Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Nintendo is winning by default. It's not like their new system is overly impressive. It's a Wii with a new trinket and an extra letter attached to the name. They're just as guilty, its just that Mario and co. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Oh it's a complete gimmick, but I applaud Nintendo's attempts to create something different, if nothing else. That, and I can't envision a video game world without that damn plumber.

Nintendo is winning by default. It's not like their new system is overly impressive. It's a Wii with a new trinket and an extra letter attached to the name. They're just as guilty, its just that Mario and co. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Main series Mario games also all happen to be masterfully made games. They've gotten lazy lately with all the New Super Mario Bros. clones, though. They're still fun, but not as good as Mario Bros. NES through Mario Galaxy 2.

After having a cracked copy of NBA Live 10 forever and ever, I finally broke down and "upgraded" to NBA 2K12 for 20 bucks.

Orlando Magic w/ Dwight Howard? Don't think so. So i had a fantasy draft..

C. Pau Gasol

PF. Luis Scola

SF. Kevin Durant

SG. Ray Allen

PG. Jameer Nelson

6th man: Nate Robinson

So this lineup kills, especially in transition.. what's funny is I barely ever miss with Jameer and lead the league in FG% with 60.7% shooting, lol.

So spending a lot of time with that and Dragon Age II.

Did anyone besides me pay attention to the E3 press conferences?

Because I never thought I'd see the day where a company could get standing ovations for announcing "Here's a list of horrible things we are NOT doing with our console", but here we are.

Because I never thought I'd see the day where a company could get standing ovations for announcing "Here's a list of horrible things we are NOT doing with our console", but here we are.

The days of video games are behind me but I have been paying attention. I don't think complicating access to used games/sharing games and requiring Internet connection is a good business model. The more complicated things are the more exclusive they'll be.

All the sports games (UFC, FIFA, 2k14) and Watch Dogs will steal all my time.

I nearly didn't play this year and I had a pretty mediocre year in college, imagine next year :creaturedance:

Sony is going to end up having a lot the same restrictions, they're just framing it better by saying it's up to the publishers. But when things actually get released and publishers see that they're not losing sales to used games on the Xbox, they're going to require some kind of authentication on the Playstation as well. And Sony has said that they will be able to do that. So I'm not sure what it is that they're doing that's going to be radically different from what Microsoft is doing.

Besides, look at what the 360 and PS3 were when they launched and look at what they are now. They're both completely different consoles than what launched. A lot of stuff is going to change once both companies see what works and what doesn't. People need to calm the hell down about this.

There's a better chance of Microsoft backing off their restrictions than Sony pulling a switcheroo on the consumer. It would be silly for Sony to rub Microsoft's nose in it like they did at E3 only to turn around and join in on the madness down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

How can you get away from that?

Sony itself doesn't have to do anything. Their stance is the same no matter what happens. They can maintain that no DRM is mandated by Sony while still having all this stuff mandated by publishers.

Keep in mind that the publishers are very much in favor of systems like what the xbox will have. This isn't a case of Microsoft being mean to their customers for no reason. This is an industry wide change that's going to happen.

Sony has since clarified their clarification that their policy of allowing publishers to have DRM was specifically referring to things like the previous EA online pass system, which EA has already announced they're dropping.

Sony has since clarified their clarification that their policy of allowing publishers to have DRM was specifically referring to things like the previous EA online pass system, which EA has already announced they're dropping.

I don't see how that changes anything. Have they said that publishers will be prohibited from implementing online pass-like systems that accomplish the same thing that the xbox does?

I can't see a publisher releasing a game for both consoles where one will have all these restrictions on it and the other will be completely free of those restrictions. If that in fact does happen, I will owe everyone here a coke. But I highly doubt it.