Sign in to follow this  
Malachi

Cavs vs Celtics

Why are you talking about stopping LeBron?

Nobody stops him. You can slow him down and force him to play differently, but you don't stop LeBron.

Unless you sign a Russian no-skill Center in the offseason to break his pelvis on a dunk attempt.. but that's for offseason consideration.

quote:
I think the Cav's are obviously favored here, but to claim that it's going to be one sided, or not much of a challenge would be in bad form. I give Boston a 35% chance of winning the series.

The biggest problem with Boston is depth. They have absolutely no one who can consistently give them quality minutes off the bench. Davis will from time to time but Sheed, Allen and Robinson are / have been pretty much worthless.

Boston could certainly stay in this series if they get 20+ from two guys each night, but they don't match up particularly well with Cleveland. Especially not with Kendrick Perkins at center. That puts Garnett's old creaky knees on Jamison, which is just a horrible match up for the Celtics.

One through five Boston can play with Cleveland but in the event anyone gets in foul trouble (or simply has an off night), The Celtics no longer have guys to pick up the slack. They don't have a Delonte West type guy who can get them 15-20 when they need it. I mean, J.J. Hickson can't even get on the floor for Cleveland and he would easily play 20-25 minutes off Boston's bench.

I don't think it will be really easy but it could be a series where it looks much easier than it should.

If Cleveland plays well, Boston just doesn't have the roster to withstand their style of play. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which Garnett or Perkins isn't consistently in foul trouble, much like Chicago's bigs were. IF they stay on the floor, there's certainly the potential to extend the series but i find it hard to believe Boston would beat Cleveland in a 7 game series 3.5 to 4 times out of 10.

Ok, "stopping" was a bad choice of words. Making him work and forcing more jump shots is pretty much the goal.

If you remember he was gassed at the end of several games in the ECF because he was forced to work harder for shots.

and yes Pietrus was not the only one defending him but he was the main defender during crunch time.

I am already on the phone, making a deal with some Russian streetball brute. Ivil Krusjchou will be a Magic reserve C next season!

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

quote:
In 2009 we had Pietrus

Did Pietrus do anything to stop LeBron? I remember him lighting us up from everywhere in every game. Peaches did do a good job attacking, but there was no single stopper on LeBron the whole series. He did what he wanted with us. And he lost.

Mp was making shots... that made up for it.

Also y do peeps think Z is a factor? Hes getting no playing time lmao.

Also I want the celtics to win but their not consistent. But could be a 5-7 game series?

You know, I can see the Celtics winning this series with their defense, but their offense is still in question; especially from their bench. Outside of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, they don't really have too many perimeter scores. Finley is inconsistent... which leads us to..

Nate Robinson.

I think he is the x-factor in this series and I fully expect Doc Rivers to try and make some use of him. The Celtics however NEED to defend this team consistently in order to win, and I think they *may* be able to do it.

You want to know how to 'stop' LeBron James?

Ask the Charlotte Bobcats. They made him work. They have like 3 or 4 guys who are all able to stay in front of LeBron, and they make him work on the other end. LeBron is going to have to play defense in this series, and that may affect his energy on the other end.

I also like the fact that nobody remembers that Boston whipped this team when Shaq was on the court in the regular season. I'm not saying they can't win in the halfcourt, but they sure haven't shown that they could. Also, somebody mentioned that Cleveland can play small against Boston.

.. But will they actually do it? Lol. We all know how the coaching staff on that team 'make adjustments'. And benching Shaq or limiting his minutes would be an insult to him. Does Mike Brown have the balls?

Overall Boston very well has a chance in this. Perkins is one of the best post defenders in the game. If he can give Dwight trouble, what is a 38-year-old Shaq going to do? And he still sucks in pick and roll situations; Nate Robinson is the perfect guy to take advantage of this. He had a 40 point game or something against Shaq in the regular season.

This should be a goody.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBroncious:

quote:
I think the Cav's are obviously favored here, but to claim that it's going to be one sided, or not much of a challenge would be in bad form. I give Boston a 35% chance of winning the series.

