Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

How will Otis trim salary/retain key guys this summer?(realgm)

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I think you take the BPA period in this draft. 1-30 is full of solid players, with the PG crop being the weakest of the bunch. If a guy like Willie Warren (combo guard), Kyler Singler, James Anderson, Daniel Orton, or Gani Lawal are available like some mocks suggest, then I think you have to take one of those guys.

I am of the opinion that we can find a good prospect at PG in the 2nd, with guys like Collins, Vasquez, Dyson being available.

I thought when jameer was signed the issue of PG was over.There are plenty of back up PG's in the league that can back up and bench Jameer, Why not unload jameer if you can get some team to have him.

Thi year is th elast opportunity this team will hava a cahnce at the ring but...I think even Superman cant pull that one off.LOL

We might want another point guard because it is usually a good idea to have more than one of them. You know, so that when one of them gets tired the other one can play. I didn't think I would have to explain this to a man that has only followed the career of a backup point guard for the past 10 years.

You seem really confident that Arroyo is in Miami to stay. I've got 5 bucks that says he gets dumped the first chance Miami gets to upgrade the position. He is a filler. Nothing more. A patch job until an actual starting point guard can be acquired. The only reason Arroyo was even signed was because the Heat were sporting the spectacular duo of Chalmers and the Travis Diener rip-off.

quote:
We might want another point guard because it is usually a good idea to have more than one of them. You know, so that when one of them gets tired the other one can play. I didn't think I would have to explain this to a man that has only followed the career of a backup point guard for the past 10 years.

You seem really confident that Arroyo is in Miami to stay. I've got 5 bucks that says he gets dumped the first chance Miami gets to upgrade the position. He is a filler. Nothing more. A patch job until an actual starting point guard can be acquired. The only reason Arroyo was even signed was because the Heat were sporting the spectacular duo of Chalmers and the Travis Diener rip-off.

Its reasonabel the heat should star looking for a new PG for long term since Arroyo is 32 but if they are stupid enough to make the same mistake the Magic did by letting go one of their most popular player in bringing people in, Arroyo will get plenty of offers from other teams. Any way lets see howour teams do in the plyoffs when we meet.

My quick take:

To agree with DOM. Who are we to say ownership won't pay the big bucks?

I like a lot of what Sky and Smack said but think Tat is worth more than a simple pick. Couldn't he help land us a proven young wing? Am I dreaming? Plus, let's keep as many good bigs as possible.

A young PG is a top priority. Watson is an option. Also don't forget Lowry.

Barnes brings so much to this team, especially toughness and accountability. I like the idea of a 3 year deal. If that happens, MP becomes trade bait.

I hope we keep Redick, too.

Swinging for the fences ... I still want Otis to try and go big this summer for Joe Johnson or someone of that caliber via a sign-n-trade. Dreaming again. [sigh]

Last but not least, re-sign AJ and Garrity for half-time dunk-offs.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

i got a bit of inside info on the black alternate jersey for next season

source told me

it hasnt even been decided if their will be an alternate jersey next season

Your source is a buffoon. No team is going to deny themselves the opportunity to sell an additional jersey to the populace.

this person works in marketing for the magic they said that its been discussed but not a sure thing

quote:

quote:

Its reasonabel the heat should star looking for a new PG for long term since Arroyo is 32 but if they are stupid enough to make the same mistake the Magic did by letting go one of their most popular player in bringing people in, Arroyo will get plenty of offers from other teams. Any way lets see howour teams do in the plyoffs when we meet.

Yes, we were clearly devastated by the loss. How will we ever get over the arena always being sold out, our finals run last year, and being locked into the second best record in the east and possibly the 2nd best record in the league? Why, we could be fighting just to get in the playoffs instead!

Oh, and you don't have a team. You have a player that you follow around like he's your personal savior. Remember when you used to pretend that you were a Magic fan? At least you dropped that act.

quote:

if they are stupid enough to make the same mistake the Magic did by letting go one of their most popular player in bringing people in

This mindset always floors me. This would be a great marketing angle if the team was awful. In that situation, catering to one ethnic group would be a way to keep people in the seats, even when losses are mounting.

But this only works so long as there is a player of that ethnicity to market around. What happens in two or three years when Arroyo is out of the league for good? There aren't a ton of Puerto Rican players in the league. And not every team can have JJ Barea. So, what to do? What to do?

But the Magic are a title contender with multiple all-stars. The last thing they need to do is appeal to one segment of the fan base. Winning fills seats. Period. I can't believe I'm having to make this same argument again and again for 4 years.