Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Who's the odd man out to get a "BIG" (link)

Posted by The Alpha Quasar:

No player is ever untouchable, but you're making several strange assumptions here. The first assumption is that Arenas will ever be what he was(I highly doubt it) and second, you're assuming that Arenas's play makes Jameer expendable when Gilbert's best game with a Magic uniform(and really, all year) came when he spent more than half his minutes playing 2 guard with Jameer at point.

Would I trade Jameer if the right deal was offered? Sure. But "The right deal" isn't one where we get Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalembert.

First off, thanks to The Alpha Quasar and SkyWise for the takes....Being vets of the board your opinion is valued (not that I don't value other's here too).

Secondly, I started my sentence with "IF" ......you see, I'm not convinced with Arenas "YET" either.....so I'm not assuming anything.

Third, in refernce to the Cavs game.....Arenas played 32 minutes (31:50 to be exact).....he and Jameer played together for 15 minutes of that game (3 minutes in the 2nd & 12 minutes in the 4th)....that is not more than half the time together....since I don't have a replay of the game my memory tells me that all the time they spent together on the court wasn't just Jameer at point....Gil was there some also (with Jameer at 2).

I know you know that line-up won't be used a lot....unless we're playing the Cavs every night.

You do realize that during the 4th when you say Jameer was at point that Arenas had 5 assists to go along with his points ?....Jameer had 3 assists during that time....2 of which were in the last minute and a half when he just came down and passed it to Gilbert and he shot a three and the game was in garbage time....Gil was making things happen when the game was still in doubt.

Anyway, glad to know we're on the same page....because I'd trade Jameer for the right guy too.....

First off, thanks to The Alpha Quasar and SkyWise for the takes....Being vets of the board your opinion is valued (not that I don't value other's here too).

Secondly, I started my sentence with "IF" ......you see, I'm not convinced with Arenas "YET" either.....so I'm not assuming anything.

Third, in refernce to the Cavs game.....Arenas played 32 minutes (31:50 to be exact).....he and Jameer played together for 15 minutes of that game (3 minutes in the 2nd & 12 minutes in the 4th)....that is not more than half the time together....since I don't have a replay of the game my memory tells me that all the time they spent together on the court wasn't just Jameer at point....Gil was there some also (with Jameer at 2).

I know you know that line-up won't be used a lot....unless we're playing the Cavs every night.

You do realize that during the 4th when you say Jameer was at point that Arenas had 5 assists to go along with his points ?....Jameer had 3 assists during that time....2 of which were in the last minute and a half when he just came down and passed it to Gilbert and he shot a three and the game was in garbage time....Gil was making things happen when the game was still in doubt.

Anyway, glad to know we're on the same page....because I'd trade Jameer for the right guy too.....

Glad to know we are pointing out that the half comment was off by a whopping 45 seconds.

Orlando will not trade Jameer Nelson unless he starts playing like garbage. He has not come even close to garbage games yet. In fact, he and Gil looked pretty good on the floor together against the Cavs. I hear a lot of people saying that they can't do this lineup more often, but i don't see why not. We have yet to see how it works against the Heat, but Gil actually matches up better than anyone else on the team right now against Flash. Wade is a smallish SG with outrageous speed. Gil is a smallish SG with very good speed. Not saying Arenas can shut down Wade, but neither can JRich or JJ or anyone else in the league. Gil will do as good a job against Wade as anyone else we have. So how about New York. Well, does anyone think Landry Fields will really take Gil to school? So how about the Hawks (sooo underrated, by the way)? The Hawks play a lot of big lineups against Orlando so far this year, but I'd like to see how the new lineups match up when they have Jamal Crawford back. He has to get minutes, and most will probably be against Gil; and he's not a big guy, more of a quick guy. So how 'bout the Bulls? Who is the bulls starting SG?

And if we get to the finals, what about those teams? Lakers? Well, Gil can't guard Kobe; not gonna happen. Gil can't guard any of their 3's for sure. So finally I see a hole. OK lets move on to the Spurs. Gil vs. Manu is actually not so bad, is it; another guy who plays more quick than big. Mavericks? most of their minutes, especially down the stretch come with Jason Terry at SG. Gil is actually bigger, younger, and every bit as fast if not faster. Utah? Two words: Raja Bell.

So those two together should be just fine against everyone but the Lakers. I think we can agree to cross that bridge when we get to it. If we get that far I'll be happy, and since no one will shut down Kobe in the playoffs, I think if Orlando plays well elsewhere and picks their rotations well they still have a good shot against them.

So one or more of the others will be traded, most likely. Duhon is looking less likely as I don't like just having two injury prone PGs on the roster. JJ would not OK a trade unless he could start for a contender. JWill is going to retire. So Q is the odd man out, sad as it makes me to get rid of the one guy we have tried to convince ourselves is a stopper. Q is a good enough role-player that for the right team a bigman for him is not out of the question.

Well, if we're going to decide who was point guard based on who had the most assists, I can think of a game I went to two years ago where Dwight played point guard.

What wound up happening was the two of them shared the ball handling duties, while playing eerily similar to that pseudo-triangle offense that the mid-90s Sonics used to run when they didn't feel like winning, only we shot well enough to pull it off.

Also, it's worth noting that 2 of those Arenas assists were off swing passes, after he'd caught a pass from Jameer after he drove, so to argue that Arenas was distributing better than Nelson in the 4th based on his assist numbers is faulty logic anyway.

