Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Dwight Howard

I'm not gonna lie

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

You would really prefer to live in the times where people killed themselves over religion, killed anything different, beat their women mercilessly, have hundreds of laws that make no sense whatsoever.. over today?

What makes today worse, or just as bad exactly?

I beat my woman mercilessly, but she likes it. That's why we have a safe word.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

But don't pretend our world today is a safer place.

It is a fact that the world is safer today than it was during the Middle Ages, by an astronomical amount, in fact.

I'm struggling to understand this. In the time of the crusades did they have the ability to obliterate the earth like we do today?

I'm quite astonished that you're actually sticking with this. I'd like you to elaborate a bit, too.

I'm assuming you're talking about nuclear weapons with your last comment. Are there other factors that make today's world a more dangerous place than any other in history? Or is it just the nukes?

I would rather live in a world that had more freedoms and tolerance that had a chance of being obliterated than anything that ever existed in the past. At least when i WAS ALIVE, I was happy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

I'm quite astonished that you're actually sticking with this. I'd like you to elaborate a bit, too.

I'm assuming you're talking about nuclear weapons with your last comment. Are there other factors that make today's world a more dangerous place than any other in history? Or is it just the nukes?

My point here is that we live in a society that is not safe/safer by any stretch of the imagination. The human heart has not changed. We have replaced knives with guns. There is just too many ways to wipe out large volumes of life now than there has ever been in the history of the world. I don't know about you, but as i watch the news and see what's happening, not only is the violence closer to home, but its also more random and senseless.

quote:

I would rather live in a world that had more freedoms and tolerance that had a chance of being obliterated than anything that ever existed in the past. At least when i WAS ALIVE, I was happy.

Tolerance and freedom? Where do you live?

quote:

quote:

In the Middle Ages, saying: "I think taxes might be a tad on the high side" would lead to your immediate execution and, if you were lucky, not your immediate execution AND the execution of your family.

The Middle Ages featured plagues that could kill a man in a day, horrible wars that wiped out huge percentages of the population, unsafe roads, pillaging barbarians, and constant local wars.

The idea that our capacity for nuclear arms makes our lives more dangerous is silly; yes, we could end the lives of an entire city in the blink of an eye. In the Middle Ages, this was more difficult, but it was also a regular occurrence.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

My point here is that we live in a society that is not safe/safer by any stretch of the imagination. The human heart has not changed. We have replaced knives with guns. There is just too many ways to wipe out large volumes of life now than there has ever been in the history of the world. I don't know about you, but as i watch the news and see what's happening, not only is the violence closer to home, but its also more random and senseless.

You're comparing these "senseless" and "random" acts to times where if you went to court, you would probably get killed, due to the trials by ordeals and battles. Times where if you defied church, you'd most likely be dead (and by defy I mean thinking any other way that wasn't constituted as "correct" by the church).

Sure, the methods of killing have grown, but so has the population. Florida alone has 18x more people than all of Europe 1000 years ago.

The chance of a nuclear war are also very, very slim. Both sides carrying nuclear weapons know how powerful they are, and know they themselves could be wiped out about as fast as they wipe out their enemy.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

In the Middle Ages, saying: "I think taxes might be a tad on the high side" would lead to your immediate execution and, if you were lucky, not your immediate execution AND the execution of your family.

The Middle Ages featured plagues that could kill a man in a day, horrible wars that wiped out huge percentages of the population, unsafe roads, pillaging barbarians, and constant local wars.

The idea that our capacity for nuclear arms makes our lives more dangerous is silly; yes, we could end the lives of an entire city in the blink of an eye. In the Middle Ages, this was more difficult, but it was also a regular occurrence.

i hear what u are saying. But i am trying to do some research on the matter. I just don't see how its any different from now. We still kill each other, beat women, dying by millions to diseases we can't cure. have huge social injustices and horrendous laws. to me the only thing that's has dramatically changed is the randomness and destructive power of our violence. as i said i'm looking into it.

quote:

you also forgot how much it actually occurs..

Is there some research papers i could look at as evidence? I've been searching and i didn't see anything. IMO the world is a more dangerous place now than it ever was. Help me out.