Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

How will Otis trim salary/retain key guys this summer?(realgm)

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

We're linking threads from RealGM now? Really Junkie?

It makes for an interesting conversation. At least he isn't tweaking a article to make the player he dislikes look bad.

That is in the other thread.

I personally think that no matter what happens this year we will be unloading Carters contract next year. Problem is that it will probably happen around the trade deadline.

Have to resign Barnes though and Redick.

I expect us to dump Bass and or Gortat which frees up around 9 million I believe.

Also, the new arena means more money and if we make the finals again then that's even more money and management will be willing to spend

Draft a PG and then maybe a PF/C

My #1 concern with our team going forward is.....what will Otis do to continue to have big time talent around Dwight? VC is 33, and he's not even having that good of a year. We need to cash in his contract either in the offseason or at the deadline next year for a younger wing player to help us win now.

Gortat is almost a lock to be traded. He's making way too much money to remain Dwight's backup, and he can only contribute so much in the very few minutes he plays. I could see Bass being traded too, I think the Magic would rather roll with Anderson going forward and Bass is making around 4m a year or so for another few years. Only thing is, what could these guys actually net us in return? I don't think teams are going to be tripping over themselves to give us good players for a backup center making 6m a year for the long haul. He's shown promise in the minutes he's played here, but it's unknown how well he would play as a starter.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

However, because Vince only has 4m guaranteed that year, if the team that has him on their roster cuts him, they only have to pay him 4m, rather than 17(or whatever it is).

Which IMO makes him a prime candidate for a trade that would have him released and brought back to the Magic. In this case, since VC's contract is only partially guaranteed, there's really no need to negotiate a hefty buyout like in many of these scenarios (and with 2011 being a team option year, next year is essentially an expiring contract year).

I think ultimately it boils down to which teams are doing poorly in the standings and at ticket sales that would necessitate a salary dump, combined with whether the owners and PA can avoid a lockout.

I'm gonna keep it simple with what I like, which is similar to Smack's Plan:

1. Keep Redick. Shouldn't be as hard as it might be to keep Barnes.

2. Keep Barnes? If some NBA team Hedo-izes him, then he's getting too old to keep at ALL costs. But if we could somehow keep him at no more than 4.5 million per for no longer than three more seasons? POUNCE~!

3. I agree that MP is expendable (IF Barnes stays, that is), but if DeVos is still willing to pay next season.. hey why not keep him around?

4. NO Battie. The guy is just done, no matter how much money he's making. Can we not forget that he's the anti-Dwight, the anti-PF banger, and just isn't strong whatsoever down low? There's gotta be someone else better out there, even though Magic fans may not of heard of him before.

5. So long A.J. and thanks for the thunder dunks.

6. Absolutely draft the best PG available in the first round. Mr. Anderson is a perfect example about the fine wonder of a rookie contract. Get Anthony Johnson's much younger replacement that, if we're lucky, turns into a long-term backup to Jameer Nelson. Or maybe his eventual replacement?

7. Do whatever it takes to trade Marcin Gortat. I mean, what NBA wouldn't give up their first round pick (I'm thinking 13-20 range) for a true NBA center? They don't grow on trees and there's no drafting someone in that range that good that will help right away. We still get something for Gortat rather than letting him walk, and get some salary shaved to make up for at least some other expenses.

8. Do NOT trade Brandon Bass unless it knocks your socks off. Trade Gortat? Okay. Trade Bass? Okay. Trade both? Absolutely not. You're supposed to have just enough wing players, at least three point guards, and as many big guys as you can fit on the team bus. Let us NOT go back to have one big guy too few like the Dwight-Battie-Darko days, shall we?

And that's that. Emphasis on get a new backup PG and trade Gortat.

I think you take the BPA period in this draft. 1-30 is full of solid players, with the PG crop being the weakest of the bunch. If a guy like Willie Warren (combo guard), Kyler Singler, James Anderson, Daniel Orton, or Gani Lawal are available like some mocks suggest, then I think you have to take one of those guys.

