Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Denton Defends His MVP Vote Update: Fires Back at Critics (Including Simmons)

That may have been my favorite piece ever written by Denton! About time someone went off on the overbearing hero worship Lebron gets from a majority of the media.

I don't think Dwight was the MVP, but I don't think it's an outlandish opinion, & I do feel he was the clear cut #2.

The simple fact Orlando was the best defensive team in the entire league speaks volumes when you look at their roster sans Dwight. I always knew media voters couldn't look beyond stats to determine value, but they apparently can't even look beyond points.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Anyone got a link for what Simmons said about Denton?

top is most recent:

Forgotten fact: Mutombo's best block-reb #'s were better than Howard's despite playing vs. much better centers. http://tinyurl.com/37ye2b 11:39 AM May 4th via UberTwitter

By this logic, Dikembe Mutombo was a 5-time MVP. Good lord. RT @DavidJewman: http://www.nba.com/magic/news/...dmvpvote_050310.html

# Question: Why does anyone paid by a sports team (website writer, tv/radio announcer, etc.) get an *objective* MVP vote? That's objective? 12:14 PM May 3rd via web

Dwight Howard's 3 1st place MVP votes came from "media" members living in Orlando. Great system! RT @EricLopezELO http://tinyurl.com/23mhsea 11:49 AM May 3rd via web

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I don't think Dwight was the MVP, but I don't think it's an outlandish opinion, & I do feel he was the clear cut #2.

The simple fact Orlando was the best defensive team in the entire league speaks volumes when you look at their roster sans Dwight. I always knew media voters couldn't look beyond stats to determine value, but they apparently can't even look beyond points.

seriously!!! i was thinking about this the other day.

we start a roster of jameer nelson, vince carter, and rashard lewis.

We are a top 1-3 defensive team in the NBA.

whoever says dwight doesn't make his team better should take a look at that.

and why is defensive poty and MVP mutually exclusive?

Orlando without Howard is still a strong playoff team. Cleveland without James or L.A. without Kobe are bottom of the league teams. A player that can transform a bunch of scrubs like Williams and Varejao into a 60+ win team is by far the most value player in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNumber:

Orlando without Howard is still a strong playoff team. Cleveland without James or L.A. without Kobe are bottom of the league teams. A player that can transform a bunch of scrubs like Williams and Varejao into a 60+ win team is by far the most value player in the league.

maybe, maybe not.

we haven't seen how well the team plays for extended stretches without howard. James is easy to predict because he's their whole offense, Dwight is our whole defense though

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNumber:

maybe, maybe not.

we haven't seen how well the team plays for extended stretches without howard. James is easy to predict because he's their whole offense, Dwight is our whole defense though

Meh the Lakers would still be a lower seed in the west with Pau, Artest, and Odom. Remember Gasol took a Grizzlies team with basically just him and Mike Miller to the playoffs.

The Cavs on the other hand? Yeah without LeBron their fans are already making their custom John Wall jerseys and wondering if Big Z will give up number 11 to him.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:
Originally posted by Mickinator:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by Mickinator:

You're probably right about the blocked shot stat, but the rebounding is arguable.

I just think that if Dwight wants to get the MVP, he would need to average at least 19 or so ppg. Seems like their is a defensive award (DPOY) and a offensive award (MVP), which obviously shouldn't be how it works.

No... it really isn't arguable. Dikembe's best rebounding year still wasn't as good as Dwight's, and he only went over 13 a year 3x, and Dwight has done it 3x in a row now, and will probably do it for a few more years.

Come on man... Dwight averaged 13.2 rebounds a game this season and 12.7 for his career, Mutumbo's average for his first 10 seasons is about 12.5... And anyway, 1 rebound per game isn't too significant.

1 rebound per game isn't significant, but what about the 1 extra point per game Dwight would need to reach 19, the Magic number he needs to be at, according to you, to be considered for MVP? That one ppg is more significant?

Yeah, I thought about that. I just said 1 more because he really shouldn't need to be a scorer to be MVP, but with the way it works, he would need to average more. So I scooped it up a point. icon_razz.gif

Some of those comments in Denton's mailbag are ridiculous.

Dwight has become a great offensive player. He can pass out of double teams now and in case nobody noticed he didn't just lead the league in defensive categories, but also in Field Goal percentage and that isn't because it's just dunks, he's got a great hook shot with either hand regardless of what McHale says.

If Dwight could hit free throws a lot would be different. It's hard to look good on offense when every time you catch the ball someone catches your head and bear hugs you.

Lebron didn't lead the league in a single category. He's not the best scorer, passer, rebounder, blocker, or anything else. He might be the best whiner. I believe he fully deserved the MVP and it would have been an outrage if he didn't get it, but to criticize Dwight for his offense and call him average is just stupid. If he's so average than quit double teaming him and fouling the crap out of him every time he catches the ball.

Also, while we're talking Denton's mailbag, just a Shaq comparison. Some of the comments are talking about how Dwight is only thriving because there are no good centers. I would love if Dwight could get to the finals and face the centers that Shaq did. Rick Smits, Matt Geiger, "Erica" Dampier? Really?

Hey, Ric Smits was a really good player.

*shudders at the flaskback memory of Ric Smits' playoff buzzer beater over Shaq-Penny's Magic back in the day*

TOO good sometimes...