Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

What more do you want from J. Nelson ? (commentary)

Orlando Magic fans have lost their patience with Jameer Nelson, it'd seem, in a baffling development. The Magic's seventh-year point guard and team co-captain is losing support from the fanbase after two subpar performances against the New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City Thunder, road games Orlando lost by a combined four points.

I'll never understand, I don't think, why Orlando supporters expect more of Nelson, or why the fix for any of the team's problems, in some of their eyes, is to bench him. What's Nelson doing wrong, exactly? Because he's shooting 44.1 percent from the floor, 40 percent from three-point range, and dishing a career-best 6.7 assists per game in an offense that doesn't generate a ton of assist chances. Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, a former Magic coach who garners plenty of respect here and throughout the league, said Nelson has "the biggest heart on the team" and is "a warrior," for example.

And yet fans continue to press for Nelson to move to the bench, or to Basketball Siberia, despite the fact that he was the team's second-best player before the December 18th trades that shook up the roster. Calls for Gilbert Arenas, acquired in one of those trades, are especially confounding. He's shooting 37 percent himself, and 33.9 percent from deep. He's no longer the player who averaged 29.3 points and 6.1 assists in the 2005/06 season, and at this point, only bests Nelson in rebounding and shot-blocking.

I get that Nelson's short, doesn't excel at any particular skill except outside shooting, and isn't a perennial All-Star. But of the league's point guards, non-franchise-player division, he might be the best. Maybe you prefer Jose Calderon's low-mistake ways, or Devin Harris' slashing and quickness, or whatever it is Raymond Felton does that has people thinking he could win Most Improved Player this season, or Jason Kidd's expert passing; I wouldn't fault you for that. But for this team, for this coach, there's not a better, more realistic option than Nelson.

This is the place to air out your feelings on anything Jameer Nelson....be it bad or good.

Go here for the rest:

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/1/14/1934496/what-more-do-you-want-from-jameer-nelson

Peace....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why not....

Look Nelson is a capable guard and is doing a good job. We have a "rare" 1-2 punch in having "2" ALL Star PG's on the same team.... looking at the fact we didnt give up much, and increased our production across the board.

There will be bad performances... its the NBA and its a long season... the end result is where judgment comes from. This team is still learning to click... some are doing well like Richardson... some are taking more time like Gil.

For people calling for a Nelson trade.... would make us lose this 1-2 punch advantage we will have against Miami and Boston... incredibly not smart.

Well, there's probably at least 4 threads about it on RealGM.

Sheesh. I guess my response would be that there isn't any reasoning with people that judge personel by **edit** by parts of stat sheets only.

Sounds about right, an irrational call to bench Nelson from a group of fans lacking in an ability to exhibit rational thought and prone to knee jerk reactions.

this is so perfect i'm gonna quote it and add some text below it so that i dont just quote it

GO MAGIC!!!!

GO TURK!!!!

GO ARENAS!!!!!!

GO JJ!!!!!!

GO JRICH!!!!!!

GO BASS!!!!!

GO MALIK!!!!!

GO MAGIC!!!!!! BEAT THE CELTICS!!!!!!!!!

• Downvote 1

Check the last two game threads.

Wow. I don't want to call out specific people but for those of you that feel that way do you honestly think that Jameer is the reason we lost either of those 2 games? I'd actually love to hear from those people so if you could put yourself out there rather than just hitting -1's that would be great.

• Upvote 1