Captain Hi-Top

Do Magic's Big Deals Improve Their Team?

I guess the ESPN Boyz are slowly but surely admitting the error of their ways...

Vlad (Orlando)

Ric,The orlando magic trade has proved that they are a contender in the east once again this year, do you see them getting past boston and miami?

Ric Bucher (1:53 PM)

They are much better than they were. Can't see them beating Boston. Can't wait to see them play Miami. Will be harder than ever for Chicago to get past them.

Go Magic !!!

Beat the Rockets !!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36300

I guess the ESPN Boyz are slowly but surely admitting the error of their ways...

Go Magic !!!

Beat the Rockets !!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36300

I read that as "they still can't get to the finals, much less win a championship". If that were true, then what was the point?

• Upvote 1

I read that as "they still can't get to the finals, much less win a championship". If that were true, then what was the point?

I hate when sports writers say things like "I cant see _____ happening" because that means there's likely a 0% chance in their eyes of the even happening. Should we be the favorite to come out of the east? In my opinion, no. Boston was in the finals last year and have won it all before. Boston should be favored to beat us. The thing is, being favored does not mean 100% chance to win. While the magic wont be favored to beat Boston, the new trade pushes us from 15-25% chance to win to a 40-45% chance to win. Sportswriters suck at statistics.

• Downvote 1

I hate when sports writers say things like "I cant see _____ happening" because that means there's likely a 0% chance in their eyes of the even happening. Should we be the favorite to come out of the east? In my opinion, no. Boston was in the finals last year and have won it all before. Boston should be favored to beat us. The thing is, being favored does not mean 100% chance to win. While the magic wont be favored to beat Boston, the new trade pushes us from 15-25% chance to win to a 40-45% chance to win. Sportswriters suck at statistics.

No offense, but your "chances" are completely arbitrary. At any rate, the point I was making is, if the moevs we made don't lead to a championship, then were they good moves? Ultimately, our financial situation is worsened, so the long term outlook and imapct on the team is worse, which is completely fine if we win, but if we don't?

edit: Nice work on the -1 on whomever decided that talking about the big picture in regard to our recent trades was a bad post.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

No offense, but your "chances" are completely arbitrary. At any rate, the point I was making is, if the moevs we made don't lead to a championship, then were they good moves? Ultimately, our financial situation is worsened, so the long term outlook and imapct on the team is worse, which is completely fine if we win, but if we don't?

isn't basketball in itself completely arbitrary, fortunes are gained and championships are won based on a ball going through a hoop with the same probability of a coin flip. We might win the finals if lee makes that layup. The Jazz beat Chicago if Jordan misses that jumper.

It's asinine to judge the success or failure of a team based on what could amount to the flip of a coin. We continue to remain an elite team and championship contender then I'm fine with the deal. If we screw up and dwight leaves then our franchise has failed. The competition level is more important than the outcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

isn't basketball in itself completely arbitrary, fortunes are gained and championships are won based on a ball going through a hoop with the same probability of a coin flip. We might win the finals if lee makes that layup. The Jazz beat Chicago if Jordan misses that jumper.

It's asinine to judge the success or failure of a team based on what could amount to the flip of a coin. We continue to remain an elite team and championship contender then I'm fine with the deal. If we screw up and dwight leaves then our franchise has failed. The competition level is more important than the outcome.

Sure, in the grand sense, it's all arbitrary, but in the sense that you say sports writers suck at statistics, then completely and randomly assign percentages to our chances to win, then I have to assume now you're just beings cheeky.

It is most definitely NOT asinine to judge the success or failure of a team based on their end result. It happens all the time, and seeing as how that is the ultimate goal, then to a degree, it is completely warranted. If the ultimate goal is to win a championship, and you don't win, that factors into your success (or lack there of).

Look at the Heat for example. They "sold their soul", traded for Shaq, and ultimately won a championship. That is widely viewed as a great success, and rightfully so. They made the moves and it paid off. If they didn't win with Shaq, it would have been viewed as a failure. Look at Cleveland, they stayed competitive, never won a championship, and ultimately watched LeBron walk out the door. That's an A for effort, but not much more. Sure, the racked up regular season wins, even made an appearance in the Finals (and got swept), but it's difficult to look at that team as a success. They couldn't get it done, and people will blame management for not making the right moves (and LeBron for quitting).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sure, in the grand sense, it's all arbitrary, but in the sense that you say sports writers suck at statistics, then completely and randomly assign percentages to our chances to win, then I have to assume now you're just beings cheeky. the %s were only used to make a point. Odds of us beating a team isn't 100% or 0%, its somewhere in the middle. Our team is playing better than it did prior to the trade. While the Celtics should be favored, the probability of us wining against them in a playoff series is greater than it once was.

It is most definitely NOT asinine to judge the success or failure of a team based on their end result. It happens all the time, and seeing as how that is the ultimate goal, then to a degree, it is completely warranted. If the ultimate goal is to win a championship, and you don't win, that factors into your success (or lack there of). Success is relative. Success in itself shouldn't be completely defined as winning a championship or not. Of course it's a factor of success though.

Look at the Heat for example. They "sold their soul", traded for Shaq, and ultimately won a championship. That is widely viewed as a great success, and rightfully so. They made the moves and it paid off. If they didn't win with Shaq, it would have been viewed as a failure. Look at Cleveland, they stayed competitive, never won a championship, and ultimately watched LeBron walk out the door. That's an A for effort, but not much more. Sure, the racked up regular season wins, even made an appearance in the Finals (and got swept), but it's difficult to look at that team as a success. They couldn't get it done, and people will blame management for not making the right moves (and LeBron for quitting).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The title of this thread says and I quote, "Do Magic's Deals Improve Their Team" ?

Ric Bucher responded, "They are much better than they were"....

Looks pretty on point to me.

Mr Negative....

While you're at it, keep rackin' up all those red, negative numbers, ha-ha-ha...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The title of this thread says and I quote, "Do Magic's Deals Improve Their Team" ?

Ric Bucher responded, "They are much better than they were"....

Looks pretty on point to me.

Mr Negative....

While you're at it, keep rackin' up all those red, negative numbers, ha-ha-ha...

Pot. meet kettle, but then you know all about racking up those negative numbers don't you?

It was a simple question, and not negative at all. I guess I should be used to you misinterpreting things though, shouldn't I?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

SVG also disagrees with ESPN :

Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, Gilbert Arenas and Earl Clark have fit in nicely without upsetting team chemistry or largely unsettling their own games.

J-Rich had 18 points, Turk 12 and six assists, Arenas eight points and four assists and Clark eight points.

This thing works as long as everyone, especially the just-arrived players, know their roles. And stay in them.

“I think the trades have made us better, there’s no doubt in my mind. They were good deals for us,” said coach Stan Van Gundy, who pointed out that the Magic were pretty good before the trades, going 15-4.

“I’m surprised how quickly we’ve come together offensively,” Van Gundy continued.

“The pieces fit. They’re all good players”

Here's another little nugget I'll throw out...

Orlando got balanced scoring, shut down one of the league's top offenses, and only had one player top 30 minutes on the first night of a back-to-back set. In a larger context, it's won 8 consecutive games, one shy of the franchise record. Clearly, everything is rolling right now.

GO MAGIC !!!

GET THE FRANCHISE RECORD !!!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/01/unselfish-magic-push-streak-to-8.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2Fmagic%2Fbasketblog+%28Magic+BasketBlog%29

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/1/8/1922425/orlando-magic-110-houston-rockets-95#storyjump