Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

I'm not really religious. I do believe in God, Jesus, etc., but I'm not a huge fan of organized religion. I grew up Catholic, but I'm not a big fan of it. I just don't like a bunch of people shoving their beliefs down your throat. I guess religion shouldn't really be forced on anyone.

I've lived for the past 4 years in a small town in the Bible Belt. Like more churches than restaurants type of town. And all I heard was "oh you should go to my church" every day. That's what turns me off of going to church.

Also, I guess I just like asking why. That's another reason I could never be very religious. I never accepted "because God said so" as a legitimate response for things.

And...I'm off my soap box

I'm a SDA(Seventh-Day-Advenist) Which means I'm a christian and believe that Saturday is the day god made for us to rest. I was baptized when I was a kid but I now regret it because I only did it because my friends were doing it. I haven't been to chruch in months because I feel everyone in my chruch is a bunch of hypocrites and wears a fake mask for christ. I know God will come back one day and take us all home to heaven, but I'm also fear sometimes I won't be going for I don't believe I'm not good enough.

My husband is a strong fundmental christian. He just got me to convert. Even though it is not a popular belief, my religion goes with the Bible and my religion teaches that men are ahead of women and women must be respectful to man at all times. It is a good life for me. I able to stay at home with my 2 small children and take care of the home. For me, it is better than dealing with the harsh reality of working outside of the home.

If it's not too sensitive a subject, I'm really interested to hear details of this.

I hope I'm not too late on this. haha I haven't been active since my retirement as mod.

I don't mind telling it, I think my story would further prove how mighty He is.

Anyway, so one of our help, whom I'll call help number 4, actually lived in a very rural area, before we hired her. We actually talked with one of 4's relatives and we were told that the family of that #4 actually do practice withchcraft and among other sorcery.

So dating back to that year, I think it was 1997, we had 4 of our help, go to one of famous shopping centers near our subdivision (about 5-10 minutes from our house via commute). As it was holding a midnight sale, and they were selling all kinds of stuff, ranging from accessories to fake jerseys, etc.

When they were about to go home (around 12AM), help #4 apparently saw a woman, a woman she always see in one of her dreams. At about 3AM, #4 woke up another of our help, told her "wake up, they are about to pick me up". Having no idea with what #4 meant, she ignored #4. Then, it started. #4 got strong, eyes turned white, it was just crazy how they described it. #4's voice even changed. #4 woke up, the help #4 woke up was luckily strong enough to be able to grab a hold of her and was able to control the situation with the other helps placing a cross to #4 body. #4 was weakened right away.

Fast forward the next day, Monday, I was about to go to school and the other maids told us what happened. I was actually enrolled in an Evangelical school then. So my mom brought #4 and the other maids to our school and talk with the Pastors there etc. THe pastors told my mom what to do, etc.

So the following day, Tuesday, it was raining with thunderstorms etc, my dad was being playful. He was teasing #4. He told #4 to tell those who were picking #4 up to bring her to a classier mall and ride a nice car, and not just a taxi. That was after we ate dinner, btw. So my dad got up to his room, my siblings and I were followed with another help (luckily not #4) coz we got scared to go to our room alone. Our 3 other help were eating dinner and #4 told the 2 that she doesn't have the appetite because she was about to be picked up. Next thing they know, she got possessed again. This time, she wanted to suffocate one of the 2 helps eating with her. THey quickly ran to our room. Our house is a mixed wood and concrete structures so the footsteps are actually heard, so my dad noticed the loud thud of the footsteps, he knew something was wrong. He went down and saw #4 got demon possessed. The help who was with us was again able to control the situation but this time my dad was able to help grab #4 and my mom was telling #4 what the church told her to say. IIRC, it was along the lines of "In the name of Jesus Christ, I rebuke you to get out of her body.." after a repeat of several times, #4 was back in conscious. But she was weak. Funny thing happened next, my brother and I were hiding in the bathroom, and one of my dad's golf sets was placed there. Me and brother opened the bag and took 2 golf clubs and we were about to beat the hell out of #4. haha