The biggest problem with Boston is depth. They have absolutely no one who can consistently give them quality minutes off the bench. Davis will from time to time but Sheed, Allen and Robinson are / have been pretty much worthless.

Boston could certainly stay in this series if they get 20+ from two guys each night, but they don't match up particularly well with Cleveland. Especially not with Kendrick Perkins at center. That puts Garnett's old creaky knees on Jamison, which is just a horrible match up for the Celtics.

One through five Boston can play with Cleveland but in the event anyone gets in foul trouble (or simply has an off night), The Celtics no longer have guys to pick up the slack. They don't have a Delonte West type guy who can get them 15-20 when they need it. I mean, J.J. Hickson can't even get on the floor for Cleveland and he would easily play 20-25 minutes off Boston's bench.

I don't think it will be really easy but it could be a series where it looks much easier than it should.

If Cleveland plays well, Boston just doesn't have the roster to withstand their style of play. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario in which Garnett or Perkins isn't consistently in foul trouble, much like Chicago's bigs were. IF they stay on the floor, there's certainly the potential to extend the series but i find it hard to believe Boston would beat Cleveland in a 7 game series 3.5 to 4 times out of 10.

Boston has more depth, and both better defense, and more of an established offensive game with Rondo/Pierce/Allen than Chicago, and Cleveland barely one game 5, at home.

Depth is misleading in the playoffs. It's great for the regular season. It's great if someone has an off night, or is in foul trouble, but by and large, your starters should be playing the bulk of the minutes.

Also, Hickson would NOT be playing 15-20 minutes a night for Boston. Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBroncious:

What have the Celtics done that gives any indication they'll beat Cleveland?

They gave up a 17 point 4th quarter lead to Cleveland, at home, when the Cavs were playing with a shortened roster and nothing to play for. It took Ray Allen going 6-9 for 3 for them to eek out a 4 point win in a game they lead by 22.

In the two match ups prior to that, Cleveland breezed past them. I don't think it will be easy but all these people picking Boston must never watch basketball.

Boston has no answer for LeBron. Not even someone who can slow him down a little. They never have. Now that he's getting help scoring the basketball, I just don't see how Boston puts up enough points against Cleveland's defense.

Cleveland in 6 and it will look easier than that. The Cavs hate the Celtics. The level of intensity they play this series will jump significantly from the last. I think it will be a tough series but I personally don't feel Boston has enough in the tank to beat Cleveland. Their bench is just too thin.

Boston beat you the first game, not sure off the top of my head what happened in the second one.

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

To me, the bench will be the deciding factor...Glen Davis, Tony Allen. and Rasheed Wallace can't compare to Andy, Delonte, and Z...

Not to mention Jamario and JJ if they continue to play well.

For the millionth time, Z sucks.

Back to topic, I'm a little worried about us after this series, regardless of who wins. I like being more battle tested, and I think it helped us last year having a decent series with the Sixers and a great series with the Celtics, while the Cavs played WNBA teams. Now we're the ones playing the easy series and they're being battle tested. I don't like that, maybe it's just me.

Bobcats was not an easy series. They were one of the best defensive team. And the second round isn't going to be a cakewalk as well. It wasn't in the cards for the Magic to play both Cavs and Celtics last year. Understand this, Magic went 4-0, but the Cavs and Celtics went 4-1 in their series, they only played one more game then the Magic squad. And there is no telling how many games they are going to play in their own series so no, it does not mean that the Magic have the easier path. Whether they play the Bucks or the Hawks, that is the situation they were given...its up to them to make the best of those situation.

I think Boston will be tough for the Cavs. For one thing, Boston plays dirty. The Queen is going to have a hard time with this imo. The Celtics will fight for their lives, and a lot of hard fouls will be made. Shaq's age is going to be a factor, big time. Ray Allen, Pierce, and Nate Robinson are great 3 pt shooters. Rondo is sneaky and more aggressive than Mo Williams. I am not sure about Parker and Jamison. They are not going to have an easy time against a motivated and angry Celtic team. I am not sure who will win the series, but imo it will be 7 games with a very angry Queen.