Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

I think since we have such a wide variety of topics on the "off-topic" section of this forum, I think this one should be brought up.

I realize that this can be a very sensitive matter for some people and cause a lot of heated discussions. However, if people can go about discussing this rationally and calmly, I think it could be a great way for people to learn about other religions/practices/ideologies in a safe environment. Also, if people share the same belief then that could be a source for people to ask each other questions if they had any.

So, like I said, I think this could be a very interesting and informative topic if people want it to be.

I guess since I started the topic, I should start it all off. I'm a Christian who currently attends a "non-denominational church" that leans slightly toward the Baptist way. I grew up a Southern Baptist, but I don't agree with the judgmental/hypocritical manner in which most "old time southern baptist" churches conduct themselves. So anyways, thats me and I'm open to discussing anything.

Anyone else?

I'm not religious, although I come from a very religious family. I have lots of doubts, some things that happen in life make you want to believe in a more powerful identity but some other things just do the complete opposite.

I think that men invented religion to manipulate other men but that doesn't discredit the possibility of a stronger identity existing.

As I said, I have lots of doubts so I just enjoy my life while death doesn't come. When it comes, I'll deal with it.

Sorry for my strong words

My husband and I are Christians ..

My husband and I live the Baptist life...

I guess you might say we live the more modern Baptist life... thumbs-up10.gif

I'm Christian too and I attend an Evangelical church. Got baptized March 3, 2008. Came to know Christ since I was a kid. Experienced a near death experience when I was 8. I was hospitalized for a month. Prayed really hard during that time, my prayers were answered. Voila! I'm still alive. From then on, I realized that there really is a God.

Before that, our family experienced life-changing experiences, mom and sister got sick and hospitalized, and one of our help got demon possessed.

I think when you get closer to God, especially when you're just getting to know Him for the first time, your faith get tested to see if you really believe in Him.

I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I grew up a Christian in a fairly religious household, was baptized, and usually went to attend Mass every Sunday. After my freshman year in HS, I grew away from Christianity, and many other religions. I won't go into it now, but there are flaws within the faith that I had grown to notice and began to question; Many discrepancies and down right ugly facts...how can I believe in a religion that I can't even trust to be fundamentally true. I am, at the moment, agnostic -- I don't fall under any particular religious sect and I am trying to search for a belief that I can confide in 100%.

I'm a Christian, non-denominational.

I'm of the belief that Christianity is more of a relationship with Christ as opposed to showing up to Church every Sunday. I believe with all my heart that God came to Earth and died so that my sins would be forgiven.

I have a fundamentally opposing view of Catholicism, Lutheranism, and Presbyterianism.

I've read the Talmud, and the Koran and I have a firm grasp on their tenets and beliefs.

I don't believe in fairy tales and I don't think a 2,000 year old book can do a better job of telling me how to live my life than I can.

I'd like to add to what I said yesterday. I came off as a grumpy jerk, because yesterday I was a grumpy jerk. I don't look down on people for believing what they do. I understand why they want to believe in such things as an afterlife and a higher power. The idea that we have a purpose and a destination to a better place is very comforting to a lot of people.

there was once a time in my life where i would debate religious people for days. Not really there anymore.

Im not religious. I dont believe in any afterlife/reward/higher power. I'm pretty much a secular humanist

I was raised a catholic and so did my entire family. I only go to church when someone gets baptized, first communion or married. I don't believe in church and the people that work for it, but I got my 2 year old baptized and so will my new born...go figure! Maybe I'm just making my wife happy.

I do believe there is a God though and I pray every now and then, but I don't need to go to church to talk to him. Some people say God is the best invention mankind has created!

I'm an atheist, and I believe that what people choose to do to enrich their lives is no one's business but theirs.

That said, I find the lack of self awareness displayed by members of some religions when they choose to denounce religions they disagree with to be utterly flabbergasting.

• Upvote 1

Interesting responses from everyone. So far so good on remaining very respectful of other people's beliefs.

I'll say this, I am open to any and all questions. I'm not saying that I have the answers, but I am currently studying to be a youth pastor and so I guess I would have a little bit more of a well to draw from in answering questions than most people would.

What I believe is simple. I believe that Jesus Christ came to earth to establish a connection between God and man. He lived a perfect life and was crucified for the wrong doing's of the entire world. 3 days later he was raised to life and now sits in heaven awaiting his return to establish his second kingdom.

I understand where a lot of people's skepticism comes from when it comes to religion. People have a hard time believing in something they cannot see. People have a hard time trusting a God when there is pain in the world. People have a hard time fellowshiping in a church where there are hypocritical judgmental and sinful people who claim to be the leaders (ex - Catholic Priests and choir boys). However, I know for a fact that everyone makes mistakes and so it isn't up to me to judge anyone and I would ask to not be judged in return.

I just leave all that up to God and try to love on everyone that I meet because the greatest commandment is this: love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength and the second is like it love your neighbor as yourself. (roughly summarized from Matthew 22:36-38)

• Upvote 1