Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

O'Neal: 'I Killed Off All The Centers'

"I think I killed off all the centers and now all the centers want to play the European-style basketball," (Shaquille) O'Neal said before watching the Celtics beat the Knicks 104-101 in Stoudemire's Garden debut. "There's only 1.5 or 2 real centers left, Dwight Howard and Yao Ming. Every now and then Yao Ming steps outside and wants to shoot jumpers, but it's gone more toward the European style. The days of Patrick Ewing and Rik Smits and Kevin Duckworth and Robert Parish, those days are over, thanks to me."

Someone asked if a center can still be a difference-maker in today's NBA, and Shaq said, "No. Not shooting jumpers."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20101015#STORY_28633#ixzz12RHO2KeF

He does have a point, because outside of D-12, there aren't many center left. Everybody else is moving toward the European-style centers.

At least he now accepts Dwight as a real center. Like the only full real center with Yao being a half sometimes..lol

Still he didn't count himself, maybe he knows he's not a real center anymore

So, let me get this straight. According to Shaq, Dwight is now the only complete center in the league capable of making a real difference on an NBA team? Just so we get the message straight.

It's true, but remember Shaq couldn't buy a jump shot.

He was a forced under the basket and he was unstoppable, but if he had a jump shot, he would have been the best center of all time with no questions about it.

Is it just me thinking ever since Dwight went on Shaq's show this past summer, Shaq has been on Dwights D***.

I think he is trying to get Dwight to stop working on the jumper with that comment. He knows that would make him the best so he is trying to call him the only true one left to try to get Dwight stagnant.

this.

Dwight appearing on Shaq's show was more than just an TV appearance.

You really think so? I haven't seen anything from Shaq that makes me think he is interested in mentoring anyone.

You really think so? I haven't seen anything from Shaq that makes me think he is interested in mentoring anyone.

Exactly. Shaq puts it out there that he's the biggest and baddest and all centers are beneath him. What would it look like if it was known he spent a few training sessions with Dwight? And while he's still playing in the league too? That's why its a secret. Factor in Shaq still has some affection for the Magic organization, Shaq has been noticeably more complimentary of Dwight and his skills, and Dwight was invited to be on Shaq's tv show? All this leads me to believe Shaq might've been that secret "hall of famer" to teach Dwight a few things this summer.