VCplusD12

The Official MMA Thread

The thing is, he does that almost every fight. Weidman is not Stephan Bonnar, Yushin Okami or Demian Maia. Anderson learned that the hard way

No, but like those guys Weidman had no chance unless Silva did something incredibly stupid. Even the folks that want to bring up Weidman's wrestling ability and his takedown in the first, he went for one in the second and got brushed away like a small child. Literally the only way for Weidman to win was for Silva to stick his chin out too far. If Silva changes his mind and takes his rematch it's a first round KO.

No, but like those guys Weidman had no chance unless Silva did something incredibly stupid. Even the folks that want to bring up Weidman's wrestling ability and his takedown in the first, he went for one in the second and got brushed away like a small child. Literally the only way for Weidman to win was for Silva to stick his chin out too far. If Silva changes his mind and takes his rematch it's a first round KO.

HAhaha we'll see

Like I mentioned before, Roy Jones used to do the same thing. And like Silva, no one could hit him. Then he got old and people started hitting him.....a lot. Maybe Silva is just slowing down. All I know is that Silva taunted him a few times before he was actually knocked out and Weidman was hitting him then too. A smart fighter would think, "hmm, I dropped my hands and he hit me. Maybe I should stop dropping my hands."

I like how Overeem kept walking straight into those high and front kicks with that nonchalant attitude of his. One would think he would've stopped doing that after Browne threw several of them, and after he got knocked out in his last fight for basically the same reason.

And I hope Chael Sonnen gets more fights against strictly standup fighters, because I don't want him to go away.

I like how Overeem kept walking straight into those high and front kicks with that nonchalant attitude of his. One would think he would've stopped doing that after Browne threw several of them, and after he got knocked out in his last fight for basically the same reason.

My thoughts exactly.

And Sonnen has the ability to beat any Middleweight and LHW, stand-up fighters or not

I like Sonnen and hate Overeem an equal amount. Sonnen's interview at the end of the fight was awesome.

I'm ok with the idea that a champion is much more likely to win a judges' scoring in a close fight with no clear winner, but any person whose job is "UFC judge" who watched the Jones/Gustafsson fight and thinks Jon Jones won two of the first three rounds of that fight shouldn't be allowed to judge UFC fights anymore.

I'm ok with the idea that a champion is much more likely to win a judges' scoring in a close fight with no clear winner, but any person whose job is "UFC judge" who watched the Jones/Gustafsson fight and thinks Jon Jones won two of the first three rounds of that fight shouldn't be allowed to judge UFC fights anymore.

Correct. That 49-46 was pretty outrageous.

Jon won the 4th and 5th rounds decisively though, and probably the 2nd, so I'm cool with his victory.

I had it 48-47 Gustafsson, but I could have gone either way on the second round: Jones landed a few "better" strikes, but Gustafsson landed good strikes and a LOT more of them, which basically makes round 2 the same as round 4, minus the spinning elbow to knock Gustafsson loopy.

After the fourth round, the guys I was with and I had a fun conversation about how you possibly score that round. Jones landed that ridiculous elbow, and a few decent shots after it as he tried to finish Gustafsson, who clearly didn't know where he was at that point, but the first 4:15 of that round was Gustafsson repeatedly punching Jones in the face, with Jones being utterly unable to stop him from doing so. Gustafsson must have landed 25+ shots that round, versus Jones who might have landed 8 to 10, but Jones got the one really big one. If anything, I think it's an interesting study in recency bias.

Oh well, it'll make for an interesting sequel fight, and I'm sure Dana White's eyes had turned into cartoon dollar signs by the time the fight was ending.