Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

I can't comment on Wii-U since I haven't played it, but I was unimpressed by the Wii and GameCube was an abomination. The N64 was on par with Playatation but since then it's like Nintendo is trying to be second rate on purpose.

Gamecube was an abomination? You must be joking. Melee alone makes it, but it also had Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. Their library was clearly superior to Xbox and on par with PS2.

Oh and the original release of Resident Evil 4.

I love the N64 and I have nostalgia out the ass for it, but it's supremely overrated. Super Nintendo and Gamecube had better games. N64 was in the infancy of 3D gameplay and the controls and graphics of their games left them to age rather poorly. Super Ninteno was the perfection of the 16-bit/2D era and Gamecube was a refinement of what the N64 brought.

Gamecube was an abomination? You must be joking. Melee alone makes it, but it also had Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. Their library was clearly superior to Xbox and on par with PS2.

I love the N64 and I have nostalgia out the ass for it, but it's supremely overrated. Super Nintendo and Gamecube had better games. N64 was in the infancy of 3D gameplay and the controls and graphics of their games left them to age rather poorly. Super Ninteno was the perfection of the 16-bit/2D era and Gamecube was a refinement of what the N64 brought.

See, now I know where we're going with this. I've been looking strictly at the hardware and the system itself, whereas you've been looking at the games. Neither of us are right or wrong, but we're looking at the same thing in two completely different ways. Here is what I want, I want a system that has great games like the ones you mentioned, on a system that can rival PS4 and XBOX 720. Am I asking for too much? Maybe, but I think they could do it if they really wanted to.

But I ask for a lot of things I know I will never get, like a new Crash Bandicoot game for PS4.

I don't know, man. The N64 was pretty awesome when it was the current technology.

I remember the first time I played Mario 64 I thought the future had arrived. And the way the camera zoomed in when you used the sniper rifle in Goldeneye. It wasn't that it zoomed in, it was the way it zoomed in. It seemed so real and that kind of stuff hadn't been done before. It may look like **** now, but at the time it was pretty amazing.

Also, four people playing WCW/NWO World Tour was the tits. Back then, playing stuff like that made you feel like you were playing on future technology. The Gamecube didn't really do that, although I do agree with you that it had some awesome games.

In the sense that Nintendo hasn't had a "holy ****" moment since the N64, I agree with Trey.

The N64 was my gateway console to gaming. I want to get back to being that excited to play a video game. Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart with friends, GoldenEye, NBA Hangtime, WWF No Mercy were games I loved so much laugh.gif/> . Hopefully these next gen consoles will bring me back to feeling that way.

My Atari 2600 was a gateway to console gaming...

I have very vague memories of playing my neighbor's 5200, but the NES had already exploded at that point and I thought Atari was just a second rate knockoff Nintendo.

The original Castlevania for NES was the first video game I ever played.

I don't know, man. The N64 was pretty awesome when it was the current technology.

I remember the first time I played Mario 64 I thought the future had arrived. And the way the camera zoomed in when you used the sniper rifle in Goldeneye. It wasn't that it zoomed in, it was the way it zoomed in. It seemed so real and that kind of stuff hadn't been done before. It may look like **** now, but at the time it was pretty amazing.

Also, four people playing WCW/NWO World Tour was the tits. Back then, playing stuff like that made you feel like you were playing on future technology. The Gamecube didn't really do that, although I do agree with you that it had some awesome games.

In the sense that Nintendo hasn't had a "holy ****" moment since the N64, I agree with Trey.

I grew up with the N64, Jackie. It was what I knew, so it couldn't wow me. Nostalgia alone has probably prompted me to consider at least 5 of my top 10 favorite games to be from that console.

From a gameplay and technical standpoint, Gamecube blew N64 away.

I grew up with the N64, Jackie. It was what I knew, so it couldn't wow me. Nostalgia alone has probably prompted me to consider at least 5 of my top 10 favorite games to be from that console.

All this time I assumed you were around the same age as me. Probably because we joined the forum on the same day.

I think I'd have to put two N64 games in my top ten. Mario 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

From a gameplay and technical standpoint, Gamecube blew N64 away.

That's true, and there isn't really anything wrong with the Gamecube itself. The problem was that it was competing with the PS2. Given the choice between the two, nostalgia and brand loyalty were the only reasons to go with the Gamecube.

The N64 was pretty much on par with the PlayStation. They excelled at different things, but neither was a clearly superior system to the other. That hasn't been the case since then. The other available consoles have offered so much more than Nintendo's stuff that it's hard for people like me who stick with one console per generation to justify owning one.

To tie it in to basketball, it's like how the 2010 Magic may have been a better team in every way than the 2009 Magic, but the 2010 team didn't do as well relative to the rest of the league as the 2009 team did, so we remember the 09 team as being better.

Their library was clearly superior to Xbox and on par with PS2.

Is that even possible from a sheer numbers perspective? The PS2's library triples that of the GameCube. Yeah, yeah, quality over quantity...but still. When I have over 1000 more games to choose from, I'm going to come up with a better list.

And the way the camera zoomed in when you used the sniper rifle in Goldeneye. It wasn't that it zoomed in, it was the way it zoomed in. It seemed so real and that kind of stuff hadn't been done before. It may look like **** now, but at the time it was pretty amazing.

I played Goldeneye a few months ago with some buddies and we did the 4 player split screen thing. As awful as it looks today, it's still just as fun. The second the game starts in Temple, it's like you're instantly back to being 10 years old on Christmas break. I sometimes wonder if the current gaming industry will be able to provide the kids of today that kind of nostalgia 10-20 years from now.