Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NCAA Football 2010 Season Thread

So we stole Wilder from UF. Probably the biggest/most important recruit in the last 10 years.

It's tough to say that until after we see how he performs in college. We also have to worry about keeping him committed to FSU. He has a whole year to change his mind.

It's tough to say that until after we see how he performs in college. We also have to worry about keeping him committed to FSU. He has a whole year to change his mind.

he's important for recruiting. Yahoo had his FSU commitment on the front page of the website, not the sports page. Tony Steward, among other ESPN 150 players, might view Wilder going to FSU as the reason to put FSU above their other schools. He could never play a down in college football but you cant discount the immediate impact of grabbing the football player with arguably the most online exposure in the history of college football recruiting.

You're right about keeping his commitment though. Most recruiting experts say he's solid, but that generally only applies as long as FSU has a decent season or better (8-4 should be good enough to keep him).

Dude could be the second coming of Eddie George though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2pbac6Znk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv74eCE5irg&NR=1

I wasn't trying to discount his importance. Anytime the program can land a top 3 prospect, it's very important to future recruiting. I'm just not ready to say he's maybe the most important recruit in the last 10 years. It's pretty hard to argue that he's more important than when Florida got Tebow to commit, or Oklahoma got Bradford etc. Of course, this commitment could get bigger if Wilder comes to FSU and lives up to expectations.

I wasn't trying to discount his importance. Anytime the program can land a top 3 prospect, it's very important to future recruiting. I'm just not ready to say he's maybe the most important recruit in the last 10 years. It's pretty hard to argue that he's more important than when Florida got Tebow to commit, or Oklahoma got Bradford etc. Of course, this commitment could get bigger if Wilder comes to FSU and lives up to expectations.

sorry, i meant our most important commit. Should have clarified better.

Nobody other than a QB could have the PR effect that Tebow had, but Wilder might end up having the football impact that Tebow did (as far as reestablishing the FSU brand) since his tenure will coincide with FSU's upswing.

An interesting idea- With FSU gaining significant ground on UF in these last two recruiting cycles, though it wont effect UF's ability to get a good deal of their players, what is this going to do to Miami? Miami's recruiting classes (comparable to FSU's 2004-2007 classes) are bolstered by players who wont qualify/will transfer/will get kicked off the team. Their National Signing Day results are astronomically different than actual enrolled players from their class one or two years later. Since the state of Florida football is historically comprised of one program at the peak of the country, one program close behind (or two programs half-assing it like the last 6 years), and the other program at a low point, is Miami going to be entering a down period?

You also have to consider UCF, USF, and to an extremely lesser degree FIU (due to proximity to UM) as programs that are slowly establishing recruiting bases in south florida. While none of those programs have ever really been a threat to steal a player that the major programs have their entire interest on, USF and UCF (this past year) have started to grab at some of the "diamonds in the rough" that generally comprise the depth at some of these major programs (especially in the case of Miami).

At this point, what Wilder accomplishes at Florida State – or doesn’t accomplish – is irrelevant. He could become the player in college that many expect he will be – the kind that a head coach builds his program around, the kind who leaves school with a trophy case full of awards and honors. Or he could not become that kind of player. Who knows.

That doesn’t matter now. What does matter is this: Florida State and its first-year coach just secured a commitment from perhaps the most recognizable high school football player in the country. And, because of that, Florida State and Fisher will be the benefactors of any number of positive intangibles.

Wilder’s commitment is a national story. It was broadcast live by the local cable company. News outlets from around the state – and the nation – sent reporters to Plant High in Tampa to cover the announcement. It wasn’t just a recruiting story. And it wasn’t just a sports story. It was a news story: The most famous high school football player in the nation deciding where to go to college.

Florida State fans shouldn’t get ahead of themselves. They understand better than anyone that prized recruits don’t always turn into great college players. Or even good ones. And yes, Wilder’s commitment is exciting to fans because it’s exciting to think of what he might do in college.

What’s more important, though, is what Wilder has already done for the Florida State football program. Fisher has long been known as a good recruiter. The classes he has helped assemble at Florida State have all been highly ranked. Fisher and his staff did an especially admirable job on the recruiting trail to construct the incoming freshmen class of 2010. So it’s not like Fisher hasn’t earned commitments from great high school players.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2010/08/the-james-wilder-jr-commitment-what-it-means-for-florida-state-and-jimbo-fisher.html

I haven't been following this class that much yet, but from what i have seen I think you're exaggerating this Wilder's importance a little bit. I can see why you'd be excited as a Nole, it's a big pull, but I dont think he's the national figurehead you paint him as. He's a great athlete, but I dont like him as a RB(which you guys most likely promised he could be to get him). He needs to be on defense, but he seems like hes adamant on being a RB...

We'll see what you guys do with him tho. Definitely the biggest recruit yall have probably got in a minute, so we'll see... It takes a WAVE of talent along with elevated coaching to really make a true turnaround imo, but the potential is there for FSU. I dont know if one recruit turns a program around, but we'll just have to wait n see... I like what Jimbo is doing on recruiting for them so far.

