Sign in to follow this  
Johnboy1980

Do we honestly think that Dwight will bail on us?

I know everyone refers back to Shaq leaving us high and dry to head to LA whenever Dwights contract situation is talked about but do we really think he'll leave us for pastures new?

I like Shaq, he's a fun character and without a doubt one of the most dominant players ever in the league BUT I aways get the feeling his career decisions were made with a heart of stone. Never really taking into account the team and fans that he was leaving. Especially in Orlando, when we were striving to get a championship with a talented and young team, he left and that dream was destroyed. At least in some of his other teams he actually got them a ring before leaving.

Dwight on the other hand seems deeply involved in the community and constantly refers himself as the leader of our team so do we actually reckon he would desert the team that drafted him. Especially after the abuse that Lebron took for jumping ship to Miami and then "damaging his legacy". There seems to be a lot of respect given to one team legends like Jordan and Kobe so maybe this would be at the back of D12s mind when decision time rolls around.

Plus he's got proof that the Magic franchise are determined to win given the new stadium and the DeVos family time and again spending money to improve the team. I've seen some people refer to the Magic as a "small team", I simply don't agree with this anymore. Does Howard?

Or does the latest trade simply convince Howard that it's a business when all is said and done and he needs to look after no 1?

Your thoughts please.

No.

Dwight is not in the same "attention having class" as... lets say.... Shaq, Lebron, etc.

Dwight want to build his legacy, which includes championships.... Dwight wants to retire his jersey... Dwight wants to follow through with his commitment....

Orlando Magic is doing what it needs to do, Dwight knows and see's this...

If we don't win a championship in the next 2 years, or if we can't sign another max FA when we sign Dwight, then yes, I think he's going to leave.

He's the best player at his position. He wants to win a championship while he still is.

I know everyone refers back to Shaq leaving us high and dry to head to LA whenever Dwights contract situation is talked about but do we really think he'll leave us for pastures new?

I like Shaq, he's a fun character and without a doubt one of the most dominant players ever in the league BUT I aways get the feeling his career decisions were made with a heart of stone. Never really taking into account the team and fans that he was leaving. Especially in Orlando, when we were striving to get a championship with a talented and young team, he left and that dream was destroyed. At least in some of his other teams he actually got them a ring before leaving.

Dwight on the other hand seems deeply involved in the community and constantly refers himself as the leader of our team so do we actually reckon he would desert the team that drafted him. Especially after the abuse that Lebron took for jumping ship to Miami and then "damaging his legacy". There seems to be a lot of respect given to one team legends like Jordan and Kobe so maybe this would be at the back of D12s mind when decision time rolls around.

Plus he's got proof that the Magic franchise are determined to win given the new stadium and the DeVos family time and again spending money to improve the team. I've seen some people refer to the Magic as a "small team", I simply don't agree with this anymore. Does Howard?

Or does the latest trade simply convince Howard that it's a business when all is said and done and he needs to look after no 1?

Your thoughts please.

Hopefully Dwight has more character than the likes of Lebron. Grew up in orlando and have seen this organization grow in leaps and bounds so Im sure D12 sees that as well. Hope Otis has a few more tricks up his sleeves. But if that dark day comes and dwight leaves so be it. Magic 4 life.

D12 isn't going anywhere. I think he will realize more than LB gives BJs to 3 that the staff is trying to build a team around him. I don't think he will take the same route that LeBron did.

oh and P.S. its funny as hell to be on a Magic "fan" forums and go into the chat-room one time and read "TRADE DWIGHT" for K.-Love etc.etc.etc. Some people have no clue how to build a team and/or anything about the game.

I'm sorry, but what happened to the world? Why are we so cynical? I'm not saying Dwight for sure won't leave. I'm not even saying we shouldn't be having this conversation, because I understand it is a possibility, and that that is worth conversation. But what happened? Were people saying that MJ would leave Chicago to join the Lakers before he won a title? Where was the Karl Malone trade demand? Did David Robinson refuse to re-sign with San Antonio unless they traded for Clyde Drexler? I mean seriously, where is the heart in sports anymore. I guess with all these AAU teams loading up on talent and just beating up hapless losers, competition isn't the reason to love the game anymore. We just praise these guys for their athletic ability and their hightlight dunks until they get to college, where they play one year on a team full of freshmen just like them before going to the NBA, then expect them to somehow develop competitive edge. We see guys like Shane Battier and we think, "Wow, that guys plays hard on defense! He's a real competitor!" This is sports. This is the NBA. If you don't have competitive edge then why are you here.

Not that I'm blaming the players. It's the society that we live in. The highlight era of sports in full swing. I'd like to see that 30 for 30. "How ESPN killed the game." But it's not just ESPN. It's all of us. We destroy what we love. Look at man. Sports is the dichotomy of man's progression through history. Man invents- man perfects- man obsesses- man destroys- man laments the loss of what he once loved.

• Upvote 1