We let go of #4, a day later. THe following weeks got scary though. Our house actually played Christian songs loudly to drive them away. Our dog would often howl at night and even during the afternoon, after a while when the tape was played out. I would go down and rewind the tapes and play it loudly again. It was crazy. When I play it, in less then 5 minutes, our dog would stop howling again. Add to that the occasional blackouts every time it was raining outside our house. In the whole subdivision, we would be the only one experiencing a blackout in electricity. We never got the wire fixed to this day, but we would not experience blackouts when it rains anymore.

I was one that felt I did not have to go to church to have a relationship with God. I was wrong. To become closer to God and understand him you need to read the bible and go to church to congregate.

If you give your heart to Jesus, the holy spirit will enter you. I do warn you.... the closer you get to Jesus, the stronger the temptations will become. The holy spirit will help you control these temptations.

Read the bible and go to church, you will see what I'm talking about.

I have a Bible App on my phone, and I try to read a chapter a day. I'm currently reading Acts and I have to say, it really is one of the best books in the New Testament.

To those of you who think a 2000 year old book isn't a good script to follow to live, lets take the 10 Commandments. If you take out the first four (dealing with specific Abrahamic religion), do you have a problem with the last six? I believe the Ten Commandments to be a very good life tool and one that translates across all cultures and time.

First I'm 32 years old and I've seen quite a bit and have gone through quite a bit as well. I've done some good things and some things that I regret. Throughout my life I have grown up in a good family that always preached about God and Jesus even though going to church wasn't our weekly ritual. We'd go at times but not as much as the average christian family would.

Growing up, life has thrown me so many curve balls and while dealing with that, I witnessed things and wondered "why does God let that happen if there is one". I never disbelieved just questioned. I always sensed him and saw things that just made me believe theres definitely a higher power. I would always propel myself to certain churches when I needed somewhere to go and there seemed to be one just when I needed it. Sure at times, I thought "what if there is no God" but it never made sense to me. Life doesn't JUST happen. Death just doesn't happen.

I remember looking at one of those stick insects and learning how its defensive mechanism is acting and looking like a twig. I'd ask myself "how in the heck is that coincendence? The bug didn't just make love to a tree and wala". As I became a young adult, I was lost. I was well onto the path of either jail or death. I still prayed and at times my prayers were answered with so much evidence of Christ that it will blow your mind and the people who I tell these experiences too just think "wow. God is good indeed".

Back to me being lost. One of my prayers were answered was my wife and kids. Sure, some will say, will anyone can find a girl, settle down and have kids but my wife and kids SAVED me and it was through God (who takes the credit for actually saving me) and prayers. My wife and kids were exactly the type of personalities I need to keep me strong and focused and helped me become a better man. That isn't because of coincendence.

I don't go to church every weekend, but we try. Every time I go, I hear our priest talk and he says things that I need to hear. Not what I want. I'm Catholic and I don't necessarily believe every little thing thats Catholicism but I like the sincereness and most importantly, I like our priest and his wisdom. I have been to "non-denomations" and I'm sure they have good ones but the ones I been too go from being a rock concert (which is good in a different way) to blasting other sects which to me is nonsense and pointless. There shouldn't be negative in ANYTHING Christ no matter what sect you are in. Do I think religion has it bad points? No just people who choose poorly. Its like a pen or a gun. Both are tools but both can be used in negative fashions. You can take a pen and write things that bring negativity to your life or to someone elses. You can use it to bring good into your life. You can use a gun just to defend yourself. Or you can use a gun to kill and rob. Religion is a tool that people who are uneducated and or have their own agenda, use it to excel that. Unfortunately this world isn't blessed with every person who chooses to do right. Religion can be a good tool if used right.

