Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Things we really lack

I'll make this quick.

1. Point guard

I was fortunate enough to watch the game on TNT, and one of the commentators was Doug Collins, whom I consider as one of the great coaches in the league.

One of the things he said was that we need an upgrade on the point guard spot, and that Jameer would be better fit as an off-the-bench scorer.

And, really I agree with him. Nelson is becoming this "take-over" guy, but he forces things. For one instance, we were down by around 20 (tonight), just when we were making a run, he throws up a wild lob-pass to Dwight. Man, that wasn't even an open lane, and sum it all up, why try to go for an alley-oop when we're down? Jameer also relaxes a lot of defense.

Sure, we have Carlos, but, IMO, his game is much suited for a fast pace game. And when you have a player like Dwight and the system runs a slow pace, his game just won't fit. [please don't make this a coaching thread]

2. Aggressiveness

Doug Collins said that Luol Deng told him, yesterday (IIRC), that Luol took down notes whenever he got to watch games Doug commentates. And one of the things Luol took down was when Doug said, as I may quote "the game comes to the aggressor."

This is one thing this team needs to learn -- aggressiveness. We are an inconsistent team, and aggressiveness does not depend on your consistency. Its the will that matters. When you've got the will to go for the ball, to defend, to take it strong to the hole, those are signs of aggressiveness.

Look at the rebounding story on tonight's game. 31 for us, 48 for the Bulls. I bet our rebounds would even reach 30 had it been a close game. 6 or 5 of those rebounds were in garbage minutes.

Aggressiveness isn't base on consistency. You can bring them everytime you step right in to the court just like Bo or Trevor does.

3. Pride

Kirk Hinrich was interviewed by Craig Sager during halftime. And when asked on how his team is performing, Kirk went on and said that, after a lopsided loss last night, Pride is one of the things why they are here and playing great. Our players don't have team pride whatsoever. We don't even have the sense of urgency to step up.

4. Hitting down point blank range shots

During the 2nd quarter, the quarter the Bulls made a run, we were missing shots after shots, and those weren't tough shots, those were easy shots.

5. Free throws

The free throws were terrible. We shots 18/36. While they shot 25/33.

I'll make this quick.

1. Point guard

I was fortunate enough to watch the game on TNT, and one of the commentators was Doug Collins, whom I consider as one of the great coaches in the league.

One of the things he said was that we need an upgrade on the point guard spot, and that Jameer would be better fit as an off-the-bench scorer.

And, really I agree with him. Nelson is becoming this "take-over" guy, but he forces things. For one instance, we were down by around 20 (tonight), just when we were making a run, he throws up a wild lob-pass to Dwight. Man, that wasn't even an open lane, and sum it all up, why try to go for an alley-oop when we're down? Jameer also relaxes a lot of defense.

Sure, we have Carlos, but, IMO, his game is much suited for a fast pace game. And when you have a player like Dwight and the system runs a slow pace, his game just won't fit. [please don't make this a coaching thread]

2. Aggressiveness

Doug Collins said that Luol Deng told him, yesterday (IIRC), that Luol took down notes whenever he got to watch games Doug commentates. And one of the things Luol took down was when Doug said, as I may quote "the game comes to the aggressor."

This is one thing this team needs to learn -- aggressiveness. We are an inconsistent team, and aggressiveness does not depend on your consistency. Its the will that matters. When you've got the will to go for the ball, to defend, to take it strong to the hole, those are signs of aggressiveness.

Look at the rebounding story on tonight's game. 31 for us, 48 for the Bulls. I bet our rebounds would even reach 30 had it been a close game. 6 or 5 of those rebounds were in garbage minutes.

Aggressiveness isn't base on consistency. You can bring them everytime you step right in to the court just like Bo or Trevor does.

3. Pride

Kirk Hinrich was interviewed by Craig Sager during halftime. And when asked on how his team is performing, Kirk went on and said that, after a lopsided loss last night, Pride is one of the things why they are here and playing great. Our players don't have team pride whatsoever. We don't even have the sense of urgency to step up.

4. Hitting down point blank range shots

During the 2nd quarter, the quarter the Bulls made a run, we were missing shots after shots, and those weren't tough shots, those were easy shots.

5. Free throws

The free throws were terrible. We shots 18/36. While they shot 25/33.

The Magic players don't honor playing on this team because there is nothing 'to' honor.

Face it FENDI, this team is cursed for life and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

"God hates Magic fans"

This Team Lacks Big Hairy MAN BAGS, much similiar to The MAN BAGS that Hang off Mike Bianchi's Goatee........Not to be mistaken for the Tiny ones you'll find hanging above Fran Vasquez's Girlfriends Mantle....

John The Jerk

Amen Fendi. On all 5 counts. I can forgive anyone for missing their shots. That happens. But, the lackadaisical way they play sometimes is really disheartening. I also feel like they suffer from a lack of leadership from the so-called core players. I'm more of a J.J. Redick fan than I am a Magic fan, so I didn't start following them until after the draft... but wasn't Jameer's much ballyhooed pre-season Philly week supposed to cement him as team leader and carry the team to the playoffs? What happened to that?

I agree with a lot of what you are saying especially the free throws. However, I think the Magic have other issues. First off, Grant Hill is not helping this team. I think that the fact that he is such a nice guy clouds our judgement of him. His constant injuries disrupt the team chemistry and also he is a defensive liability if he is guarding anyone quick.

The other thing the Magic lack is a great #1 player. Dwight will be someday but right now he shoots free throws worse than my little sister, he turns the ball over at an alarming rate for a center and the Magic aren't good enough to be giving the ball away and not converting easy points. That said, I am a huge fan of his and I know that in 2 years or so he will be one of the 2 or 3 best players in the league. But right now, if Dwight Howard of 2007 is the best player on your team, you are probably not a very good team.

To clarrify I will use Michael Redd as an example. He is without a doubt a fine player, but if he is your star player, your team probably isn't going anywhere. Thats what I mean. All great teams have atleast 1 great star, usually 2 or 3. Every Magic player is either too young(Howard), too old(Hill) or not talented enough(Turkoglu, Ariza, Milic, Bogans etc) to be that guy. Luckily for the Magic in a couple years, Dwight will be that guy. So that fact that the Magic are losing now isn't as bad if you think of the very bright future ahead.

This team needs a true point guard who is tall enough to see over his opponent. I mean for God's sake! Our point guards had ONE assist tonight! Give me a break! For a team who has trouble scoring to have the guys who have the ball 70% of the time to only have one assist, that is bad, not to mention how slow the offensive moves as well as the turnovers. It is counter productive to do the same thing over and over again as well as dribble the clock down to nothing before you run the play. Pure horrible.

I say the Magic grab a guy like Andre Miller to play point, then re-sign Darko after because he is a restricted free-agent. Miller would spread the ball as well as push the tempo of the game. He would also much like a Steve Nash or a Jason Kidd find ways to get guys the ball where they can be the most productive. Every guy can score, but its giving them the opportunity to play within theirs abilities is the key. Your point guard is your quarterback on the court and this team is starting to feel the effects of having a guy who ranks about 45th in assist in the NBA. Jameer is good, but he is not the man for the job plain and simple.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Fendi, who is more stubborn? Brian with his play system or Otis with his ,"we need to make a PG out of Jameer."

Brian. Otis did nothing wrong on letting the trade deadline pass without making any trade at all. He did a wise move. We really don't need to shake the roster up because this team was capable of winning. Otis did hold on to our roster, because there was nothing sensible out of the trade deadline. Hedo, Darko and Ariza is way way way tooo much for VC.