Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

I'm way late to the party on this, but I just beat episode 1, and the Telltale "The Walking Dead" game is absolutely incredible.

And unlike the TV show, the characters are actually interesting, and there has only been one instance so far where someone did something really, really stupid just to move the plot forward.

I'm way late to the party on this, but I just beat episode 1, and the Telltale "The Walking Dead" game is absolutely incredible.

And unlike the TV show, the characters are actually interesting, and there has only been one instance so far where someone did something really, really stupid just to move the plot forward.

You're in for one hell of a ride if you play it all the way through. That's the first game that has ever successfully made me feel bad about a decision I made in the game.

The graphic novel kicks the TV show's ass. That's why the game is so good.

You're in for one hell of a ride if you play it all the way through. That's the first game that has ever successfully made me feel bad about a decision I made in the game.

How much do the decisions end up mattering long term?

I'm on episode 2, and I'm still having certain decisions from early Ep 1 thrown back in my face, but outside of one instance of "Which of these minor characters would you like to save?", the decisions don't seem to matter a super amount.

As a side question: Why the hell does no one in the group talk about how in episode 1, Larry wanted to shoot a little kid and then later tried to murder you? That seems like something someone would wanna talk about.

How much do the decisions end up mattering long term?

I'm on episode 2, and I'm still having certain decisions from early Ep 1 thrown back in my face, but outside of one instance of "Which of these minor characters would you like to save?", the decisions don't seem to matter a super amount.

As a side question: Why the hell does no one in the group talk about how in episode 1, Larry wanted to shoot a little kid and then later tried to murder you? That seems like something someone would wanna talk about.

I only played through it once, so I don't really know how much the decisions affect the overall story. I'd guess it's mostly just picking which characters are alive at different points and which ones hate you.

But the cool thing is that it presents you with a lot of situations where there isn't a clear correct choice, and it doesn't give you time to think about what you want to do. It gives you a real sense of panic sometimes.

Most games that give you choices aren't very good at disguising the choices you aren't supposed to make so they seem like viable options. TWD says ***** that, we're just going to make you choose quickly between equally terrible things and then let you deal with what happens.

It was good for the atmosphere of the game. I felt bad most of the time I was playing it, and that's exactly what a Walking Dead game should do. The story in the comics and in that universe a whole isn't zombie horror. It's about people losing their humanity, with zombies being the mechanism to get there. With that in mind, the game is perfect.

Have you read the entire thing so far? I stopped buying comics around issue 100, but I do plan to keep buying TPBs as they come out.

No, I haven't read the entire thing so far. I don't know the issue numbers because I have been reading compilations. I think i'm only halfway through. Regardless, the story was much more enthralling than the show, which I simply can't take seriously. Maybe it's that there is more of a willingness to suspend disbelief with comics, or maybe they are just written and illustrated that damn well.

Well, the reason the whole "trying to murder you" thing doesn't come up is because only you know it happened. If you bring it up to others, questions will come up as to why, and it will lead to your murder conviction, which is a big factor in the first half of the game. Also, the skinny guy with a hat(the hell was his name) isn't exactly thrilled with Larry's threats against his son, either.

I agree with treehorn's sentiments that there really isn't a clearly "correct" decision sometimes, and the time limit really adds a lot of pressure to your choices. I'm not sure just how dynamic the story really is in terms of adapting to player choices, but the ride was certainly enjoyable, and even if you're forced along a generally preordained path, the story and characters more than make up for it and provide a pleasant experience.

I only played through it once myself, so I also am not sure of how much it really can change.

Maybe it's that there is more of a willingness to suspend disbelief with comics, or maybe they are just written and illustrated that damn well.

It's because you're in control when you're reading a comic. It's like a storyboard to a movie, so you kind of fill in all the gaps between scenes and you can interpret the characters however you want. The way I hear Rick in my head is completely different than the Rick in the show. And it's like that with all the characters. I like my version better.