Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

I finished Mass Effect while stuck in my house during Snowlocaust 2: Snow Harder and Snowlocaust 3: How I learned to Stop Shoveling and Play Mass Effect, and I'm now playing Mass Effect 2.

ME1 is an overly ambitious western RPG in space that sometimes lacks focus. ME2 is basically a heist movie made into a video game about killing aliens.

Come to think of it, "The Dirty Dozen" might be a better movie example for ME2, since that movie similarly to ME2 involves organizing a team, training the team for a suicide mission, and then doing the suicide mission.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I finished Mass Effect while stuck in my house during Snowlocaust 2: Snow Harder and Snowlocaust 3: How I learned to Stop Shoveling and Play Mass Effect, and I'm now playing Mass Effect 2.

ME1 is an overly ambitious western RPG in space that sometimes lacks focus. ME2 is basically a heist movie made into a video game about killing aliens.

Come to think of it, "The Dirty Dozen" might be a better movie example for ME2, since that movie similarly to ME2 involves organizing a team, training the team for a suicide mission, and then doing the suicide mission.

Do you like MEF 2? I love it and glad they fixed some of the annoying stuff that was in the first one like the Missions on the planets in the Mako or looking for minerals. I think the story is better too, on my second playthrough now on insane difficulty and its taking some time and forces you to play much more strategically as far as teammates and combining biotic powers and using engineers and such.

I'm still on my first playthrough, but I don't really like some of the decisions I made in retrospect, so I may start over.

It's clearly an improvement overall, but there were a couple choices I don't really like. The new method of gaining money, for one. I've frequently found that I rarely have enough to buy the upgrades I want, and there's not much way to make money outside of missions. I can respect that they had a problem of money being so easy to come by in the first game; I was maxed out less than halfway through ME1, but I think they shifted too hard the other way.

I'd have liked to have seen the universe get bigger, with missions on more planets. I can respect why they didn't, and I know they'll likely turn the last in the trilogy into a plot-heavy epic, but a decent chunk of the game's story was played on the same 3 planets. That's kind of annoying when you have created a universe as expansive as ME's.

Also: I don't get the need to turn the unique ammunitions from ME1 into powers in ME2. Wanting to differentiate characters is fine, but you're not going to make me want to use a party member whose best skill is "concussive shot".

Having said all that, this really is as good a straight sequel as I can remember playing in some time. The character dialogue during gameplay is outstanding(if not always believable. More on that later), the dialogue between NPCs is both spot on believable and sometimes hilarious(the human throwing a bachelor party for a Salarian, who doesn't understand the tradition, was hilarious).

The new mining system is MUCH better than ME1, and even more amazing is that, unlike ME2, it's actually useful for a reason beyond just getting experience. By making the mining necessary for upgrades(and the upgrades necessary to accomplish anything), the whole system felt more natural.

I didn't like the elimination of grenades, but 4 of the 5 heavy weapons I've found are solid(the collector beam sucks outloud, and I was openly angry when I picked it up, since it auto-replaced the heavy weapon I had been using for that mission).

The new NPCs are interesting, and allowed them in at least one instance to completely change the mythology of a core race from the first game without it looking like a "because we said so" moment. The "every woman wants some of Shepherd" still seems ridiculous, but nothing in ME2 comes close to the "Thanks for telling me you shot my mother; now I'm going to awkwardly hit on you" dialogue with Liara from ME1. Still though, I was half-expecting the ****ed Rachni-mother to show up and want to make out with Shepherd the way the game was going.

As someone who leans towards Sniper Rifles in games like this, it was nice that they made the Sniper Rifle more useful in this game than it was in ME1, where it was basically useless. Infiltrators are still completely useless when it comes to crowd control, though. Oh well.

So yeah, good game overall. I'm expecting good things from ME3. Hopefully it's more expansive. Given the various possible endings of ME2, that seems like a reasonable notion.

quote:

I'm still on my first playthrough, but I don't really like some of the decisions I made in retrospect, so I may start over.