I am of the opinion that we can find a good prospect at PG in the 2nd, with guys like Collins, Vasquez, Dyson being available.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I think you take the BPA period in this draft. 1-30 is full of solid players, with the PG crop being the weakest of the bunch. If a guy like Willie Warren (combo guard), Kyler Singler, James Anderson, Daniel Orton, or Gani Lawal are available like some mocks suggest, then I think you have to take one of those guys.

I am of the opinion that we can find a good prospect at PG in the 2nd, with guys like Collins, Vasquez, Dyson being available.

I thought when jameer was signed the issue of PG was over.There are plenty of back up PG's in the league that can back up and bench Jameer, Why not unload jameer if you can get some team to have him.

Thi year is th elast opportunity this team will hava a cahnce at the ring but...I think even Superman cant pull that one off.LOL

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Also, anyone who isn't Rich DeVos to make a statement like "He won't pay that much" and "Our finances are dire" should shoot themselves in the face.

I don't think many people realize that Devos is the 3rd most wealthy owner in the league. Say what you want about Orlando being a small market, and how the revenue generated compares unfavorably with the larger markets, but this team is not at a loss for financial resources.

Not to mention the financial boost from the new arena.

Also, do teams get a share of merchandise sales? If so, the rumored black alternate uniforms will likely ease the sting of the luxury tax. I know, that sounds minimal, but you'd have to think, judging by the popularity of the retro jerseys, that those will sell like hotcakes nation wide.

i got a bit of inside info on the black alternate jersey for next season

source told me

it hasnt even been decided if their will be an alternate jersey next season

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

i got a bit of inside info on the black alternate jersey for next season

source told me

it hasnt even been decided if their will be an alternate jersey next season

Your source is a buffoon. No team is going to deny themselves the opportunity to sell an additional jersey to the populace.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I thought when jameer was signed the issue of PG was over.There are plenty of back up PG's in the league that can back up and bench Jameer, Why not unload jameer if you can get some team to have him.

Thi year is th elast opportunity this team will hava a cahnce at the ring but...I think even Superman cant pull that one off.LOL

If you truly feel this is the last opportunity or next year is the last year we have at winning a championship, u don't understand the history of big men in the league... Dwight, while being close, is still not even in his prime yet. We'll be even better and probably dominate the league or be elite for the next 5 to 8 years and that's a conservative estimate i think.

I'm so glad i'm in my twenties when this all happened... sports nirvana

Why would u trade Bass when hes our backup PF to Lewis. Anderson has been playing awful the last month with the exceptions of 2 games. Even though he scored 16 points both of those games... his field goal percentage is god awful. I dont see the magic make a move to trade bass. I do see them however trading Gortat. I think this postseason; like last; will determine how much Gortat is worth trade value wise. There arent that many great centers that are backups. It would be hard to trade to get one that agrees to backup Howard and play only 10 minutes... unless its like a Tony Battie type of guy. VC is I think 50/50 to get traded. I do think if Orlando wins a title they will reward Vince by keeping him next season. Someone suggested trading him then the other team waives him and we resign him to a smaller deal. I could see that happening. The question is who do you trade him with... or maybe it could be a backup PG and backup Center. I think Jwill will come back but Barnes is out. He wants to get paid. barnes has been with 7 teams in 7 years... that tells alot about his loyalty.If Barnes goes I can see the Magic signing Tmac and moving him to SG. I think our 1st round pick will be a PG. Dont be surprised if they trade players or cash to move up in the draft.

This is what I have for the 2011 Season if we win a title this year:

Nelson/Draft pick/Jwill

Carter/Redick

Barnes/Pietrus

Lewis/Bass/Anderson

Howard/Gortat-halfway then traded/FA

If we dont win a title:

Nelson/Draft Pick/min FA

Carter-Halfway,waived then retained/Redick

Tmac/Pietrus

Lewis/Bass/Anderson

Howard/Gortat traded at Draft/Min FA