Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Like everyone has said already, PS4 simply took what Xbox wasn't doing and tried to rub it in their face but not taking into consideration that Xbox is trying to cater to the developers of these games. Used games hrut developers and publishers. USed games only help out companies like Gamestop. Example: Heavy Rain sold 2 million copies, but 3 million people have trophies. That's insane. The heavy Rain devs saw none of that money.

Like everyone has said already, PS4 simply took what Xbox wasn't doing and tried to rub it in their face but not taking into consideration that Xbox is trying to cater to the developers of these games. Used games hrut developers and publishers. USed games only help out companies like Gamestop. Example: Heavy Rain sold 2 million copies, but 3 million people have trophies. That's insane. The heavy Rain devs saw none of that money.

So you can't lend your buddies your games?

I spend my free time paying a morbidly obese man from Washington money for silly hats. These hats serve absolutely no function at all. Am I in the club now?

Nintendo is winning by default. It's not like their new system is overly impressive. It's a Wii with a new trinket and an extra letter attached to the name. They're just as guilty, its just that Mario and co. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You didn't happen to just have a baby boy, did you?

Used games hrut developers and publishers. USed games only help out companies like Gamestop. Example: Heavy Rain sold 2 million copies, but 3 million people have trophies. That's insane. The heavy Rain devs saw none of that money.

If I buy a couch from Rooms to Go, and two years later I sell that couch to a friend, Rooms to Go isn't going to see any of that money my friend gives me either, but no one really questions that, simply because with things like furniture, it's understood that once I buy that couch, it's mine to do with as I see fit.

The large reason people are upset with this new policy regarding used games is that they're, in a sense, telling people that they don't actually own the games they buy.

The bigger issue is that the game industry financial policy is deeply, deeply flawed: console sales aren't profitable for YEARS after launch, and with AAA titles costing more and more money to make, it's becoming harder and harder for individual games to be profitable. Things like banning used games is an attempt to solve that problem, but it's a short-term(and short-sighted) solution: when your industry is such that you can sell 3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider and have your company CEO complain about how bad those sales numbers are, you're industry has a serious problems with how much they're spending making games and more importantly, how much you're telling your investors your games are going to profit. Blaming your consumers is not a long-term strategy towards solving that problem. And when you're making a game that cost 200 million dollars to make and market, which is what some people pegged Bioshock: Infinite at costing, how can you EVER expect to turn a profit?

In your Heavy Rain example, it's also worth noting that the CEO who was quoted with that 1 million people took money out of my pocket thing was also quoted as saying that Sony made a 60 million dollar profit on Heavy Rain in its first year of release, so it's hard to take HIS particular beef seriously.

• Upvote 1

Quite simply, I don't think the SaaS model for games is a good model. You buy the game, play it, then move on. I could understand if the dlcs were free but then they wanna charge you for that too. They can't have it both ways.

Xbox understands the outrage about used games and apparently are working towards a policy that might work but still be profitable. Xbox is doing what Steam has been doing for so long. PC Gamers have been out of the "used games" loop for quite some time and I have read a lot of interviews with PC game developers and they believe Xbox is pushing towards an era in gaming that is inevitably going to happen. PS4's E3 really pissed me off because I was excited to see their rebuttal and all what was, "what ever Xbox is doing we're doing the opposite. Now check out our new controller and similar looking console." PS4 is winning the race but I do see Xbox catching more eyes as the time goes on. Here's some links that I've read that can hopefully help better understand the Xbox's intentions.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-16-bleszinski-aaa-numbers-dont-work-with-used-and-rental-games-around

"Xbox understands the outrage about used games and apparently are working towards a policy that might work but still be profitable"

Unless you work for Microsoft's gaming division, don't spout **** like this. It's absolutely pointless, and worse, it regurgitates Microsoft talking points that are already widely available as though you were providing new information.

"Xbox understands the outrage about used games and apparently are working towards a policy that might work but still be profitable"

Unless you work for Microsoft's gaming division, don't spout **** like this. It's absolutely pointless, and worse, it regurgitates Microsoft talking points that are already widely available as though you were providing new information.

What's so pointless about trying to cater to the people who are pissing and moaning about not getting playing their used games? I never said that i was providing new information, I was just simply providing articles that help clarify some of the single minded nonsense people have been spewing out (not in reference towards you.)

The Last of Us is absolutely amazing. The story is top notch and the game play, at times, is intense. Also I've just recently found that the online game play is very enjoyable.