Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Dwight Howard

I'm not gonna lie

quote:
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

which is strange because just about every authority out there has been corrupt in some form or matter and some of them intentionally destroyed their own people.

It seems to me that at the end of the day you are going to believe what you choose to. Macro Evolution is by no means the undisputed champion. It seems to me as basically mans way of understanding the world in which we live through study and research.

However, it doesn't explain some very fundamental human questions as in how we came to be and why are we here? for that you have to look elsewhere. I found it here...Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God...

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

However, it doesn't explain some very fundamental human questions as in how we came to be and why are we here? for that you have to look elsewhere. I found it here...Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God...

That would involve a discussion of cosmogenesis and biogenesis, both of which have nothing to do with evolution.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

quote:
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

which is strange because just about every authority out there has been corrupt in some form or matter and some of them intentionally destroyed their own people.

Again, that where choice comes in. we all have one. God has not chained us to his will. We have to follow or not. He knows how to deal with unruly governments.

p.s. i haven't responded to ur private post yet cause i want to give it a thorough answer. I haven't ignored it.

quote:
However, it doesn't explain some very fundamental human questions as in how we came to be and why are we here? for that you have to look elsewhere.

that's because those aren't really scientific questions. those are just things that we naturally ask as human beings.

you can ask 'well why does gravity exist? why can't we just fly?' but I'm sure God isn't going to tell me that either.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

That would involve a discussion of cosmogenesis and biogenesis, both of which have nothing to do with evolution.

If i have learned nothing else in this thread it is this reality. This thread may have started nasty but i have indeed learned a lot.

quote:

It seems to me that at the end of the day you are going to believe what you choose to. Macro Evolution is by no means the undisputed champion. It seems to me as basically mans way of understanding the world in which we live through study and research.

That doesn't answer my question at all. I really would like to understand this, because right now I have no clue how you're supposed to decide which parts to follow. I think I can say with almost absolute certainty that no one here lives their life exactly as the bible suggests.

I'm sure no one here has put their children to death. I'm sure no one here refuses to have physical contact with their wife while she's menstruating, nor does anyone destroy objects touched by a menstruating woman because they are unclean. What is it that makes those passages less important than the ones about creation, or even the ones about homosexuality?

quote:

quote:
However, it doesn't explain some very fundamental human questions as in how we came to be and why are we here? for that you have to look elsewhere.

that's because those aren't really scientific questions. those are just things that we naturally ask as human beings.

you can ask 'well why does gravity exist? why can't we just fly?' but I'm sure God isn't going to tell me that either.

You are right. As i said earlier. some things can't be put under a microscope.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

That doesn't answer my question at all. I really would like to understand this, because right now I have no clue how you're supposed to decide which parts to follow. I think I can say with almost absolute certainty that no one here lives their life exactly as the bible suggests.

I'm sure no one here has put their children to death. I'm sure no one here refuses to have physical contact with their wife while she's menstruating, nor does anyone destroy objects touched by a menstruating woman because they are unclean. What is it that makes those passages less important than the ones about creation, or even the ones about homosexuality?

Sorry. What i wrote was a summary of the thread as a whole.

quote:

quote:

quote:

and my question is why should they be? why are these questions important?

because humans have a need to feel meaningful. they don't want to feel like 'just another living thing' thus, in my mind, i believe we create a meaning through religion.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

Those are all very good questions. I'm not an expert but here are my two cents. there are many things in the bible that are difficult to understand unless you actually study it. a cursory reading of the bible is almost worse than not reading it at all. That's why many come up with "contradictions" and the like. the more u study you will find out when and why certain laws/ ordinances were put in place. then u can as it says "put line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little" to understand its fullness.

Second, the bible is unlike any book in history. It is spiritual (yes other books claim to be spiritual that's not my point). It has to be read prayerfully. The best way to understand something written is to hear from the author. Though the books were "written" by many men over thousands of years it is astonishingly single minded. the reason is that it was "god Breathed" or inspired by the spirit. that's why it says "The carnal man cannot understand many things about the bible because spiritual things are spiritually discerned."

The other thing is revelation, sometimes it is not time for something to be revealed. Many have testified to the fact that no matter how many times you read it there is always something new being discovered. something not "seen" before. Everything happens in due time. so if u don't get it all. give it time.

As i said i am not an expert, but i hope this helps you on your journey to understand the bible.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

and my question is why should they be? why are these questions important?

because humans have a need to feel meaningful. they don't want to feel like 'just another living thing' thus, in my mind, i believe we create a meaning through religion.

Duh...

On a side note, werewolves totally do exist.

scooby_werewolf.jpg