Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I've played, I think, 5 games between the Tales of Arcadia series and the Star Ocean series, and I'd take every single one of them over FFXIII.

Even Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time, which had the worst plot of any RPG I've ever played. (It made the terrible story in Radiata Stories seem deep and poignant by comparison.)

I also agree with Lewis to some extent about FFXIII's story: they swung really hard with FFX's method of storytelling by painting strictly with broad strokes, and in FFXII they tried so hard to be subtle that half the things they talked about made no **** sense. It seemed like with FFXIII they were stuck trying to bridge the two, and the failures did abound. The parts that were supposed to be broad were just confusing, and the parts that were supposed to be subtle were obvious.

And the ending made no sense in the context of what the game had spent hours building up, in terms of the desires of the different characters, and that's a serious issue. It isn't FFX level ridiculous for a plot, but it wasn't good.

i just think the protagonist's motives were all shallow after the group assembled. everything they did was because "if you don't do it, i'll just find someone who will". There wasn't any subtlety in what they were doing. The "main bad guy" wasn't the careful puppet master pulling strings that the characters couldn't see, but a guy who gave the ultimatum that if you disobey, ill turn you into a zombie.

I liked all of the characters though. Although some were annoying, at least they had a background and emotions and conflicts.

I wish they could take these characters and put them into FF12.

I also liked how the archyle steppe was built so you had to avoid many fights. It gave a more "real world" atmosphere where I could die at any moment instead of the usual "i beat the last level easily so this level I should be able to fight everything semi-easily too" type of system.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I played a game called "Date hot girls and take them out for candy and soda" while you guys were playing World of Starcraft and listening to Ace of Base in your mommas living room eating old hot dogs from the last time your friend slept over. lmfao

Taking your sisters barbies and raiding your mums fridge dont count Jareth.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I've played, I think, 5 games between the Tales of Arcadia series and the Star Ocean series, and I'd take every single one of them over FFXIII.

Even Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time, which had the worst plot of any RPG I've ever played. (It made the terrible story in Radiata Stories seem deep and poignant by comparison.)

I also agree with Lewis to some extent about FFXIII's story: they swung really hard with FFX's method of storytelling by painting strictly with broad strokes, and in FFXII they tried so hard to be subtle that half the things they talked about made no **** sense. It seemed like with FFXIII they were stuck trying to bridge the two, and the failures did abound. The parts that were supposed to be broad were just confusing, and the parts that were supposed to be subtle were obvious.

And the ending made no sense in the context of what the game had spent hours building up, in terms of the desires of the different characters, and that's a serious issue. It isn't FFX level ridiculous for a plot, but it wasn't good.

Difference in likes then. FFX to me is the best of the Final Fantasy series, ahead of my 2nd favorite IV, and third VII. Too me XIII is no where near the worst games in the series like say II, V, and IX. Just simply average. A bad plot mixed in with fun characters and a good battle system.

But I've also learned that FF is the most polarizing series in gaming. Every single game has both its lovers and haters. I've had people threaten me physical harm for calling IX the worse of the series, and then question my intelligence for saying X was the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

i just think the protagonist's motives were all shallow after the group assembled. everything they did was because "if you don't do it, i'll just find someone who will". There wasn't any subtlety in what they were doing. The "main bad guy" wasn't the careful puppet master pulling strings that the characters couldn't see, but a guy who gave the ultimatum that if you disobey, ill turn you into a zombie.

I liked all of the characters though. Although some were annoying, at least they had a background and emotions and conflicts.

I wish they could take these characters and put them into FF12.

I also liked how the archyle steppe was built so you had to avoid many fights. It gave a more "real world" atmosphere where I could die at any moment instead of the usual "i beat the last level easily so this level I should be able to fight everything semi-easily too" type of system.

Rare, but I agree with you on all counts here. The lack of a central bad dude was a huge hurt to the game IMO. There was no point where the game came out right at the begining and said "This bugger is trouble" like Sephiroth, Seymour, or Golbez.

But to me the characters were nicely developed, even though some were annoying. Vanille I wanted to kill, but they actually matured her well as the plot wore on. To me this shows that Nomura's, like always, strength lies in his characters, not his storyline.

That and I loved how for once the battles were no longer push overs. In most FF games I die once ore twice and thats it. Even the older ones rarely provided some sense of challenge. This one? I died. I died alot. It was refreshing to know that there are still challenges left in this game, not pointless grinding.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

quote:

I played a game called "Date hot girls and take them out for candy and soda" while you guys were playing World of Starcraft and listening to Ace of Base in your mommas living room eating old hot dogs from the last time your friend slept over. lmfao

Taking your sisters barbies and raiding your mums fridge dont count Jareth.

bahahaha

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

STEAM is having HUGE sale right now, giving discounts up to 75%.

WHAT IS STEAM ABOUT ANYHOW SORRY

Are you serious...?

http://store.steampowered.com/

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

STEAM is having HUGE sale right now, giving discounts up to 75%.

WHAT IS STEAM ABOUT ANYHOW SORRY

when you heat up water it turns into a vapor

quote:
Originally posted by JJ is MY homeboy:

Bioshock 2 is a reaaaaly good game I would reccomend to anyone with an xbox/ps3... single player's amazing and multiplayer isn't that bad for a game primarily known for it's single player

If you were a fan of the original Bioshock then you would understand Bioshock 2 has no reason to exist.