It's clearly an improvement overall, but there were a couple choices I don't really like. The new method of gaining money, for one. I've frequently found that I rarely have enough to buy the upgrades I want, and there's not much way to make money outside of missions. I can respect that they had a problem of money being so easy to come by in the first game; I was maxed out less than halfway through ME1, but I think they shifted too hard the other way.

I'd have liked to have seen the universe get bigger, with missions on more planets. I can respect why they didn't, and I know they'll likely turn the last in the trilogy into a plot-heavy epic, but a decent chunk of the game's story was played on the same 3 planets. That's kind of annoying when you have created a universe as expansive as ME's.

Also: I don't get the need to turn the unique ammunitions from ME1 into powers in ME2. Wanting to differentiate characters is fine, but you're not going to make me want to use a party member whose best skill is "concussive shot".

Having said all that, this really is as good a straight sequel as I can remember playing in some time. The character dialogue during gameplay is outstanding(if not always believable. More on that later), the dialogue between NPCs is both spot on believable and sometimes hilarious(the human throwing a bachelor party for a Salarian, who doesn't understand the tradition, was hilarious).

The new mining system is MUCH better than ME1, and even more amazing is that, unlike ME2, it's actually useful for a reason beyond just getting experience. By making the mining necessary for upgrades(and the upgrades necessary to accomplish anything), the whole system felt more natural.

I didn't like the elimination of grenades, but 4 of the 5 heavy weapons I've found are solid(the collector beam sucks outloud, and I was openly angry when I picked it up, since it auto-replaced the heavy weapon I had been using for that mission).

The new NPCs are interesting, and allowed them in at least one instance to completely change the mythology of a core race from the first game without it looking like a "because we said so" moment. The "every woman wants some of Shepherd" still seems ridiculous, but nothing in ME2 comes close to the "Thanks for telling me you shot my mother; now I'm going to awkwardly hit on you" dialogue with Liara from ME1. Still though, I was half-expecting the ****ed Rachni-mother to show up and want to make out with Shepherd the way the game was going.

As someone who leans towards Sniper Rifles in games like this, it was nice that they made the Sniper Rifle more useful in this game than it was in ME1, where it was basically useless. Infiltrators are still completely useless when it comes to crowd control, though. Oh well.

So yeah, good game overall. I'm expecting good things from ME3. Hopefully it's more expansive. Given the various possible endings of ME2, that seems like a reasonable notion.

Did you upload your character form MEF1? You know if you do they give you tons of credits that should help on the money issue. Same thing on your second playthrough. I like how you can get upgrades to lear a new skill(don't know if you got that yet) You can use it over and over again and it might help with the concussive shot issue. Not going to do any spoilers but if you like getting achievements make sure you upgrade the Normandy and make all your characters loyal.I never had any problems with money, are you doing all the side missions or just staying with the main quest?

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

Did you upload your character form MEF1? You know if you do they give you tons of credits that should help on the money issue. Same thing on your second playthrough. I like how you can get upgrades to lear a new skill(don't know if you got that yet) You can use it over and over again and it might help with the concussive shot issue. Not going to do any spoilers but if you like getting achievements make sure you upgrade the Normandy and make all your characters loyal.I never had any problems with money, are you doing all the side missions or just staying with the main quest?

Yeh, I had no issue with money either in regards to buying the weapon upgrades, however I can't stand the mining system I actually think its worse than exploring the planets from the 1st game.

I do love the characters in it though, they certainly grow and develop as the story progresses. I personally enjoyed Jacks character and growth through the game, I just hope the 3rd is more expansive as I find it doesn't take long for me to complete everything in the ME games. Still not a patch on the KOTOR games though.

I have a PS3. Already beat God of War 3(EPIC GAME!) and have been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. That game takes a huge dump on MW2. Very fun game.

I still play NBA Live 10 from time to time too.

classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"

height="385"

width="640"

>

value="transparent"

>

value="never"

>

name="movie"

/>

/>

/>