists)

3rd Quarter

11:44 58-56 Sam Young makes 21-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

10:56 58-58 Marc Gasol makes jumper (Mike Conley assists)

9:26 62-63 Rudy Gay makes 16-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

8:53 62-66 Mike Conley makes 26-foot three point jumper (Marc Gasol assists)

8:04 64-68 Zach Randolph makes 9-foot running jumper

7:22 66-72 Mike Conley makes three point jumper (Rudy Gay assists)

6:39 66-74 Marc Gasol makes 9-foot jumper

4:18 66-76 Sam Young makes 16-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

3:01 68-81 Mike Conley makes 25-foot three point jumper (Rudy Gay assists)

2:23 71-83 Sam Young makes 21-foot jumper (Mike Conley assists)

Memphis had one field-goal in the 3rd quarter at the rim. ONE. For a team that ranks 1st in the NBA at points scored in the paint and bottom 3 in three-pointers made (which is a good/great indicator of perimeter shooting prowess in general), you accept this is as uncharacteristic. I know it's difficult to fathom (and I don't intend to come off condescending) a team lucking out, shooting-wise, especially given our recent luck against opponents on the perimeter, but I know a shooting anomaly when I see one. It just so happens we've had the unfortunate luck of running into three of them (OKC, DET, MEM) in three of our last four losses.

Think you're reaching when half the baskets you just referenced quality as points in the paint. Memphis was what, 2 for 6 from 3 in the 2nd & 3rd Qtr., 4 for 10 for the entire game? Hardly qualifies as brutal variance. This quote above acts as if they knocked down 6 of 6 and didn't kill Orlando in the paint. You're further completely ignoring the fact Memphis couldn't hit a J for most of the other 2 Qtrs. Those things tend to even out when you don't conveniently cherry pick data.

Memphis killed Orlando in the paint and set it off in the 2nd quarter with a barrage of layups and dunks. Pass it off as bad luck if you want, at some point this string of poor defensive performances isn't an anomaly, its a trend.

• Upvote 1

The Celtics last year is an example that regular season games aren't as important as people make them out to be. In the same sense Cleveland for the past few years have shown that winning 60+ games doesn't guarantee anything. Even good teams go through funks in the regular season but the most important thing is to go into the playoffs healthy and clicking. If the team was playing like it is now during April, I'd certainly be worried. . . but it's not even the All-Star break yet.

I agree that regular season win and loss totals aren't as important as people make them out to be, but I do think there is something to be said about what happens during the games and what goes on.

For example, many of us know how a match-up between the Magic and Indiana would turn out. Magic win. How do we know? They never faced in the playoffs; only regular season, but we still know the Magic could easily take them.

.. However, they are really, really falling behind in the standings. Couple in the fact that the Magic have never really shown a strong resilience on the road before or after the trade and even if they "pick it up in the playoffs", there should still be doubts had. The Magic also aren't the only team going through injuries. The Celtics haven't had Perkins for over half the season, didn't have Garnett for a stretch or Rondo. All of the Heat players have been absent at least for 2 or 3 games and Mike Miller is only getting back in the rotation. The Bulls have not had Noah since November I think?

This is not to downplay injuries to key guys like Nelson. Obviously he is as important to the team as any of the players I listed; if not, even more important. Sure you can credit almost all losses to simple adjustments and injured players, but what the heck does that say about the teams ahead?

I think the final Atlanta match-up will be what causes me to decide whether this team will even return to the ECF. As you all know, I've raised red flags since the first Atlanta match-up. If the Orlando Magic seriously lose a series and playoff spot to Atlanta, that will obviously send a signal to me that the top eastern teams have grown and the Magic have stagnated.

Only time will tell, though.

Edit: I also agree with the quote above me.

Pass it off as bad luck if you want, at some point this string of poor defensive performances isn't an anomaly, its a trend.

I agree that regular season win and loss totals aren't as important as people make them out to be, but I do think there is something to be said about what happens during the games and what goes on.

For example, many of us know how a match-up between the Magic and Indiana would turn out. Magic win. How do we know? They never faced in the playoffs; only regular season, but we still know the Magic could easily take them.

.. However, they are really, really falling behind in the standings. Couple in the fact that the Magic have never really shown a strong resilience on the road before or after the trade and even if they "pick it up in the playoffs", there should still be doubts had. The Magic also aren't the only team going through injuries. The Celtics haven't had Perkins for over half the season, didn't have Garnett for a stretch or Rondo. All of the Heat players have been absent at least for 2 or 3 games and Mike Miller is only getting back in the rotation. The Bulls have not had Noah since November I think?

This is not to downplay injuries to key guys like Nelson. Obviously he is as important to the team as any of the players I listed; if not, even more important. Sure you can credit almost all losses to simple adjustments and injured players, but what the heck does that say about the teams ahead?

I think the final Atlanta match-up will be what causes me to decide whether this team will even return to the ECF. As you all know, I've raised red flags since the first Atlanta match-up. If the Orlando Magic seriously lose a series and playoff spot to Atlanta, that will obviously send a signal to me that the top eastern times have grown and the Magic have stagnated.

Only time will tell, though.

It has only been 23 games since the trade. Miami started off basically a .500 team and in 23 games had the same W-L record in their first 23 as the Magic have. These things take time, and not being healthy through it certainly doesn't help.

It's more important for the Magic to continue to carry out the game plan and get guys acclimated than it is to be worrying about regular season wins.

I do worry about this team's IQ though.