Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Yes, more people joining the anti-cable revolution!

Speaking of the new xbox, anyone have any thoughts on the rumors that the next-gen systems are going to disallow used games?

My thought is that this is horrible. I always buy my games used from Gamestop. I can't tell you how much money I've saved in my 8 years of making huge purchases from them. And I can't lend or borrow games with friends? ***** that. There are some games I don't necessarily desire in my collection but want to play so I borrow them, and my friends do the same with me. How much bull**** that would cause if you couldn't share games.

My thought is that this is horrible. I always buy my games used from Gamestop. I can't tell you how much money I've saved in my 8 years of making huge purchases from them. And I can't lend or borrow games with friends? ***** that. There are some games I don't necessarily desire in my collection but want to play so I borrow them, and my friends do the same with me. How much bull**** that would cause if you couldn't share games.

I echo your sentiments.

I've seen people argue that Steam basically has already implemented the same model with PC gaming, and PC gaming hasn't crumbled as a result. But I see a few problems with that argument.

1. There has never been a used market or a rental market for PC games. You've never been able to go to a Blockbuster or Gamefly and rent PC games. It's a different animal entirely. I don't think there is anyone in our age range that didn't get extremely excited to go to the local Blockbuster and pore through their selection of NES or SNES or Genesis games in hopes of finding a gem that they would later convince their parents to buy for a birthday or Christmas or whatever. PC gaming just doesn't have an equivalent to that.

2. Consoles have always been about getting together with friends and neighbors and playing games together. Online console gaming has really only been around for the current generation of consoles. Yeah, Xbox live was there with the original xbox, and the Dreamcast had online capability, but the consoles before 2005 were focused on providing an experience that could be shared with multiple people playing on the same console. Nintendo's entire business model is based on this concept. It would be a huge mistake to throw that all out the window, and if it does actually happen (I don't think it will), I think there's a very real possibility that Nintendo recaptures their previous stature. They sold a ****-ton of Wiis, but their standing in the gaming industry has taken a bit of a hit lately. I think that will reverse if Sony and Microsoft go full-on anti-used.

3. The argument that the used game market shouldn't exist is complete bull****. You hear this a lot with people who are anti-Gamestop and only buy new games because they want to support the developer. You also hear it a lot from developers themselves. They say that they put so much time and effort into making these games, and then when someone buys their game used from a Gamestop they don't see a dime from that sale. My stance is why should they see money from that sale?

When you buy a used car from someone, the manufacturer of the car doesn't profit. Should they? I don't think so, and I don't think you can find many people who would make the argument that they should. Why should video game developers be any different? If you're going to be against the idea of buying used games or renting games, you also have to be against the same idea for movies and music and TV shows and any other creative endeavor which supports a used market. You have be against the idea of bargain-bin DVDs. You have to be against the idea of record stores that sell used CDs. And if we extend this idea to its logical conclusion, you have to be against the idea of selling any used goods. That means thrift stores, garage sales, ebay, craigslist...all that stuff. If you're going to take a principled stand against what Gamestop does, you have to also take that same principled stand against everything else that sells used goods in a way that the original manufacturer does not profit. This is obviously ridiculous, and that conclusion should not change when we're talking about video games.

Speaking of the new xbox, anyone have any thoughts on the rumors that the next-gen systems are going to disallow used games?

It's bull **** but they can do whatever they want, we're still gonna buy the newer games because they're cooler and flashier etc.

It's bull **** but they can do whatever they want, we're still gonna buy the newer games because they're cooler and flashier etc.

Nintendo won't endorse it, at least.

They need to get the ball rolling on some serious first party software for the Wii U like a new Metroid so that they cans sell systems and gather some third party support. I'm gonna buy that thing when the games are here. I made the mistake of buying the 3DS too early.

Nintendo won't endorse it, at least.

They need to get the ball rolling on some serious first party software for the Wii U like a new Metroid so that they cans sell systems and gather some third party support. I'm gonna buy that thing when the games are here. I made the mistake of buying the 3DS too early.

Likewise. I want it right now but no game has come out thus far to telling me that I need it. Pikmin 3 will probably succeed in doing that, though.

Likewise. I want it right now but no game has come out thus far to telling me that I need it. Pikmin 3 will probably succeed in doing that, though.

Yeah. I'm glad I have a 3DS now. Several awesome games. Plus I wet back and got those DS Castlevania games... And they're awesome.

I never got into Pikmin, but I would have a similar reaction to a Metroid announcement.

Just rented the new medal of honor from game fly. Only played online so far, didnt care for it. Spawns are awful in TDM, and the other modes are gay..or I just gottanget used to the modes, dunno.

And black ops 2...are the new maps n gun worth it

Not gonna happen...