Ultimately, "I've decided to pass this game" Gilbert Arenas shares many of the flaws as "I've decided to shoot this game" Gilbert Arenas: mainly, that he tends to hog the ball, force things that aren't there, and get into the air without knowing what he plans to do once he gets up there. That's why he ended up with 11 assists and 5 turnovers. He CAN be great when he's on, but he's always going to be reckless. That's who he is.

Well, if we're going to decide who was point guard based on who had the most assists, I can think of a game I went to two years ago where Dwight played point guard.

What wound up happening was the two of them shared the ball handling duties, while playing eerily similar to that pseudo-triangle offense that the mid-90s Sonics used to run when they didn't feel like winning, only we shot well enough to pull it off.

Also, it's worth noting that 2 of those Arenas assists were off swing passes, after he'd caught a pass from Jameer after he drove, so to argue that Arenas was distributing better than Nelson in the 4th based on his assist numbers is faulty logic anyway.

Ultimately, "I've decided to pass this game" Gilbert Arenas shares many of the flaws as "I've decided to shoot this game" Gilbert Arenas: mainly, that he tends to hog the ball, force things that aren't there, and get into the air without knowing what he plans to do once he gets up there. That's why he ended up with 11 assists and 5 turnovers. He CAN be great when he's on, but he's always going to be reckless. That's who he is.

But, but, but.....you admitted you'd trade Jameer....ha-ha, good stuff!

Agree, I didn't like the to's....but I'm pulling for Arenas to cut down on the recklessness....and shed that label.....because I want this team to win the championship!

Go Turk !!!

Go Magic !!!

I think ultimately we can get rid of Duhon, QRich, J-Will (no ones gonna take him), Earl Clark, and Ryno. I'd rather get rid of Earl Clark instead of Ryno so we can at least have the ability to run the stretch 4, but whatever.

Getting rid of anyone else would be a severe mistake.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i say wait for a while. what you are looking for is someone to help in the playoffs. lets see how bass, ryan, and clark handle the rotation. also allen is still there. if they prove they can't do it then you trade. i would not trade nelson, gil, or jj. you will need the hot hand come playoff time. gil is a loose cannon but when he is hot he is really hot. nelson and jj give the team stability. if gil starts to defend and play smarter he could start. if not you still have nelson. you can not give up a potential starter for a guy who might or might not play.

From my ESPN Insider:

Last week came word the Magic, who are looking for a quality backup center with Marcin Gortat now a Sun, had inquired about New York's Ronny Turiaf and Philadelphia's Tony Battie.

Steve Kyler of HOOPSWORLD also adds two other names -- Nazr Mohammed of the Bobcats and Jamaal Magloire of the Heat -- but it appears the Magic have had little luck in talks for these two as well.

"Sources close to the situation say there was at least a passing dialogue concerning a Jason Williams for Magloire swap, but that the Heat didn't seem overly interested, even if the Magic tossed in a second round pick," he wrote. " ... The Magic's lack of progress on finding a reserve big is not based on effort, rather a limited interest in what the Magic have to sell."

The Magic are believed to be dangling Williams, Quentin Richardson or Chris Duhon for the big they seek.

But for now, it's looking like they may need to up their offer if they want to land a player of note.

-- Ryan Corazza

Interesting......who's gonna be the odd man out ?....Looks like the Magic are gonna have to up their offer just to get a scrub.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Alright, Junk dog, question:

Not saying they would do it, but would you trade Bass, Anderson or Redick (with other minor pieces) for Camby or Varejao?

But, but, but.....you admitted you'd trade Jameer....ha-ha, good stuff!

Agree, I didn't like the to's....but I'm pulling for Arenas to cut down on the recklessness....and shed that label.....because I want this team to win the championship!

Go Turk !!!

Go Magic !!!

I think all of us would trade Jameer for the right piece. I'm not sure I'd do a deal for Chris Paul anymore (knee issues and it would take more than just Nelson to get a deal done; I would do a hypothetical Nelson-Paul swap though). I'd trade for Russell Westbrook, Rose, Williams (PG's) Wade, Kobe, Eric Gordon, Kevin Martin, (SG's) Durant, Lebron, Granger, Gay, (SF's) Dirk, Millsap, Blake Griffin, Amar'e (PF's)

I'd be on the fence with Wes Matthews and Kevin Love.

None of these deals are going to happen though. It's not worth losing what Jameer brings to this team for a player that shouldn't play if Dwight can stay on the court.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alright, Junk dog, question:

Not saying they would do it, but would you trade Bass, Anderson or Redick (with other minor pieces) for Camby or Varejao?

I wouldn't, I like what Camby brings to a team but you can't play Dwight and Camby at the same time. Portland has had problems playing Camby and Aldridge together because the other team clogs the paint which limits Aldridge's effectiveness.

From my ESPN Insider:

Interesting......who's gonna be the odd man out ?....Looks like the Magic are gonna have to up their offer just to get a scrub.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

When that deadline draws closer, the deals will start to form. Teams don't have as much incentive to make a trade right now when they can sit back and wait to see how things play out. If Otis decides we HAVE TO HAVE A GUY RIGHT NOW, then it puts us in a position of weakness. If we make inquiries now, of course teams are going to look for Otis to up his offer, especially with all the "Orlando needs a big" press going on.