VCplusD12

The Official MMA Thread

Carwin was the guy that "beat" Lesnar, right? I remember somebody having a controversial fight with Lesnar, where the refs should've stopped it but didn't, and then Lesnar ended up later winning.

It's not like Lesnar won by decision. Lesnar won with a submission which means the ref was correct in not stopping the fight.

Well, if you get choked out 1 minute later it means the fight shouldn't have been stopped the round before. Lesnar still had something in him

Well it was more than a minute. It was like 3-4 minutes later (break between rounds). Enough time for a pro MMA to regain his composure.

I wouldn't call it controversial because Lesnar won but it was over a gassed Carwin.

Carwin did beat the hell out of Lesnar in the first round and if Josh Rosenthal (the ref) had more experience, he would have realized that he probably should have called the fight. But according to him, the Lesnar keep fighting back.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/0712/529927/ufc/

If the ref was Jon McCarthy (best UFC ref ever), that fight would have ended.

But you saw the result of his last fight, Lesnar got destroyed by Cain Velasquez. I agree with you though, Lesnar is done even though he's one of the more exciting fighters now.

Well it was more than a minute. It was like 3-4 minutes later (break between rounds). Enough time for a pro MMA to regain his composure.

The UFC matches are varied in length, depending if the match is for a Championship title. Regardless if a Championship is on the line or not, a round will last for five minutes. Non-Championship bouts are for three rounds; Championship bouts are for five rounds. There is a one-minute rest period between rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC

Even if you were correct, however, 3 to 4 minutes is not sufficient time to recover if a fighter is truly beaten to the point where he can't fight anymore. It's usually considered miraculous when a fighter is hurt badly in the first round of a fight and manages to recover by the 3rd round in time to rally and win. 1 minute is certainly not enough time to recover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC

Even if you were correct, however, 3 to 4 minutes is not sufficient time to recover if a fighter is truly beaten to the point where he can't fight anymore. It's usually considered miraculous when a fighter is hurt badly in the first round of a fight and manages to recover by the 3rd round in time to rally and win. 1 minute is certainly not enough time to recover.

I just wrote some number down haha...I guess I was thinking that he held on for the last 2 minutes of the first round. Then the one minute break, then the first minute or two of the second.

I just don't think he was in it, shouldve been called, but i guess we'll agree to disagree

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

Xenu watched that fight, and there was no reason in all of Teegeeack for that fight to have been stopped, ESPECIALLY given that it was a title fight.

Lesnar was still clearly trying to defend himself. That he was having little success in doing so is irrelevant. All a fighter needs to do to stay in the fight is demonstrate that they are aware and able to attempt an intelligent defense. Lesnar clearly did that, as indicated by the fact that Carwin was unable to do any real, lasting damage.

If refs were to start judging fights and stopping them whenever someone was merely unable to defend themselves SUCCESSFULLY, fights would have to be stopped immediately, and we'd miss out on great rounds of fighting.

Hell, one could easily argue that Josh Koscheck couldn't really successfully defend himself after the first two minutes of his fight with St-Pierre at UFC 124, after his eye was completely trashed and he couldn't block or avoid any right handed punch St-Pierre threw. Should that fight, which went 5 rounds, have been stopped 2 minutes in just because Koscheck couldn't defend himself, even though he was still up and about?

Xenu is reminded of the Rashard Evans/Machida fight at UFC 98. Evans was clearly out on his feet a solid minute and a half before Machida put him out for good, but the ref kept the fight going anyways. The simple reason being that no one wants to see a title change hands on a ref's stoppage if there is still a chance, even a small one, that the champ could come back and retain his title.

In Lesnar's case, he did just that.

*******END TRANSMISSION*******

23m2zdl.png

Fantasy poster I did some weeks ago, what do you think about it?

Actually the fight will be at 140 in DECEMBER

Hah, thought that was legit. I would like to see that fight actually, who else can gsp really take on in his division. Plus, diaz wont take it to 5 rounds if they stand and trade.

You're clearly wrong

Am I? He used to be in UFC, he was average at best, which is why he went to Strikeforce. Now you're talking about him fighting GS-freaking-P.