I haven't been following this class that much yet, but from what i have seen I think you're exaggerating this Wilder's importance a little bit. I can see why you'd be excited as a Nole, it's a big pull, but I dont think he's the national figurehead you paint him as. He's a great athlete, but I dont like him as a RB(which you guys most likely promised he could be to get him). He needs to be on defense, but he seems like hes adamant on being a RB...

We'll see what you guys do with him tho. Definitely the biggest recruit yall have probably got in a minute, so we'll see... It takes a WAVE of talent along with elevated coaching to really make a true turnaround imo, but the potential is there for FSU. I dont know if one recruit turns a program around, but we'll just have to wait n see... I like what Jimbo is doing on recruiting for them so far.

nope, he's already making huge impact as a poster boy. Im not sure he's going to be a surefire elite player but you can't discount the impact his notoriety has for our recruiting.

But it is even bigger than that. Aside from Jimmy Clausen, Wilder is arguably the most famous recruit ever. His highlights aren't just watched by recruiting nerds but by people in other countries. Wilder's college choice didn't just make the front page of Yahoo! Sports; it ran as the top story on Yahoo!'s main site (see photo at left). He is universally respected by the other stud players in the country. But for all his notoriety as a player, Wilder has even greater value for what he represents: a recapitalization of credibility for a 'Noles program that is without a winning record in its own conference over the last four years. Wilder represents instant respect for the future of the program. This is a player that nobody thought FSU could land just five months ago. Yet FSU pulled a kid who never saw Warrick Dunn in Garnet and Gold and who probably doesn't remember FSU's last national title. Wilder's commitment served notice to Florida that FSU intends to compete at the highest level. It's notice to the ACC that FSU is again getting players that no other ACC team can hope to land. It's simply a major announcement.

We told him we'd give him a shot at RB but if he can't produce we'll move him to linebacker.

nope, he's already making huge impact as a poster boy. Im not sure he's going to be a surefire elite player but you can't discount the impact his notoriety has for our recruiting.

We told him we'd give him a shot at RB but if he can't produce we'll move him to linebacker.

I think whoever wrote that is either a Nole fan or is on drugs lol.... I been casually following recruiting for the past 6,7, maybe 8 years, and idk how this kid comes off as the 2nd most famous or most hyped ever. He's a beast for sure, but I dont see what seperates him from any other top prospects in a typical year...

It might just be the way I evaluate or something but ive seen way too many kids with AT LEAST equal hype as him, if not more hype, in just the state of florida to buy this. Maybe im not in tune with what the general public is thinking, but this sounds like an exaggeration. What makes him any more hyped or famous than Noel Devine or CJ Spiller was?? Or if you wanna compare to another LB, what makes him more famous than Kieth Rivers was...? Those guys were huge. Maybe im just a football junkie so I knew about these guys when the general public wouldn't, but those guys were getting hella hyped on the prep level. Maybe the internet is bigger now and has this kid exposed more abroad or something, but this 'most famous ever' title is funny to me haha... I dont kno who came w/ that up with that other than a Nole, lol.

I usually dont follow recruiting over the summer so maybe he picked up some buzz, but if you were to ask me, this kid was definitely not as hyped as those other 3 just in this state. At least not in my personal opinion. That's w/o me mentioning Tebow, but QB's always get extra attention so I wont include him... Thats still 3 guys in the state with at least equal hype as dude off the top of my head, only in the last 5 yrs... That's gotta be a Nole stan who wrote that nonsense, cause i'm not even talking about national recruits yet lol.

I think whoever wrote that is either a Nole fan or is on drugs lol.... I been casually following recruiting for the past 6,7, maybe 8 years, and idk how this kid comes off as the 2nd most famous or most hyped ever. He's a beast for sure, but I dont see what seperates him from any other top prospects in a typical year...

It might just be the way I evaluate or something but ive seen way too many kids with AT LEAST equal hype as him, if not more hype, in just the state of florida to buy this. Maybe im not in tune with what the general public is thinking, but this sounds like an exaggeration. What makes him any more hyped or famous than Noel Devine or CJ Spiller was?? Or if you wanna compare to another LB, what makes him more famous than Kieth Rivers was...? Those guys were huge. Maybe im just a football junkie so I knew about these guys when the general public wouldn't, but those guys were getting hella hyped on the prep level. Maybe the internet is bigger now and has this kid exposed more abroad or something, but this 'most famous ever' title is funny to me haha... I dont kno who came w/ that up with that other than a Nole, lol.

I usually dont follow recruiting over the summer so maybe he picked up some buzz, but if you were to ask me, this kid was definitely not as hyped as those other 3 just in this state. At least not in my personal opinion. That's w/o me mentioning Tebow, but QB's always get extra attention so I wont include him... Thats still 3 guys in the state with at least equal hype as dude off the top of my head, only in the last 5 yrs... That's gotta be a Nole stan who wrote that nonsense, cause i'm not even talking about national recruits yet lol.

popularity based on notoriety among casual football fans. Dude is a rock star and his commitment has already caught the attention of players like Clowney, Ray Drew, and Steward.

After seeing the conference USA in play today I think UCF has a good chance at taking the east division. The only school that should give them trouble is ECU, and they have lost quite a few players and their coach. If we can just get the QB situation under control then we are in good shape.