Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Have Otis Smith Answer Your Question

It's time for another edition of Ask Otis.

Just post your question for the Magic President of Basketball Operations/GM here.

I hope to see some better questions than just the standard trade for Melo or [insert player here].

Every now and again I get into a conversation with him about the message boards, so I'm hoping the better questions come from here rather than our Facebook or Twitter to prove a point.

Do me proud.

Also, if possible mention your real first name and city in the post.

How about rehashing an old wound....lol

I would like to know.... Are there any plans for Fran to play for the Magic, after all he was a high pick.... and would be a good fit in SVG's system paired with Howard .

Erik Barnett - Charlotte,NC (Orlando Alum..lol)

Victor (Orlando)

How healthy really is the team?

if needed to elaborate

Hedo has lost a lot of his "magic" from the trade and has looked a few steps slower. Can this be attributed to an injury or just running out of energy from the road trip?

Arenas also looks a lot less explosive. Is this what we are to expect from him or is he still not 100%? (keep in mind I mean what to expect from him in terms of how healthy he looks, not how well he plays

Is Bass still thinking about surgery, and if so, would it then be the time to look for a backup big? Or is the search for a backup big the reason why Bass hasn't had surgery yet?

Does he like this team?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Dan. Good stuff.

Paul (Greenwich, CT)

Otis, two questions:

1. What two areas must this team improve to make a serious run at a championship?

2. Given Dwight's pause on signing a contract extension, do you have a mental timeline in place to begin evaluating options regarding his future?

Scott (DeLand, FL)

Otis,

This team saw a much faster than anticipated turn around after those mid season trades, but once the excitement started to wear off, they seem to be falling back into a similar pattern of slow starts and sub-par defense considering what we've come to expect from a Stan Van Gundy coached team. I realize the new guys need some time to adjust defensively, but do you think we can get back to being one of the top defensive teams this season, and what happened to the excitement and energy from the beginning of that 9 game winning streak?

Johnny from Perth/Scotland.

After the Lebron James saga last pre season he recieved a lot of criticism for changing teams to a more talented Miami in search of a title rather than bringing a championship to Cleveland. He was constantly being compared to Jordan, Magic, Bird etc etc who stayed with the one team and won a heap of rings.

Does he think that this kind of talk will be playing on Dwights mind with regards to his contract situation?

Also Otis and Stan where very vocal in calling LeBron out for changing teams, were they maybe trying to plant a thought in D12s head in doing so?

Keep up the great work.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

2 questions

Omar (Tampa)

1. Did Gilbert make any salary concessions to his contract to make the trade happen and if not why decrease the ability to be flexible in 2012?

2. What is your username on the message board?

• Upvote 3

After the Lebron James saga last pre season he recieved a lot of criticism for changing teams to a more talented Miami in search of a title rather than bringing a championship to Cleveland. He was constantly being compared to Jordan, Magic, Bird etc etc who stayed with the one team and won a heap of rings.

Does he think that this kind of talk will be playing on Dwights mind with regards to his contract situation?

Also Otis and Stan where very vocal in calling LeBron out for changing teams, were they maybe trying to plant a thought in D12s head in doing so?

Keep up the great work.

Honestly, I don't think this is a bad question or even something I wouldn't want to know, but I think it'd be better if Otis didn't have to answer whether or not he and the coach were saying those things as a way to trick/brainwash Howard.

• Upvote 3

Otis,

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is it for you to bring in a backup center?

2. Are you considering bringing in a serviceable backup center before the trade deadline?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Alex (Daytona Beach, FL)

1. Otis, how important is it for you to resign Jason Richardson in the offseason, or do you feel we won't miss a beat with Redick as our starting 2?

2. Was it easy for you to give up a 1st round pick in the Phoenix trade with getting Earl Clark back? Do you see him sticking with this team and giving it much needed youth to build for the future.

3. Please agree or disagree: "I like this team".

4. Is Paul Porter a machine?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Matt - Orange City

Did you consult the Arenas trade to SVG?

Do you regret trading Lewis instead of waiting and see how he would have played next Hedo?