For people like me, I need it. The bible? Yeah some say "I don't need a book to tell me who to live" well congrats that you have always chosen wisely. For people like myself who are smart but haven't chosen wisely, its another tool that shows us why we chose wisely and why its good not too. I advise people who haven't read it to do so. The bible is one of the most intelligent, educated books to ever read. Even when you think you got it all together, you still can find things in there that can give you what you need rather its strength, wisdom, guideness, etc. And if you do read it, read it as an WHOLE. So many people pick and choose things from like the Old Testament but forget about the New Testament.

In my life, I am learning that in order to be a better man as I grow old...To be wiser for my kids...To be a better husband...I must grow through the curve balls in life. I must persevere. I've learned thats why things happened and why things will continue to happen. I may not always have the patience but when I pray, or read the Bible, or go to church I find some hidden meaning that wasn't there when the crap hit the fan or found newfound strength that I didn't stop and apply.

• Upvote 1

First I'm 32 years old and I've seen quite a bit and have gone through quite a bit as well. I've done some good things and some things that I regret. Throughout my life I have grown up in a good family that always preached about God and Jesus even though going to church wasn't our weekly ritual. We'd go at times but not as much as the average christian family would.

Growing up, life has thrown me so many curve balls and while dealing with that, I witnessed things and wondered "why does God let that happen if there is one". I never disbelieved just questioned. I always sensed him and saw things that just made me believe theres definitely a higher power. I would always propel myself to certain churches when I needed somewhere to go and there seemed to be one just when I needed it. Sure at times, I thought "what if there is no God" but it never made sense to me. Life doesn't JUST happen. Death just doesn't happen.

As a young kid I remember looking at one of those stick insects and learning how its defensive mechanism is acting and looking like a twig. I'd ask myself "how in the heck is that coincendence? The bug didn't just make love to a tree and wala".

As I became a young adult, I became lost. I was well onto the path of either jail or death. I saw the evil that turn man away from good. I still prayed and at times my prayers were answered with so much evidence of Christ that it will blow your mind and the people who I tell these experiences too just think "wow. God is good indeed". I was still lost though but with a sense of wanting to find myself. Not career wise but soul wise.

One of my prayers were answered was my wife and kids. Sure, some will say, will anyone can find a girl, settle down and have kids but my wife and kids SAVED me and it was through God (who takes the credit for actually saving me) and prayers. My wife and kids were exactly the type of personalities I need to keep me strong and focused and helped me become a better man and they came at a crucial time for me. I was on that verge of going to a place that no man should go. That isn't because of coincendence. No one can control time+place+people=SAVED.

I don't go to church every weekend, but we try to. Every time I go, I hear our priest talk and he says things that I need to hear. Not what I want. I'm Catholic and I don't necessarily believe every little thing thats Catholicism but I like the sincereness and most importantly, I like our priest and his wisdom. I have been to "non-denomations" and I'm sure they have good ones but the ones I been to go from being a rock concert (which is good in a different way) to blasting other sects which to me is nonsense and pointless. There should be no negative in ANYTHING related to Christ no matter what sect you are in. Do I think religion has it bad points? No just people who choose poorly. Its like a pen or a gun. Both are tools but both can be used in negative fashions thanks to people. You can take a pen and write things that bring negativity to your life or to someone elses. You can use it to bring good into your life. You can use a gun just to defend yourself. Or you can use a gun to kill and rob. Religion is a tool that people who are uneducated and or have their own agenda, use it to excel that. Unfortunately this world isn't blessed with every person who chooses to do right. Religion can be a good tool if used right.

For people like me, I need it. The bible? Yeah some say "I don't need a book to tell me who to live" well congrats that you have always chosen wisely. For people like myself who are smart but haven't chosen wisely, its another tool that shows us why we chose wisely and why we don't as well as many, many other things. I advise people who haven't read it to do so. The bible is one of the most intelligent, educated books to ever read. Even when you think you got it all together, you still can find things in there that can give you what you need rather its strength, wisdom, guideness, etc. And if you do read it, read it as an WHOLE. So many people pick and choose things from like the Old Testament but forget about the New Testament.

