Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

SLAM ONLINE - NBA Top 25-Under 25

quote:
2) Dwight Howard | C | Orlando Magic

Years Pro: 6

The Magic have been an elite team in the East for the last three seasons, and it is no coincidence that over that stretch, their starting center was an elite player in the NBA. It

The writer has it right with his analysis of Howard. Especially the stuff about his offense. Imagine how good he would be if he decided to work on his offensive game to the point where he could score on at least 45% of his field goal attempts. If he ever does that, watch out.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

The writer has it right with his analysis of Howard. Especially the stuff about his offense. Imagine how good he would be if he decided to work on his offensive game to the point where he could score on at least 45% of his field goal attempts. If he ever does that, watch out.

yes, 45% is the cutoff for "studly" scorers nowadays.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:

Well, we can't expect him to be Lebron and shoot 47 or 48%. But if he can get close to being that efficient, he'll be unstoppable.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, we can't expect him to be Lebron and shoot 47 or 48%. But if he can get close to being that efficient, he'll be unstoppable.

The only way he is going to do that is by incorporating(somehow; I don't know the how to's; I'm no scientist like you(triple semicolon)) some kind of fade away jump shot and increase his field goal attempts per game by roughly 17.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The only way he is going to do that is by incorporating(somehow; I don't know the how to's; I'm no scientist like you(triple semicolon)) some kind of fade away jump shot and increase his field goal attempts per game by roughly 17.

Maybe. I don't think he necessarily needs a fadeaway, though. He needs a Tim Duncan bank shot though. That's the coolest shot in the NBA by far. He's not worth his salt until he learns to hit one of those. Then he'll be an offense monster.

quote:

Maybe. I don't think he necessarily needs a fadeaway, though. He needs a Tim Duncan bank shot though. That's the coolest shot in the NBA by far. He's not worth his salt until he learns to hit one of those. Then he'll be an offense monster.

A jump shot of any kind will compensate for his inability to finish around the basket, create contact and draw fouls. Why stop at a Timmy D banker? I think he should go spend some time with Nowitzki and focus on extending his range. What could be better than a team with potential 5 shooting threats out on the floor? That would really spread the defense. I saw Dwight hit a clutch buzzer beater against the Bobcats, so I know he's got it in him. He's just been neglecting to polish his offensive game and has been instead recording stupid movies and helping lame kids in Africa.

quote:

quote:

A jump shot of any kind will compensate for his inability to finish around the basket, create contact and draw fouls. Why stop at a Timmy D banker? I think he should go spend some time with Nowitzki and focus on extending his range. What could be better than a team with potential 5 shooting threats out on the floor? That would really spread the defense. I saw Dwight hit a clutch buzzer beater against the Bobcats, so I know he's got it in him. He's just been neglecting to polish his offensive game and has been instead recording stupid movies and helping lame kids in Africa.

Don't forget the laughing and joking during losses or when the team is behind. That has to stop. Is it too much to ask for our best player to take his job seriously? As a season ticket holder, I pay his salary. He owes me at least a little bit of effort out there on the court.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything he does on defense. He's probably one of the top 3 or 4 defenders in the league, maybe not as versatile as a guy like Lebron, but he holds his own on defense. I just want to see him get serious on offense so the Magic will have a little bit of a chance against some of the better teams.

If he was scoring in 6 or 7 different ways during the Boston series, it might have been a better series. All he does now is DUNK DUNK DUNK and then TURNOVER and then DUNK. Frankly, it's boring to watch and it's hurting his legacy as a great player. Hakeem could score. Howard has a long way to go before he gets to Hakeem level of offense.

Agreed. Dwight dunks too much. He's not a scorer.

And you're right, his smiling and joking is contagious and probably loosens up his teammates and forces them to lose focus and ultimately lose championships, which, by the way, we've done every year since Dwight was drafted and I doubt the lack of professionalism we've had since is any coincidence. You can tell me, but I doubt Shaq, Darrell, or Drew Gooden would be goofing off like this. As a Magic fan, it's pretty embarrassing.

quote:

Agreed. Dwight dunks too much. He's not a scorer.

And you're right, his smiling and joking is contagious and probably loosens up his teammates and forces them to lose focus and ultimately lose championships, which, by the way, we've done every year since Dwight was drafted and I doubt the lack of professionalism we've had since is any coincidence. You can tell me, but I doubt Shaq, Darrell, or Drew Gooden would be goofing off like this. As a Magic fan, it's pretty embarrassing.

I'm glad someone else sees this. Dwight has become a bigger and bigger celebrity each season since he's been in the league, and each season ends the same: no championship. You could even argue that this team is going backwards now. We went from the Finals to only winning two ECF games this year, with the same regular season record. That's not progress, and if you're not first you're last. That's what I was taught, anyway. Second place is the first loser, and the Magic weren't even the first loser this year. They were like the third or fourth place loser. That's pretty bad.

I think the problem actually might be Nelson. He's buddies with Howard and they play and joke all the time. Matty Barnes was brought in this year to kind of counter-balance that, but that didn't really work out. He can only do so much.

With all these CP3 rumors going around, it gets me really excited that the one player who in my opinion has been dragging Dwight down for the last 5 years might finally be on his way out, and we'll get a real point guard for the team. Hopefully Otis doesn't screw up this opportunity.