Sign in to follow this  
Audi

Why can I only connect *sometimes*?

Are the servers really that bad? I couldn't connect to this site throughout the entire game.

Often times it's just at random times that the boards seem to be completely down.

I've been dealing with the same problem too often over the past few months. Sometimes there are days that I can log on for 5 minutes, then it goes off and no browser can find the website. Like it's been shut down or something. Then 3 hours later, another 5 minute window and then down again.

It happened to me as recently as yesterday and this morning.

It's not a site wide problem.

I suggest you three start logging dates and times that you experience the issue, what browser and versions you are using, and share info to see if there are common denominators. If it was site wide, there would be a LOT of people having this issue.

It's not a site wide problem.

I suggest you three start logging dates and times that you experience the issue, what browser and versions you are using, and share info to see if there are common denominators. If it was site wide, there would be a LOT of people having this issue.

Well, I don't know what the problem is. All I know is this is the only website where this happens.

Well, I don't know what the problem is. All I know is this is the only website where this happens.

I think it is a problem with the server. I tried Google, Google Chrome, and Firefox, and the server could not been found. I think it is on the Magic end. I researched the problem and everything indicates the problem from the Magic end. Maybe the people the have the problem, cannot get on to complain. This is the only website I have problems with. Magic management please look into the problem. It is disappointing to the fans, when you cannot get online for 4 and 5 days straight.

I've suggested this a few times in general terms, but you guys seem to be dead set against working together, so, here goes.

Fill this out:

PC/Mac:

Operating System (and Service Packs where applicable):

Broswer (Include version):

Router (Brand and Model if applicable):

Region (Where are you from):

Internet Connection:

For example:

PC/Mac: PC

Operating System (and Service Packs where applicable): Windows XP Pro v 2002 w/SP3

Broswer (Include version): IE8 v8.0.60001.187021C

Router (Brand and Model if applicable): Netgear WPN824NA

Region (Where are you from): Central Florida

Internet Connection: Cable

You can find your OS info in Windows by right clicking "My Computer" on your desktop or in your start menu, then select "Properties" to view System information.

You can find your browser info by opening your browser, selecting "Help" then selecting "About (Browser Name)"

My general stab at this is that you are all using computers at home that are connected in a typical home network fashion (internet source connected to a wired/wireless router, computer connected to the router). Under this assumption, I'm going to guess that your issue is MTU related. MTU stands for Maximum Transmission Unit and it sets the cap size on transmission packets your computer/router can accept. Generally this is set at 1500. If you MTU setting is higher, knock it down to 1500. If it's set at 1500, drop it down to 1400. (Hint: This is a setting in your router). If you access your router admin features and do not have a place to adjust the MTU, check the manufacturer to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your router (you might be able to check and apply this from the admin menu itself). If you are using Windows Vista, there might be an MTU setting available on your PC itself.

Last week, our modem went bad, and we replaced it with a new one. I don't have the connect problems now so maybe that was the problem.

:happypuppy: :happypuppy: :happypuppy:

Interesting - When I cannot access the forum here I can run through a proxy like HideMyAss.com and get here no problem.

Of course I can't be logged in...

Last week, our modem went bad, and we replaced it with a new one. I don't have the connect problems now so maybe that was the problem.

:happypuppy: :happypuppy: :happypuppy:

That's what we were going to start trouble shooting by looking at your MTU settings. I was trying to tell you it was on your end, not with the site itself. Glad you got it fixed. ;-)

are these problems solved for everyone now?

its IP based, which is why some can get on with a proxy, the server essentially never goes down, data center scheduled maintenance. is done 12am-5am, and happens about twice a year, so the more info we get, as someone suggested above, region, Ip address, times it happened it it can be solved, but since no one has posted here since feb, im assuming this isnt really happening much anymore... I feel it was probably due to some growing pains in banning spam accounts and some fan IP's get temporarily caught in the crossfire... but hard to say for sure without further details.

Thanks

are these problems solved for everyone now?

its IP based, which is why some can get on with a proxy, the server essentially never goes down, data center scheduled maintenance. is done 12am-5am, and happens about twice a year, so the more info we get, as someone suggested above, region, Ip address, times it happened it it can be solved, but since no one has posted here since feb, im assuming this isnt really happening much anymore... I feel it was probably due to some growing pains in banning spam accounts and some fan IP's get temporarily caught in the crossfire... but hard to say for sure without further details.

Thanks

This was a big problem for a small few, but lately a larger portion of people have been having a similar issue to what I will describe below.

I am logged onto this site all day at work. I never have an issue. I log on from home, and I will hit a page not found error, and it can take anywhere from a single refresh, to several refreshes to finally regain my connection. The way it's acting, it almost seems like you have a single bad server (assuming you have more than one server running) that is causing an issue. I've had a few people tell me personally that they are experiencing this issue.

I'm more than happy to help testing from work or home if you tell me what you need to know. Also, if you want more input, one of the mods can move this into the main forum, or I can create a new thread in the main forum to see how many people are experiencing this issue.

I appreciate your presence here and letting us know that our issues aren't falling on deaf ears.