In my life, I am learning that in order to be a better man as I grow old...To be wiser for my kids...To be a better husband...I must grow through the curve balls in life. I must persevere. I've learned thats why things happened and why things will continue to happen. I may not always have the patience but when I pray, or read the Bible, or go to church I find some hidden meaning that wasn't there when the crap hit the fan or found newfound strength that I didn't stop and apply.

I have a Bible App on my phone, and I try to read a chapter a day. I'm currently reading Acts and I have to say, it really is one of the best books in the New Testament.

To those of you who think a 2000 year old book isn't a good script to follow to live, lets take the 10 Commandments. If you take out the first four (dealing with specific Abrahamic religion), do you have a problem with the last six? I believe the Ten Commandments to be a very good life tool and one that translates across all cultures and time.

Do you think that is a coincidence? People need certain rules to abide by in order for a society to function. Ancient leaders couldn't have their populace roaming around murdering and stealing. Using an unseen entity to frighten people into obeying just makes sense if the populace will believe it.

Do you think that is a coincidence? People need certain rules to abide by in order for a society to function. Ancient leaders couldn't have their populace roaming around murdering and stealing. Using an unseen entity to frighten people into obeying just makes sense if the populace will believe it.

My point was that just because something was written 2000+ years ago doesn't mean it lacks relevance today.

I remember looking at one of those stick insects and learning how its defensive mechanism is acting and looking like a twig. I'd ask myself "how in the heck is that coincendence? The bug didn't just make love to a tree and wala". As I became a young adult, I was lost. I was well onto the path of either jail or death. I still prayed and at times my prayers were answered with so much evidence of Christ that it will blow your mind and the people who I tell these experiences too just think "wow. God is good indeed".

One of my prayers were answered was my wife and kids. Sure, some will say, will anyone can find a girl, settle down and have kids but my wife and kids SAVED me and it was through God (who takes the credit for actually saving me) and prayers. My wife and kids were exactly the type of personalities I need to keep me strong and focused and helped me become a better man and they came at a crucial time for me. I was on that verge of going to a place that no man should go. That isn't because of coincendence. No one can control time+place+people=SAVED.

I don't go to church every weekend, but we try. Every time I go, I hear our priest talk and he says things that I need to hear. Not what I want. I'm Catholic and I don't necessarily believe every little thing thats Catholicism but I like the sincereness and most importantly, I like our priest and his wisdom. I have been to "non-denomations" and I'm sure they have good ones but the ones I been to go from being a rock concert (which is good in a different way) to blasting other sects which to me is nonsense and pointless. There shouldn't be negative in ANYTHING Christ no matter what sect you are in. Do I think religion has it bad points? No just people who choose poorly. Its like a pen or a gun. Both are tools but both can be used in negative fashions. You can take a pen and write things that bring negativity to your life or to someone elses. You can use it to bring good into your life. You can use a gun just to defend yourself. Or you can use a gun to kill and rob. Religion is a tool that people who are uneducated and or have their own agenda, use it to excel that. Unfortunately this world isn't blessed with every person who chooses to do right. Religion can be a good tool if used right.

For people like me, I need it. The bible? Yeah some say "I don't need a book to tell me who to live" well congrats that you have always chosen wisely. For people like myself who are smart but haven't chosen wisely, its another tool that shows us why we chose wisely and why its good not too. I advise people who haven't read it to do so. The bible is one of the most intelligent, educated books to ever read. Even when you think you got it all together, you still can find things in there that can give you what you need rather its strength, wisdom, guideness, etc. And if you do read it, read it as an WHOLE. So many people pick and choose things from like the Old Testament but forget about the New Testament.