Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Funny Travis Diener Story - I think(lol)

When I first read this I thought, that's funny. Then after reading it again I thought poor guy, he's played so little and hardly had a chance I started feeling sorry for him. Anyway, you decide:

quote:
When nobody knows your name

When you don't play much, people can forget who you are. Just ask Travis Diener, the Magic's second-year guard who was on the inactive list and dressed in street clothes on the bench. During the second quarter, when Hedo Turkoglu got smacked in his eye, left the game and went into the locker room, Diener tried to follow him. The security staff outside the Magic locker room didn't recognize him and asked for identification, which he didn't have. A few moments later, a Magic staffer came to the rescue.

I figured nobody would want to talk about last night's game so I tried to find something else to discuss.

When I first read this I thought, that's funny. Then after reading it again I thought poor guy, he's played so little and hardly had a chance I started feeling sorry for him. Anyway, you decide:

quote:

When you don't play much, people can forget who you are. Just ask Travis Diener, the Magic's second-year guard who was on the inactive list and dressed in street clothes on the bench. During the second quarter, when Hedo Turkoglu got smacked in his eye, left the game and went into the locker room, Diener tried to follow him. The security staff outside the Magic locker room didn't recognize him and asked for identification, which he didn't have. A few moments later, a Magic staffer came to the rescue.

I figured nobody would want to talk about last night's game so I tried to find something else to discuss.

quote:

man, I hope that doesn't hurt our chances on having him back next year.

Ouch, you would think that security would be required to know who is and is not a player when the guard the locker room door.

Sad, not funny. Worst part is that Diener shouldn't have been in street clothes at all; he should have been in the game, with Redick, and maybe we would have gotten a tiny bit of offense. Maybe the younger guys would have brought some energy. Maybe we would have even gotten a few assists from the PG position. Instead we have line-ups in the game with no shooters when we're down by 20. Has our team ever looked more sluggish??

Brian Hill: the "no-adjustment" coach.

quote:
Originally posted by JJZ:

Sad, not funny. Worst part is that Diener shouldn't have been in street clothes at all; he should have been in the game, with Redick, and maybe we would have gotten a tiny bit of offense. Maybe the younger guys would have brought some energy. Maybe we would have even gotten a few assists from the PG position. Instead we have line-ups in the game with no shooters when we're down by 20. Has our team ever looked more sluggish??

Brian Hill: the "no-adjustment" coach.

I could not agree with you more. This is so repetitious but they need to go that different route & develop these young players more on our team. I'n not talking tank but if they keep putting performance like they did on Thursday, something needs to change I wonder when a team like maybe Milwaukee would go past us in the standings, do you think maybe Travis will be off the IR & getting some playing time?

That's a funny and embarrassing story BJ. I don't think it will hurt our chances to retain Diener's services because he is gone after this year regardless. I wonder if I will look back on this situation as another potential Magic "what if" scenario.