Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

My point was that just because something was written 2000+ years ago doesn't mean it lacks relevance today.

The ten commandments are still relevant. There are plenty of laws that aren't relevant any longer. I think stoning disobedient children has outlived its usefulness.

The ten commandments are still relevant. There are plenty of laws that aren't relevant any longer. I think stoning disobedient children has outlived its usefulness.

What are your thoughts on Sharia Law?

What are your thoughts on Sharia Law?

Any society that relies on religious scholars to enforce laws is bordering on madness. Why?

YOu gave the answer I was expecting, however there are many who argue that Muslims should be allowed to practice and live by laws of their beliefs, even when they contradict with the laws of the nation they reside in.

For example, a Muslim woman who cheats on her husband may be honor killed in Britain because it is legal to do so under Sharia Law, even though the Laws of the UK explicitly forbid murder in any form. Not saying this is true, but this is an example.

Another future example coming up is that Muslims are not allowed to purchase insurance under Sharia Law, yet starting soon, all American citizens must have health insurance or be forced to pay a fine. Will Muslims (as well as SDA's, and other groups who share the same view) be forced to buy that insurance or will they be able to claim it is against their religion/Sharia law?

YOu gave the answer I was expecting, however there are many who argue that Muslims should be allowed to practice and live by laws of their beliefs, even when they contradict with the laws of the nation they reside in.

For example, a Muslim woman who cheats on her husband may be honor killed in Britain because it is legal to do so under Sharia Law, even though the Laws of the UK explicitly forbid murder in any form. Not saying this is true, but this is an example.

Another future example coming up is that Muslims are not allowed to purchase insurance under Sharia Law, yet starting soon, all American citizens must have health insurance or be forced to pay a fine. Will Muslims (as well as SDA's, and other groups who share the same view) be forced to buy that insurance or will they be able to claim it is against their religion/Sharia law?

This is why I'm against legislating out of religion specifically in the United States. The generalized laws regarding what you should and should not do, cleanliness laws, etc are somewhat applicable to any civilized society. Many punishment laws and some of the more nuanced laws (in really any religion, not just islam) are ridiculous.

I have a Bible App on my phone, and I try to read a chapter a day. I'm currently reading Acts and I have to say, it really is one of the best books in the New Testament.

To those of you who think a 2000 year old book isn't a good script to follow to live, lets take the 10 Commandments. If you take out the first four (dealing with specific Abrahamic religion), do you have a problem with the last six? I believe the Ten Commandments to be a very good life tool and one that translates across all cultures and time.

I actually intalled one on my phone since last year, just to make sure I don't try to escape my daily devotion. haha

This is why I'm against legislating out of religion specifically in the United States. The generalized laws regarding what you should and should not do, cleanliness laws, etc are somewhat applicable to any civilized society. Many punishment laws and some of the more nuanced laws (in really any religion, not just islam) are ridiculous.

I agree. Once you start trying to legislate morality, its a slippery slope that eventually leads to Colonial/Puritanic America, Hindu Caste Systems, Feudal Europe, or current Islamic Theocracies. All of which are unacceptable forms of government in our world today.

I agree. Once you start trying to legislate morality, its a slippery slope that eventually leads to Colonial/Puritanic America, Hindu Caste Systems, Feudal Europe, or current Islamic Theocracies. All of which are unacceptable forms of government in our world today.

Thats the only issue i really have with religion today. There is a huge group in the United States that believes that since the founding fathers had a significant base of the constitution set up with The Bible in mind, present day issues must be fixed by religious means. See the school system in Texas.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/09/07/general-as-afghanistan_7906161.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

I don't want to offend anyone in this thread but this story is another example why I can only hope that religion goes the way of the dodo bird. Almost every religion has a post apocalyptic story and the scary part is that everyone that believes the story can't wait for it to happen. A self fulfilling prophecy seems almost inevitable.