Sign in to follow this  
Noonskadoodle17

VC, the expiring contract that isn't

In several places around this site, members of the Orlando Pinstriped Post community have written that Orlando Magic guard Vince Carter has an expiring contract, which makes him a desirable trade chip as NBA teams look to cut costs before the next collective bargaining agreement arrives sometime next year, potentially after a lengthy lockout. For clarification's sake, we should note that Carter's contract doesn't expire next summer, nor is it a team option. It's what one might term as a "semi-expiring" deal. Yes, it can end next summer, but it'll come at a price.

Carter has a partially guaranteed deal for the 2011/12 season. If he is not waived before June 30, 2011, Carter's salary of $18.3 million becomes fully guaranteed; if he is waived by the above date, he pockets $4 million and becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The $4 million figure will stay on his team's cap for that year.

I assure you I'm not picking nits here; these distinctions are important. If the Magic elect to trade Carter, they'll likely have to include $3 million in cash--the maximum allowable amoun--in the bargain to cover most of Carter's guarantee, which is a fact to consider when trying to evaluate potential trade partners. Which ones wouldn't mind having to cover $1 million of Carter's guarantee? Would they demand another asset, such as a future draft pick, as further compensation?

Those details don't change the fact that Carter will almost assuredly become a free-agent next summer, as it's simply hard to imagine that any team is willing to pay him $18.3 million when it could simply pay him to go away. But the circumstances around the pending free agency merit attention. Can't overlook them, no matter how silly they might seem.

http://fanpeeps.com/-8p4j

quote:
Originally posted by Noonskadoodle17:

In several places around this site, members of the Orlando Pinstriped Post community have written that Orlando Magic guard Vince Carter has an expiring contract, which makes him a desirable trade chip as NBA teams look to cut costs before the next collective bargaining agreement arrives sometime next year, potentially after a lengthy lockout. For clarification's sake, we should note that Carter's contract doesn't expire next summer, nor is it a team option. It's what one might term as a "semi-expiring" deal. Yes, it can end next summer, but it'll come at a price.

Carter has a partially guaranteed deal for the 2011/12 season. If he is not waived before June 30, 2011, Carter's salary of $18.3 million becomes fully guaranteed; if he is waived by the above date, he pockets $4 million and becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The $4 million figure will stay on his team's cap for that year.

I assure you I'm not picking nits here; these distinctions are important. If the Magic elect to trade Carter, they'll likely have to include $3 million in cash--the maximum allowable amoun--in the bargain to cover most of Carter's guarantee, which is a fact to consider when trying to evaluate potential trade partners. Which ones wouldn't mind having to cover $1 million of Carter's guarantee? Would they demand another asset, such as a future draft pick, as further compensation?

Those details don't change the fact that Carter will almost assuredly become a free-agent next summer, as it's simply hard to imagine that any team is willing to pay him $18.3 million when it could simply pay him to go away. But the circumstances around the pending free agency merit attention. Can't overlook them, no matter how silly they might seem.

I think people also don't realize how valuable this "technicality" actually is. Vince can basically clear 14 million off any team next year. Instantly! No waiting till the off season for it to come off the books. THAT IS HUGE! You could basically acquire any good player if his team wants to clear cap space.

quote:
Originally posted by Noonskadoodle17:

they need to keep him. i wouldnt let that boston series take away from what the magic accomplished this year. they fell short of their goal, but so did the bulls before they finally put it together. phil jackson came with a different game plan, and they won, and then won more. vc is one of the most scrutinized players ever. people get mad and say that he doesnt have heart, how can you know that without really knowing the person. that is just peoples opinion. the guy has given us his body which is now breaking down, because of all the higlight reels, he has given us. he is still a top 10 guard, and the haters will always try to prove how bad he is, based off a bad month and one series. without a doubt i think that he is the second best player on the magic squad. the reasons i say that are as follows 1. he can hit clutch shots[charlotte series, atlanta series] 2. he runs the offense smoothly, and he gets others involved[ask rashard and dwight] 3. he is a great mentor [ask reddick, ] 4. on any given night he can explode. now i know what the haters will say right here. he only did that against new orleans. nope try san antonio, chicago, lakers, and there are more games. but scoring a bunch is not his roll on this team, and thats ok, as he showed later in the season, he can do whatever it takes. if the magic keep him i think he will have an outstanding year, and so will the magic

quote:
Originally posted by mont:

they need to keep him.i wouldnt let that boston series take away from what the magic accomplished this year. they fell short of their goal, but so did the bulls before they finally put it together. phil jackson came with a different game plan, and they won, and then won more. vc is one of the most scrutinized players ever. people get mad and say that he doesnt have heart, how can you know that without really knowing the person. that is just peoples opinion. the guy has given us his body which is now breaking down, because of all the higlight reels, he has given us. he is still a top 10 guard, and the haters will always try to prove how bad he is, based off a bad month and one series. without a doubt i think that he is the second best player on the magic squad. the reasons i say that are as follows 1. he can hit clutch shots[charlotte series, atlanta series] 2. he runs the offense smoothly, and he gets others involved[ask rashard and dwight] 3. he is a great mentor [ask reddick, ] 4. on any given night he can explode. now i know what the haters will say right here. he only did that against new orleans. nope try san antonio, chicago, lakers, and there are more games. but scoring a bunch is not his roll on this team, and thats ok, as he showed later in the season, he can do whatever it takes. if the magic keep him i think he will have an outstanding year, and so will the magic

SVG Sad

I think if he's included in the Paul trade we're going to give them a lot more than 3 million.

probably Chris Paul for Carter and $3million

Okafor for Nelson and Gortat and $3 million

Posey for Bass, Orton and $3 million

something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

I think if he's included in the Paul trade we're going to give them a lot more than 3 million.

something like that.

holy smokes that's a lot of cash to give them

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

quote:

something like that.

holy smokes that's a lot of cash to give them

yeah, we're not going to give that much cash, just pointing out that we could

quote:

something like that.

Although I understand why we would send $3 Mil for the VC CP3 part of this trade, but would we be required to send additional $$ for bad contracts such as Okafur and Posey respectivley? If so that is a huge pill to swollow! Please be kind enough to expand on this.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

Not even his contract goes out there and gives it 100%

har har

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

something like that.

Although I understand why we would send $3 Mil for the VC CP3 part of this trade, but would we be required to send additional $$ for bad contracts such as Okafur and Posey respectivley? If so that is a huge pill to swollow! Please be kind enough to expand on this.

because teams like money.

not saying we will send that much, but we could. essentially (assuming that we're trading for Paul, Okafor, and Posey) the maximum deal we could make is a combination of:

Vince, Jameer, Pietrus, Gortat, Anderson, Bass, Orton, the rights to stanley robinson, the rights to fran, the rights to rakovic.

$9 million in cash

Our 2011 and our 2013 picks